bringing a temporary residency up-to-date

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
and yes, I need to visit with an attorney but...I obtained my temporary residency years ago but returned to the workforce in conus and never completed the mandatory renewals to get the permanent residency. My question then...can this temporary residency be brought up-to-date ($$$) or must I start from scratch? Thanks

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
when did it expire ?
and; NO you do not need an attorney. You can do it by your self online. Very Easy !!!

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
You should not need a lawyer, you should be able to do it yourself online. You will need to create an account here and then select SOLICITUD DE RENOVACIÓN DE RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL

You will need to apply for a CERTIFICACIÓN DE BUENA CONDUCTA which you can easily do here by creating an account first.

You can pay for everything online and if there is a fine for expired residencia then you will have to pay that but not sure if you can pay that online as that has never happened to me. Here is a list of the fines:

Reactions: banzai

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
You should not need a lawyer, you should be able to do it yourself online. You will need to create an account here and then select SOLICITUD DE RENOVACIÓN DE RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL

You will need to apply for a CERTIFICACIÓN DE BUENA CONDUCTA which you can easily do here by creating an account first.

You can pay for everything online and if there is a fine for expired residencia then you will have to pay that but not sure if you can pay that online as that has never happened to me. Here is a list of the fines:
tried to create an account using my expired residency number but it comes back as not valid...not a good sign so-far. I'll try using my passport.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Another poster here had a problem with this on another thread. One problem was in getting the Carta de Buena Conducta since he had been out of the country so long. I think he was finally able to resolve that, but not sure if he was ever able to renew his residency w/o starting all over(?)

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
Another poster here had a problem with this on another thread. One problem was in getting the Carta de Buena Conducta since he had been out of the country so long. I think he was finally able to resolve that, but not sure if he was ever able to renew his residency w/o starting all over(?)
yes, many hoops to jump through either way. I may just pay the exit fines if/when I need to leave although being legal was my desire.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
He had the online account, so was able to complete the process. If this OP can't create an account, and is fortunate to be in a location where there is a Migracion office (such as Puerto Plata), perhaps they can provide some guidance on how to proceed. It would be a shame to have to begin again.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
from what I can glean from the link that T sent about the fines it would be 70K pesos at least. I'm not too interested in that avenue especially since there surely would be other costs involved plus my residency would still be temporary. While not legal, there used to be a provision to pay the overstay upon departure. Is this still doable?

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
I had let my temporary residency expire several years ago. It was probably expired for 5-6 years. I had used Guzman for my initial residency and for a prior renewal, so went back to them to find out if I needed to start over or if my existing residency could be brought up to date. They said we could bring my existing residency up to date, but there would be penalties to pay, They handled the renewal with the penalties, but what I was also required to do was to go back to Santo Domingo and redo the medical tests before I could proceed. It all went smoothly, I think it took a few months. I don't how much the penalties were, but I think they were substantial.

Reactions: banzai and cavok

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008

So if you pay the fine you can renew

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's an old list and those are overstay fees. There are also late residency renewal fees. I think they're now 1000 pesos/mo late.