Customer service language challenges- Spanish

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Not translating, but interpreting...

As a medical interpreter, I've had to provide services for folks hailing from every country in Latin America, both over the phone and in-person, and I don't think it's that complicated.
Usually, the issues one may encounter regarding communication are mostly related to different ways people refer to procedures, body parts, and/or what ails them.

Case in point:

While folks in most countries refer to Pap smear as Papanicolau, Venezuelans call it citología vaginal.
Mexicans, as well as some Central Americans, may call the tonsils "anginas," but the proper term is amígdalas.
A Mexican may correctly say eco, short for ecografía, as in sonogram or ultrasound, but a provider may think he/she is referring to an echocardiogram.

Most providers familiar with Spanish pay close attention, and may even assume the interpreter errs during an encounter: Once, a Mexican mother kept using the word bazo, as in spleen, when questioned about her son's past medical issues, but when queried further, she really meant vaso sannguíneo (blood vessel).

I've interpreted for folks who don't know what heces, materia fecal, or excremento means. When asked if they have bloody stools, I've had to rely on the old standards: caca, pupú, or popó (I've reserved mierda to express my surprise after the encounter is over).

So, once you learn these differences, it's no biggie

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
@Lucifer

I agree with your post and vocabulary differences are expected from to country and region to region but I think what these people in the video clips were trying to point out is the striking difference in the accent in the three Caribbean islands vs other places in the Spanish-speaking world. Look at the flags in the videos.

I know many speakers from Mexico, El Salvador, Peru, etc who say they have a hard time understanding Caribbean Spanish- Cuba, DR and PR. Honestly, I don’t understand how they don’t understand. Yes, the accents are strong and different but not understanding anything is strange to me even if one comes from another Spanish-speaking country.

Reactions: Lucifer

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I've interpreted for folks who don't know what heces, materia fecal, or excremento means. When asked if they have bloody stools, I've had to rely on the old standards: caca, pupú, or popó (I've reserved mierda to express my surprise after the encounter is over).
Never good news with some sangre oculta in your poo

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
@Lucifer

I agree with your post and vocabulary differences are expected from to country and region to region but I think what these people in the video clips were trying to point out is the striking difference in the accent in the three Caribbean islands vs other places in the Spanish-speaking world. Look at the flags in the videos.

I know many speakers from Mexico, El Salvador, Peru, etc who say they have a hard time understanding Caribbean Spanish- Cuba, DR and PR. Honestly, I don’t understand how they don’t understand. Yes, the accents are strong and different but not understanding anything is strange to me even if one comes from another Spanish-speaking country.
Exactly!
I find it strange, too.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Just thinking out loud, but wouldn't it be analagous to an American trying to understand a Scotsman or woman? Those brogues can be difficult.

Actually, I think in English it’s worse although I understand your comparison.

Spanish is considered to be a unified language thanks to the RAE. There are so many rules of standardization which has helped to keep the language quite understandable across the broad spectrum. Of course, there are variations like the phonetic patterns of Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.

However, based on two speakers speaking in a mutually understandable way in Spanish it is not that bad.

BTW- I can’t understand a Scottish person. It’s hard to believe it’s English.