Birds in DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I forgot about the cattle egrets. Our neighbor has been bringing his cows and calfs over since the drought dried up his pasture. They graze on our grass and tree trimmings. The white birds come along with them.
You probably have grackles around as well. They are always around cattle.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
In Coson we used to have loads of egrets that would fly up into the hills each morning and glide back down & return to the cenega in the evenings to roost, obviously with the expansion of Wyndam resort and all of Nomades etc etc down on the shore line
they slowly but surely flew the coop so to say. In the hills above Playa Coson we had plenty of humming birds, some woodpeckers and for awhile several owls living on the property. The most beautiful species we had living around the house was the bright green hued Broad billed Tody, what a treat to have them around the house. (as you can see from the amount of s*** on the side mirror, it was a favorite perch)

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I am filthy with hummingbirds! I have 5 feeders, and I get Antillean Mangos and Vervains all day, plus bananaquits. Also have pigeons, mockingbirds, carpinteros, and the occasional Hispaniolan Lizard Cuckoo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Those red headed buzzards are something

Both here and in the US, I have approached one in my car while it was eating it's roadkill..... they only eat dead animals
Each time it looked at the car and spread it's wings to warn me off !!!

Imagine..... a car !!
Not afraid one bit

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Lots of birds in Jamao. Daily bird migrations every morning and evening from the farmers' grazing areas to their nests by the river. Songbirds throughout the day. Pigeons. Doves. (Maybe they are the same thing.) Black birds of some sort. Humming birds. Owls. Chicken hawks soaring in the skies.

Something is wrong where you live, Alter Ego. Maybe too close to SD?????
Not really. I live near Bravo Supermarket (urb. Fernandez), and the neighborhood have lots of parrots flying in groups during the morning and the afternoon, and more urbanized we can't be. Same happens in Gazcue near the Central Bank.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Not really. I live near Bravo Supermarket (urb. Fernandez), and the neighborhood have lots of parrots flying in groups during the morning and the afternoon, and more urbanized we can't be. Same happens in Gazcue near the Central Bank.
These ones, to be exact:

Parrot 4.jpg

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The same at Union Medica in Santiago. Lots of parrots on the side of the towers.

My house in Arroyo Hondo had dozens of them visiting every morning and afternoon. Probably from the Botanical Gardens

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All these bird posts are making me feel seriously deprived. Guess I have to be satisfied with the parade of chickens from neighboring properties 😂

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
All these bird posts are making me feel seriously deprived. Guess I have to be satisfied with the parade of chickens from neighboring properties 😂
Funny how different areas have different bird density. I have birds throughout the day, all around the yard. But, our yard is full of fruit trees and bushes. We have coconut, guava, guanabana, avocado, cherry, sour orange, mango, cranberry?, cajuil, banana, and platano. We enjoy a huge variety of birds throughout the year.

Reactions: AlterEgo

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Funny how different areas have different bird density. I have birds throughout the day, all around the yard. But, our yard is full of fruit trees and bushes. We have coconut, guava, guanabana, avocado, cherry, sour orange, mango, cranberry?, cajuil, banana, and platano. We enjoy a huge variety of birds throughout the year.
EXACTLY, birds need places to nest, to hide, to feed...etc. Our Trinitaria arch at the school is always full of birds.

Florave

Aug 1, 2021
Cabrera, DOM
I am an avid bird enthusiast from Watertown, MA living in Abreu, Cabrera. At first, I was rather disappointed in how few birds I was seeing. After I started creating a bird-friendly plant garden, birds started to show up. I have put in mostly native plants (it was quite a daunting task finding these plants – mostly from the nurseries at the botanical garden in Santo Domingo and Santiago and plant rescues from areas about to be developed). These plants provide a year-round food supply. I also include bird baths, and I don’t use pesticides/herbicides as this wipes out an important food source for birds. This is the 3rd year for my garden daily I can see 17-20 different species and more during migration season (Oct – Dec, Apr-May). Birds are facing tremendous pressures world-wide and they need all the help we can provide. If you plant it, they will come.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Check out this tower block construction.

Attachments

• 20230328_115920.jpg
    20230328_115920.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • Wow
Reactions: dulce

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I give them birds a lot of credit. Even with all the new construction projects and renovations taking place in the center of town, they aint going without a fight.