Citizenship in Dr

Marines23

Nov 7, 2023
South Carolina
Good afternoon everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me here. I plan on moving to the Cabarete area of Dominican Republic in February 2025. I'll be selling my home here in SC and am hoping to enjoy a slower paced life on the beach and enjoying nature. But I was hoping to get some advice on the legal process. Is it better to file or residency and then citizenship, or should I just apply for Dominican citizenship. I'm hoping to have dual citizenship, US/DR. Is this process easy to do on my own or should I contact someone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I moved this to the Legal Forum. Unless you have a Dominican parent, you cannot go directly for citizenship. You’ll have to begin with residency.

Reactions: Marines23

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Good afternoon everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me here. I plan on moving to the Cabarete area of Dominican Republic in February 2025. I'll be selling my home here in SC and am hoping to enjoy a slower paced life on the beach and enjoying nature. But I was hoping to get some advice on the legal process. Is it better to file or residency and then citizenship, or should I just apply for Dominican citizenship. I'm hoping to have dual citizenship, US/DR. Is this process easy to do on my own or should I contact someone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You need residency first and then start the citizenship process. It's a lengthy process.

Marines23

Nov 7, 2023
South Carolina
Much slower than life in SC you will not find. There is just as much "nature" in SC as in the DR. Very interesting expectations Marines23!
I’ve lived in SC for 9 years. And have visited Dominican Republic more than 16 times in that time frame. I’m aware of what I’m looking for and my expectations are founded in my experiences. Thanks for you take. But if no advice in the topic of discussion then I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Have a good one.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I’ve lived in SC for 9 years. And have visited Dominican Republic more than 16 times in that time frame. I’m aware of what I’m looking for and my expectations are founded in my experiences. Thanks for you take. But if no advice in the topic of discussion then I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Have a good one.
He is probably referencing the sometimes "grind" of certain aspects of living here. Spotty power supply in some regions, difficult bureaucracy, noise, the quality of products. Like anywhere in the world, the more access to money you have the better your quality of life will be.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Additional my friend, vacationing in Cab is nice, I enjoy the tranquil beach. However, after some time boredom will set in unless you have a serious hobby. Eating at tourist joints and walking on the beach will make many grow lonesome for conversation other than the best happy hour and chicken wings.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You're very caustic, do I know you?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just remember that if you have any record (don’t think you do, but never know) such as once upon a time doing jail time, you’re essentially disqualified from naturalization even before you start the application process. At a certain point you will be asked to submit a “buena conducta” from the police department in your current SC town and that is simply to see if you have a record of disobedience with the law. Some chronic diseases such as HIV/AIDS will also disqualify you (at a certain point you will have to do a medical exam). You will also have to know certain aspects of Dominican history, a good understanding of Spanish and other things.

The only way you will never be asked for any to receive Dominican citizenship is if at least one of your parents is Dominican which simply means you have Dominican nationality since birth and simply need to get Dominican citizenship. No medical exam, no testing on Dominican history, no Spanish language profeciency, no presenting a “buena conducta,” you don’t even have to pay everything foreigners are charged (and that’s before a lawyer if used) as part of the fee is subsidized by the Dominican government. You don’t even need to translate anything from another language to Spanish as the Dominican government will automatically do it for you (usually the birth certificate which in countries like the USA will obviously not be in Spanish.) With the case of Dominicans born abroad, you simply need an official copy of your birth certificate from the town hall of the town you were born in, a copy (front and back) of a Dominican cédula of one of your parents (even if expired), and the small fee. That’s it. In a few months (much shorter than to foreigners naturalizing) they will take the photo for your cédula and do one right there if at the NYC consulate. At the same time you can also get the Dominican passport.

There is a slight difference between the Dominican citizenship naturalized by a foreigner and Dominican citizenship to Dominicans born abroad. For example, one such difference is that even a naturalized Dominican citizen isn’t allow to be president of the DR, but a Dominican citizen of a Dominican born abroad has no such limitations. Dominican citizens born abroad get the same exact citizenship that Dominicans born in the DR have, no difference at all. Naturalized Dominican citizenships don’t quite get the citizenship as Dominicans do given the small differences.

The other benefit that would apply to foreigners (not necessarily Dominicans born abroad) is that if you have Spanish citizenship, the entire naturalization process is expedited so you get Dominican citizenship faster than say a foreigner with USA or Canadian citizenship. However, the Dominican citizenship that Spaniards get has the same limitations as of other foreigners that naturalize except Dominicans born abroad. For the Dominican government, Dominicans born abroad are basically Dominicans through and through, hence it’s so easy to get Dominican citizenship.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Actually, there is a restriction regarding Dominicans who have another nationality, be it by birth or by naturalization in another country, who want to run for President of the DR:

The last parte of Article 20 of the Constitution states: "Dominicans who adopt another nationality, voluntarily or by place of birth, can run for election as President and Vice President of the Dominican Republic, provided that they relinquish their foreign nationality ten years before the election and reside in the country for ten consecutive years before taking office. However, they can hold other elective offices, ministerial positions or positions in Dominican diplomatic missions abroad and in international organizations, without relinquishing their foreign nationality".

One of Trujillo's grandsons was disqualified from running for President this year due to this provision.

Reactions: colmcb

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Additional my friend, vacationing in Cab is nice, I enjoy the tranquil beach. However, after some time boredom will set in unless you have a serious hobby. Eating at tourist joints and walking on the beach will make many grow lonesome for conversation other than the best happy hour and chicken wings.
Boredom is your greatest enemy in the DR.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Actually, there is a restriction regarding Dominicans who have another nationality, be it by birth or by naturalization in another country, who want to run for President of the DR:

The last parte of Article 20 of the Constitution states: "Dominicans who adopt another nationality, voluntarily or by place of birth, can run for election as President and Vice President of the Dominican Republic, provided that they relinquish their foreign nationality ten years before the election and reside in the country for ten consecutive years before taking office. However, they can hold other elective offices, ministerial positions or positions in Dominican diplomatic missions abroad and in international organizations, without relinquishing their foreign nationality".

One of Trujillo's grandsons was disqualified from running for President this year due to this provision.
I think that is a good rule. No mixed interests.