Communications from Haiti

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
By this time during a typical day I usually have about 5 -10 WhatsApp messages from friends in Haiti. Today I have exactly 1. Yesterday one guy had trouble getting back to me. It appears it's worse today.

My guess/speculation is that with no gas they can't recharge phones because there is no electricity anywhere. If anyone hears different, please post here.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
By this time during a typical day I usually have about 5 -10 WhatsApp messages from friends in Haiti. Today I have exactly 1. Yesterday one guy had trouble getting back to me. It appears it's worse today.

My guess/speculation is that with no gas they can't recharge phones because there is no electricity anywhere. If anyone hears different, please post here.
now THAT is pretty scary.. I have seen a lot of little solar charging stations for phones in Haiti - one can make a good living from them. I imagine those would make a very good and growing business now. Not that anyone can get into Haiti on business now?!? Does anyone have any reports on the truckers from Jimani? They used to have to stop at the border and send someone into PauP and pay the taxes IN CASH - but I would expect that practice is far to dangerous now.

I left in '16 so don't know if the international banking system has improved? When I was there, it was not possible to send money bank to bank from the DR to Haiti - it had to clear through Miami. (Before one scoffs at this - it takes 2 weeks for a check to clear from Puerto Rico to the "mainland) -- but I don't know if there has been an electronic system set up for paying the taxes directly to the government of Haiti?

Or how the BIG trade from the DR has been affected?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
now THAT is pretty scary.. I have seen a lot of little solar charging stations for phones in Haiti - one can make a good living from them. I imagine those would make a very good and growing business now. Not that anyone can get into Haiti on business now?!? Does anyone have any reports on the truckers from Jimani? They used to have to stop at the border and send someone into PauP and pay the taxes IN CASH - but I would expect that practice is far to dangerous now.

I left in '16 so don't know if the international banking system has improved? When I was there, it was not possible to send money bank to bank from the DR to Haiti - it had to clear through Miami. (Before one scoffs at this - it takes 2 weeks for a check to clear from Puerto Rico to the "mainland) -- but I don't know if there has been an electronic system set up for paying the taxes directly to the government of Haiti?

Or how the BIG trade from the DR has been affected?

I use World Remit and Western Union to send $. For other countries, you can use bank accounts. For Haiti, it's unitransfer or the Western Union station for cash only. No bank to bank allowed.

By the way, I heard from a couple of people after I posted the original. One guy switched from Digicel to Natcom and it worked. I think it's going to be a day to day thing.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I use World Remit and Western Union to send $. For other countries, you can use bank accounts. For Haiti, it's unitransfer or the Western Union station for cash only. No bank to bank allowed.

By the way, I heard from a couple of people after I posted the original. One guy switched from Digicel to Natcom and it worked. I think it's going to be a day to day thing.
Thanks - I was particularly concerned about COMMERCIAL enterprise since that is the one that is going to affect the DR. Haiti is, I believe, the major export destination of the DR, right? And only a small portion of that trade is at the border. There used to be a very big trade in building materials and eggs and packaging that went directly into the Capital.

Of course, there are Haitians who have businesses in Miami - and also control the seaports - (and probably customs) so I am not so sure how import trade with the DR is to Haiti. There is certainly not a lot of export trade. But I assume that it is import to the Dominican Republic.

And I can't imagine that the truckers are carrying cash?

Jeez! If ONLY there were an independent journalist down there who could go to Jimani and report back!!!!

Has there been ANY news in the DR press? Most of those reporters hardly ever leave SD. One of my stories made the front page of Diario Libre. (And the DR has a HUGE press corps!)

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Thanks - I was particularly concerned about COMMERCIAL enterprise since that is the one that is going to affect the DR. Haiti is, I believe, the major export destination of the DR, right? And only a small portion of that trade is at the border. There used to be a very big trade in building materials and eggs and packaging that went directly into the Capital.

Of course, there are Haitians who have businesses in Miami - and also control the seaports - (and probably customs) so I am not so sure how import trade with the DR is to Haiti. There is certainly not a lot of export trade. But I assume that it is import to the Dominican Republic.

And I can't imagine that the truckers are carrying cash?

Jeez! If ONLY there were an independent journalist down there who could go to Jimani and report back!!!!

Has there been ANY news in the DR press? Most of those reporters hardly ever leave SD. One of my stories made the front page of Diario Libre. (And the DR has a HUGE press corps!)

If I was 15 years younger I would love to be an independent journalist here. Now, my back won't allow it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Found this interesting article about the rebuilding in the south after the earthquake -- So there has been a lot learned since 2010!!

Reactions: Grampa