Canadians travel to the Dominican Republic is booming

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Turistas-El-Dia-e1619443060932.jpg

Ease of access by direct flights from Canada to several Dominican airports, abundance of beaches and temperatures ranging from 30°C to 19°C during the winter months make this country very attractive for Canadians wishing to escape the winter cold.

The Ministry of Tourism says that Quebec tourists travel to the DR increased by at least 66% in 2023, as reported in Actual News Magazine. The report explains that the number of Canadian tourists is so high, Punta Cana has a nickname – Punta Canada.

French-speaking tourists have decided to buy second homes or relocate to Punta Cana, Cabarete or Las Terrenas. Many have opened small businesses, adding to the cosmopolitan air of these tourist destinations.

From 5 to 31 January 2024, Air Transat had requested a special permit to operate 56 round-trip flights on the routes Hamilton /Puerto Plata / Ottawa; Hamilton /Punta Cana/Quebec City...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If they are coming from Quebec Canada, they don't actually speak French.
Well, it is a French that can be understood by other French speaking people. My former boss grew up and was educated in France and he had no problem understanding them. It is as French as Dominican Spanish is Spanish. There are a number of different dialects depending on what part of the province they are from.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Well, it is a French that can be understood by other French speaking people. My former boss grew up and was educated in France and he had no problem understanding them. It is as French as Dominican Spanish is Spanish. There are a number of different dialects depending on what part of the province they are from.
Well I wsa studing french and Canandian French its very hard to understand fro other French speakers. For example at French Aliance they teach me that pronunciation for Parte was fett and in Quebec they says fait. My teacher was from Paris and she told me for her was really hard to understand french from Quebec.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I was working for a company in Canada, I was there for a sales meeting in Ottowa. Back then I could speak French.
Two women were speaking to each other. One of them I could understand every word, the other I had no idea what she was saying.
When I asked why that was so to the woman I could understand, that woman, who was from France said, " That is easy, I am speaking French".
Yes, the woman from France could understand what the other was saying, but I had only learned Parisian French in school from elementary school onward.
I, however, could not decipher potat from pomme de terre.

Reactions: thompstr

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well I wsa studing french and Canandian French its very hard to understand fro other French speakers. For example at French Aliance they teach me that pronunciation for Parte was fett and in Quebec they says fait. My teacher was from Paris and she told me for her was really hard to understand french from Quebec.
Thank you for confirming what I also experienced first hand in Canada. They might as well be speaking Creole.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
And a lot of English speaking people have considerable difficulty understanding British English.
Or Spanish speakers with Spanish spoken around the globe.
So what?
Who cares?
If you want to cast aspersions on someone or something...try colonization.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
And a lot of English speaking people have considerable difficulty understanding British English.
Or Spanish speakers with Spanish spoken around the globe.
So what?
Who cares?
If you want to cast aspersions on someone or something...try colonization.

Sorry Mod. just saw your post, will not continue on Language. Yes lots of Canadians, even in Juan Dolio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: La Profe_1

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It could be argued that Canadians in general, and Québecers in particular, built (in a manner of speaking) Punta Cana...along with a little help from the Italians and the Brits.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
CB, if you cannot post anything in this thread that is of value, do not post any more of your snark!

• Love
Reactions: keepcoming

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
Was this comment really necessary? Canadians have been traveling to the DR for many years which clearly is important to the economy in the DR.
It was a joke - try to understand the humor
We get plenty of jokes about Gringos and we take them on the chin with a wink.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Punta Cana AI’s have been a big draw for Canadians since day one. Promoted extensively by Canadian airlines like Air Canada, Sunwing, and Air Transat. The Punta Cana AI’s deliver consistent quality for a relatively inexpensive price.

Costambar is a bit of a hidden secret. It’s has been popular with Canadians from Quebec and other provinces for decades. A mixture of tourists, snowbirds and expats. Not as busy or noisy as Sosua or Cabarete, easy to get around, everything you need on a daily basis is readily available and not too expensive. The main draw has been the number of relatively inexpensive apartments, a lot of them next to or within short walking distance to the beach. I know Canadians who have rented there for years. Canadian developers moved in years ago and built homes and apartments. The Canadians get along well with the locals. Go to the beach any weekend and you see a nice blend of cultures. I’ve spent a fair bit of time there over the years. Frequenting the bars, attending fund raiser events, and visiting friends. It has some rough edges but it has a special feel.

One quick comment on the language in Quebec. Like Haitian French, it is a patois. Derived from French, English, Scottish, and Irish cultures. Very different from Parisian French.

Reactions: JD Jones