Colonial City under big renovation wave

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Edificaciones-calle-El-Conde-Diario-Libre-1024x668.png

The promise is that all the closed streets and the constructions that are ongoing in 2024 will be worth it. Expectations are that the works will be completed by 2025. But this 2024, those visiting the Colonial City will come across many closed streets with more to be closed in 2025 as the US$90 million intervention program is underway.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre Diario Libre Diario Libre

20 February 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If they're going to concentrate on fixing up the facade of the old buildings with old-world architecture like you see in the picture, the Colonial City could be a huge tourism magnet.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
If they're going to concentrate on fixing up the facade of the old buildings with old-world architecture like you see in the picture, the Colonial City could be a huge tourism magnet.
It really could but they seem to keep screwing it up.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
There's supposedly laws in place that do not allow certain modifications to the exterior of the buildings.. but it seems that some places have been the rules. A coat of paint can't save some of those places off the conde

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Apart from that from what I have noticed it’s mostly North Americans who are impressed by it. In Europe there is an abundance of historic old buildings. Dominicans themselves don’t seem to appreciate it much. They prefer something new I think and shopping in a Mall. That’s understandable. The Colonial Zone is quaint and can be cozy to hang around in and drink a coffee and eat. It’s a party zone for some younger people.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
was just there a few days ago, Columbus house is getting a redo on the outside..I like the colonal zone, But the rest of Santo Domingo is on big traffic jam and full of garbage..........

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Apart from that from what I have noticed it’s mostly North Americans who are impressed by it. In Europe there is an abundance of historic old buildings. Dominicans themselves don’t seem to appreciate it much. They prefer something new I think and shopping in a Mall. That’s understandable. The Colonial Zone is quaint and can be cozy to hang around in and drink a coffee and eat. It’s a party zone for some younger people.

Um have you been to the Colonial Zone on a Sunday? It is FULL of Dominicans. I meet so many who say they love it. 25% of people who stay in Colonial Zone hotels are Dominicans.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Um have you been to the Colonial Zone on a Sunday? It is FULL of Dominicans. I meet so many who say they love it. 25% of people who stay in Colonial Zone hotels are Dominicans.
I know you are the expert so you are most probably right. It honestly wasn't my impression they did.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
How do mean ? Not comparable? Or not close geographically? Gazcue is actually next to ZC. Gazcue is a mixed bag. Has lost some of its charm I think. Piantini is expensive. There is Naco but I think they built too much. Not much green. Bella Vista I like a lot. Anacaona and Cazigaguez which I forget to spell right is also very expensive but with the Mirador Park it is nice. There are other areas of course. Ok I know. Not as nice as Santiago.
Indeed but they are nowhere near ZC.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How do mean ? Not comparable? Or not close geographically? Gazcue is actually next to ZC. Gazcue is a mixed bag. Has lost some of its charm I think. Piantini is expensive. There is Naco but I think they built too much. Not much green. Bella Vista I like a lot. Anacaona and Cazigaguez which I forget to spell right is also very expensive but with the Mirador Park it is nice. There are other areas of course. Ok I know. Not as nice as Santiago.
Forgot how close Gazcue is to ZC.
It's been a minute since I spent anytime in that area. Oddly enough, I've stayed in Gazcue on more than one occasion several years ago and walked over to ZC for dinner and drinks.

Reactions: aarhus

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I have been to the Colonial Zone three times in the past couple of months,I stayed at the Hodelpa Colonial,packed with Dominicans,almost zero gringos. at night walking around,same thing almost all Dominicans.

Reactions: aarhus

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
I love the ZC. Since my first visit 1993 never got bored to spend time in the ZC. So many memories out there. I proposed my wife marriage there and we celebrate our wedding in a historical building. I remember so many thursday nights at the Museum de Jamon with the autentic Flamencodancers in those times. We spend a lot of saturday nights at bachata rosa on Atarazana and dance the night away. Many Karaoke nights at El Sarten on Hostos.
After 30 years visiting the ZC there are still places to discover. 2 weeks ago we were invited to an art exhibition at Quinta Dominicana. Never been at this place on calle padre billini before, what a romantic patio at night. Behind every door in the ZC you could find another treasure, so go out there and explore...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have been to the Colonial Zone three times in the past couple of months,I stayed at the Hodelpa Colonial,packed with Dominicans,almost zero gringos. at night walking around,same thing almost all Dominicans.
At the colonial zone stayed at Europa hotel....full of people from europe, and the day I was there the zone was full of Germans taking a tour with a tour guide that spoke german.........