Cruise - MIA - SDQ

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I know in ole days, you could hop on a cruise from Miami and go to Santo Domingo and get off as you please, now it's not anymore. If I ever want to offer cruise service again, I believe it would be success and popular. The route will take approx. 48-52 hours long. The ship would be normal size not like the fancy ones, just mid-size with like at least 200-300 rooms and it has restaurants, cafe, game room, pool, etc. With this, I would take this route over flying because its more fun and enjoyable. Fare? I would run $200 to $350 to be affordable.

The ships shall be like one the Japan has ferries/ships that sail for 2-3 days as I've seen on Youtube.

if I ever make this happen, will anyone try this service? Or should Ferries del Caribe run by adding new route?

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I know in ole days, you could hop on a cruise from Miami and go to Santo Domingo and get off as you please, now it's not anymore. If I ever want to offer cruise service again, I believe it would be success and popular. The route will take approx. 48-52 hours long. The ship would be normal size not like the fancy ones, just mid-size with like at least 200-300 rooms and it has restaurants, cafe, game room, pool, etc. With this, I would take this route over flying because its more fun and enjoyable. Fare? I would run $200 to $350 to be affordable.

The ships shall be like one the Japan has ferries/ships that sail for 2-3 days as I've seen on Youtube.

if I ever make this happen, will anyone try this service? Or should Ferries del Caribe run by adding new route?

Could I originate in SD and return to DR? I'd go for it.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
So, If I take a cruise ship from mia (where I I've) I can't get off in Puerta Plata (where I also live). How do they stop you??

gracias,

singletravel

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This ain't Cape May

Haha, well while we’re wishing, I was envisioning a ferry like the one that goes from Santo Domingo to Puerto Rico. It’s more impressive looking than the Cape May Lewes ferry 😂

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yes I was just talking ideas.... We need something like this. major cruise lines refuse do this again.
Ya gotta wonder why. One would think they'd be doing it if there was any money to be made.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yes! That’s what I want from Miami 😂
Can you imagine what it would be like to drive down to Miami and get on a boat with your vehicle? I would be all for doing something like that.

• Love
Reactions: AlterEgo

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So, If I take a cruise ship from mia (where I I've) I can't get off in Puerta Plata (where I also live). How do they stop you??

gracias,

singletravel
You need to check with the Cruise line you would be traveling on. There are rules about this. I do know that if you get off a cruise ship at a port and do not return it is reported to Customs Border Protection. But this is going into off-topic...

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
You need to check with the Cruise line you would be traveling on. There are rules about this. I do know that if you get off a cruise ship at a port and do not return it is reported to Customs Border Protection. But this is going into off-topic...
That has now been banned, you must return back on cruise to go back.... But my dream was allow one way like my first post, it would be nice!

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Can you imagine what it would be like to drive down to Miami and get on a boat with your vehicle? I would be all for doing something like that.
Exactly, if my new cruise go live, I promise you it will be very popular and I will make killing for sure.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
good point and not off topic at all, since I've never been on a 'cruise' ship, I don't know the customs and immigration procedures for one day stops, but if you show up at the airport to fly back to MIA or NYC or anywhere else and try to go through immigration without an entry stamp in your passport, you're in for a long day.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
good point and not off topic at all, since I've never been on a 'cruise' ship, I don't know the customs and immigration procedures for one day stops, but if you show up at the airport to fly back to MIA or NYC or anywhere else and try to go through immigration without an entry stamp in your passport, you're in for a long day.
Yes, the reason I mentioned it is because I know someone who did this, got off in Puerto Plata. They had issues with the Cruise ship line, immigration, etc... It was a mess. And to top it all off they are supposedly banned from that Cruise ship line. But it was their own doing, they did not research the process before doing it. I guess in the eyes of the Cruise ship line there is a difference between missing the ship departure time while in port as opposed to purposely leaving the ship at a port.