Interior & Police disallows Haitian protest march in DR

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Until they imprison the border guards for accepting bribes, nothing is going to happen. Roundup, deport, re-enter, pay bribes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My soldier friend said that while they used to accept bribes to let people off the trucks, they were all told that if any soldiers were found accepting bribes, they would be put in prison themselves. He was really unhappy about it as he said he was paying off his car loan with the money they were screwing out of Haitians, but now he has had to start doing Uber.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My soldier friend said that while they used to accept bribes to let people off the trucks, they were all told that if any soldiers were found accepting bribes, they would be put in prison themselves. He was really unhappy about it as he said he was paying off his car loan with the money they were screwing out of Haitians, but now he has had to start doing Uber.
I was a witness to it happening in Dajabon about 6 months ago.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If the Haitians are so upset about what's happening in Haiti then it's time to get there sorry as**s back there to protest and stand up against corruption. Doing it anywhere else is useless.
The world is sick of protests. Go to the source of the problem. Don't interrupt my life as I could care less

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If the Haitians are so upset about what's happening in Haiti then it's time to get there sorry as**s back there to protest and stand up against corruption. Doing it anywhere else is useless.
The world is sick of protests. Go to the source of the problem. Don't interrupt my life as I could care less

Nice. Have you thought about a job in United Nations?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
One bad apple dose not spoil the bunch.
Bad apple, my backside. I'm just sick of another group of people crying in thier self pity. Want a change, then do something about. Quit whining with your hand out. There are a hell of a lot more people that want change for the good in Haiti than there are gang members and corrupt politicians.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am born and bread 🍁.
Mostly in Alberta but spend some time in Uranium City, Saskatchewan.
That helps explain a bit of the redness on my neck. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Born in Kamloops, spend most of my life on Vancouver Island, but spent 8 years in Alberta, and 12 in Ontario. Here since 2012.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Born in Kamloops, spend most of my life on Vancouver Island, but spent 8 years in Alberta, and 12 in Ontario. Here since 2012.
We came to the DR in 2007 and bought property.
2008 was our first 6 months here and have done the 6 months DR, 6 months elsewhere since then.
Our longest continuous stretch was 8 months in the DR.
We really do love the place but just get frustrated with the people that come here and want to change everything.
If you don't like the way it is here please leave. I'm sure countries like Russia, Iran, Iraq and all the other warm and welcoming countries will love your ideas and will gladly change their way of life for you.

Reactions: JD Jones

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Foreigners aren't allowed to protest in the DR, so that means even expats can't protest (not that I see expats protesting anything.) With the Haitians, they are foreigners so this applies to them. Considering how unstable things are in Haiti, this march could had been a precedent of future protests in the DR regarding Haiti. The DR already has enough protests to get additional ones geared towards other countries. Without this limitation, there would be additional protests in Dominican streets in this case for Haiti every few months.
Foreigners are not permitted to organize a protest. They can join in one but just can't organize. I was.involved in some neighborhood protests in the Colonial Zone in the past about stinky water and the electricity issue when they were doing the renovation project.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Foreigners are not permitted to organize a protest. They can join in one but just can't organize. I was.involved in some neighborhood protests in the Colonial Zone in the past about stinky water and the electricity issue when they were doing the renovation project.
Are you sure you just didn't get away with it, but were legally not allowed to be in the group protesting?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Are you sure you just didn't get away with it, but were legally not allowed to be in the group protesting?
It wasn't anything political. I'd never be involved with that or any protests where people burn tires and such. But, according to my then neighbors the neighborhood lawyer, and the newspaper people that were there I was permitted to join in. Me and my dogs, of course.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I've said this before but most of the time in the construction industry when the job is coming to an end and it's almost pay time it's the owners that call immigration so they don't have to pay . go ahead chastise me and tell me I'm wrong again

Yet it's the Haitian workforce being the backbone of this country. And the president as well all the rich dominican business know it, because they have an incentive to hire cheap/free labor to build things up and grow their businesses.

I will always remember when my Dominican Airbnb host said that this country would be nothing (economically) without the cheap/free Haitian workforce.
President will say one thing to Dominican voters ("I'll deport the Haitians and build a wall against them") to keep getting elected, while thinking the exact opposite -- and working in the background to maintain a continuous supply of cheap Haitian labor all year-round in DR.

Not to mention the border patrol officers who keep accepting bribes from illegal Haitian migrants.

In conclusion, the "Haitian problem" is actually in the interests of the Dominican elites and every other Dominican who benefits from illegal Haitians under the table (border officers, human traffickers arranging for transportation, business owners, etc).
Corruption is ingrained in the DR -- and it is complicit to the Haitian immigration problem.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Yet it's the Haitian workforce being the backbone of this country. And the president as well all the rich dominican business know it, because they have an incentive to hire cheap/free labor to build things up and grow their businesses.

I will always remember when my Dominican Airbnb host said that this country would be nothing (economically) without the cheap/free Haitian workforce.
President will say one thing to Dominican voters ("I'll deport the Haitians and build a wall against them") to keep getting elected, while thinking the exact opposite -- and working in the background to maintain a continuous supply of cheap Haitian labor all year-round in DR.

Not to mention the border patrol officers who keep accepting bribes from illegal Haitian migrants.

In conclusion, the "Haitian problem" is actually in the interests of the Dominican elites and every other Dominican who benefits from illegal Haitians under the table (border officers, human traffickers arranging for transportation, business owners, etc).
Corruption is ingrained in the DR -- and it is complicit to the Haitian immigration problem.
yes it's tough to break that mentality but it is the truth