Former Dodgers Outfielder Sentenced to More Than 6 Years in Prison

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Reactions: CristoRey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I thought this already happened, him being sentenced. Wasn't he under house arrest?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I thought this already happened, him being sentenced. Wasn't he under house arrest?
I believe house arrest was just detention before the sentence. The article says he was sentenced yesterday.............

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I will never understand this. Guy had the world on a platter and effs it up like that. He didn't need the money!
Because he saw every other politician around him stealing so he thought "why not?". Also you'd assume with the money he's made in the MLB and the pension he'd have enough to live like a king, but the guy probably has 15 novias chapiadoras on the side, 15 primos lambones, a few kids, few exotic cars that need to be changed with every new model, house staff, maybe he bets on gallos...

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
His son does or did play for the Kansas City Royals. You need to realize that a lot of former MLB players did not leave the game with a lot of money. Many were not smart with their money and did not plan well for life after baseball. Also, many trusted the wrong people with their investments, etc...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Unless I read all of this wrong, the six-year sentence was the six years he was under house arrest, meaning his house arrest is finished and he's free.(after he pays his fine)
"Under the agreement, Mondesi completes the sentence imposed by the judges against him after serving six years of house arrest."

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Unless I read all of this wrong, the six-year sentence was the six years he was under house arrest, meaning his house arrest is finished and he's free.(after he pays his fine)
"Under the agreement, Mondesi completes the sentence imposed by the judges against him after serving six years of house arrest."
That is what I thought, it did not sound like he was going to prison now. I always thought he served his sentence under house arrest.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Not only that, but his house arrest was anything but. I've seen him around town dozens of times since I moved here 6 and a half years ago.

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
This seems to clarify it better. Interesting comment about Mondesi and Jose Rijo.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Food for thought:
"The two former players who earned more than $100 million between them lived in neighboring mansions, surrounded by 8-foot walls and protected by armed guards. Three years earlier, both were fined for rigging illegal connections to their homes that allowed them to use electricity without paying for it."

I'll just leave this here. Somewhere in this picture is his house. See if you can pick it out:

Mondesi.jpg

Last edited:

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Food for thought:
"The two former players who earned more than $100 million between them lived in neighboring mansions, surrounded by 8-foot walls and protected by armed guards. Three years earlier, both were fined for rigging illegal connections to their homes that allowed them to use electricity without paying for it."
Interesting comment in the article. Mondesi and Rijo ran against each other for political office with Mondesi winning. Years ago, we were having dinner at El Meson de la Cava when Rijo and his wife came in for dinner with their entourage. At the time he was married to Juan Marichal's daughter.

Reactions: JD Jones

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I remember Rijo and his baseball academy were involved with the signing of a kid who had a different name and birthdate. He was something like 4 years older than they claimed. It was the reason he stepped down from a position he had with the Washington Nationals. Kind of went downhill for him after that.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I also found it humorous that Raul had to pay a 1.3 million fine for embezzling 6 million pesos.