Hard Rock Santo Domingo

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Why would you say that. I admit I'm no expert on Piantini but I've found the place extremely walkable on the limited occasions I've been there.
?? I walk the city 5 days a week. I love it.! the city blocks in Piantini are small with many blind corners. That and there are not many pedestrians. Other parts of the city like Belle Vista and the Sarasota Ave corridor all the way to the Presidents house have little parks that offer a wide sidewalk and stop lights. Still, one must be super cautious. My main concern is not robbery or covid, it's getting hit by a moto driving between stopped traffic,

Jan 9, 2004
IMO many of the restaurants are more of a "to be seen" kind of thing rather than being known for good food. There are some good restaurants in Santo Domingo, however, most of the clientele would be considered "low key money types" (meaning they have money but are not there to be "seen"). So, these places you would not see plastered all over social media. Years ago, we used to like to go to El meson de la cava. Good food at the time, ambiance was nice, etc... Now you go and everyone is just taking photos for Instagram, that type of crowd. Just a different vibe now and the food is so-so. Of course, my favorite was always Vesuvio's on the Malecon. Miss that place.
Which so accurately describes one of my favorites......Vizcaya......and its still going after 60 years.

And I too miss Vesuvio.........it was, like Vizcaya, an absolute must while in SD.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: keepcoming

Big

Apr 24, 2019
IMO many of the restaurants are more of a "to be seen" kind of thing rather than being known for good food. There are some good restaurants in Santo Domingo, however, most of the clientele would be considered "low key money types" (meaning they have money but are not there to be "seen"). So, these places you would not see plastered all over social media. Years ago, we used to like to go to El meson de la cava. Good food at the time, ambiance was nice, etc... Now you go and everyone is just taking photos for Instagram, that type of crowd. Just a different vibe now and the food is so-so. Of course, my favorite was always Vesuvio's on the Malecon. Miss that place.
Everyone has their "go to" spots for various culinary favorites. An evening with my girlfriend, for me, must have ambiance, good food and service. Girls like to dress up and look at the competition if you will. If I am going out with the fellows, I like Boga Boga. Great wine list and seafood. That place is as you put it "low key money". I also frequent Meson Cienfuegos, low key and super fab.

Reactions: keepcoming

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Everyone has their "go to" spots for various culinary favorites. An evening with my girlfriend, for me, must have ambiance, good food and service. Girls like to dress up and look at the competition if you will. If I am going out with the fellows, I like Boga Boga. Great wine list and seafood. That place is as you put it "low key money". I also frequent Meson Cienfuegos, low key and super fab.

Thanks for these recommendations. I have been to Sully on Charles Sumner a few times recently, it's sooooo cheap (comparatively) and if you like fish or seafood it's a good option. Nothing at all to look at from outside, it's directly opposite Pricesmart.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for these recommendations. I have been to Sully on Charles Sumner a few times recently, it's sooooo cheap (comparatively) and if you like fish or seafood it's a good option. Nothing at all to look at from outside, it's directly opposite Pricesmart.
Sully gets my vote as well. Great food, crappy parking

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
You go back quite a few years... late 80's, early 90's....? The ruin is still there, I always take a look when I pass by

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You go back quite a few years... late 80's, early 90's....? The ruin is still there, I always take a look when I pass by
I remember mid-eighties when they used to bring busloads of tourists there. No idea from where.

Vesuvio went under when the old man died. The kids weren't interested in keeping it going.

I ran into one of them a few years back in Agora Mall. She had a popcorn stand there. Anybody know if she's still there?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I remember mid-eighties when they used to bring busloads of tourists there. No idea from where.

Vesuvio went under when the old man died. The kids weren't interested in keeping it going.

I ran into one of them a few years back in Agora Mall. She had a popcorn stand there. Anybody know if she's still there?
The old man was the best. He heard me asking for Tanqueray 10 one time and asked if I liked it for Martinis. I said yes and he told me next week we will have it. And he did all the time after. A great guy that was always around with a smile. Miss him.........

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe

Could be an idea for Hrnos Villar, to rebuild the place? They also continue to expand....