Car Hire in Punta Cana

willcoles

Jan 27, 2020
Hi!

I have read lots of topics now on car hire in DR and have a few questions. I'll be travelling to DR on the 1st of Feb from the UK with a friend. Looking to travel around, starting in Bayahibe for some diving, a few days in Santo Domingo and then heading towards the north coast. So we decided renting a car would be our best bet for getting around.

I understand that the key to car hire in DR is the Third Party Liability insurance. Which is a requirement of all companies in DR. A lot of the complaints around car hire in the DR seem to relate to this. But from looking around Alamo list this TPL insurance on their site when booking as a compulsory addition and the price reflects this. Others it is not mentioned at all. Also the cost quoted across various forums varies from $9 per day up to $30.

So I was wondering which companies offer the insurance at $9? Also can anyone recommend which company to use? I am leaning towards Alamo but don't want to be stung and pay again if this is a likely occurrence? The most sensible option seems to be to book with no additional insurance and then take out the extra required insurance on collection. Or if anyone can give any other advice please do let me know!

Many thanks, Will

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
there is a cr rental company here in puerto Plata thst dosn't charge for extrs insurance at all. don't know if they are an accident waiting to happen or not. but try them at 809 449 8474.

willcoles

Jan 27, 2020
Thanks, I don't mind paying for insurance though, from what I've read Casa de Conductor is a very good idea for a gringo!

Selltech

Jun 26, 2015
I know this is late response, but this could help other drivers. I have always rented with National / Alamo Rent a car. All their cars are 100% full coverage. The La Romana branch has helped a lot over the years and we, collectively family / friends, have rented hundreds of car through them. Sometime bringing them back a bit beat up. Just make sure to get a police report (from the area the accident happened in, and within 24 hours after the accident. *From AMET traffic cops*) and drop off the keys. One time we used another place due to high activity at National and a colmado delivery kid hit our car damaging 3 panels, and the place charged us 90$ usd per panel with the insurance / police report etc... I know there are other places out there who are cheaper etc, but I drive with peace of mind that if, and when, my next accident happens I won't be up crap creek. One time I was picking up a client at the SDQ airport and a guy was on a bench crying with his "dominican lady friend". HE was from NYC, rented a car and ended up totaling it. Needless to say he didn't read the fine print and he had to pay something like 6,000$usd. The only real thing he said is that, he had no idea that drivers in DR could be so crazy. Also there is only 2 casa de conductors in the country. Santo Domingo and Santiago, so if something happens you will need to travel to either of those areas to be protected. Just an FYI.

Reactions: JD Jones

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If there are only 2 casa de conductors in the DR I guess that would be me and my wife

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
I get my car thru Alamo and get the TPL when making the reservation. $9/day is cheap for peace of mind when driving around DR. I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That and I speak no Spanish. I hope you visit ScubaFun while in Bayahibe. Good people there!

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Renting a car here is definitely not the place to cut corners. I rarely rent but when I do it's from a US based local owner company like Avis or Alamo.