Is it cold in Constanza?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Absolutely true. I have a friend who grows organic cacao and exports to Switzerland. He acts strictly by the rules, because he knows the minute the inspection finds something it will be game over.
There are a number of places that sell organic coffee and bananas to Germany, and Germany has very Strick protocols before they give the organic designation.

Reactions: reilleyp

TravelOverSky

Dec 30, 2023
Domican Republic
Few days ago I camped at Valle Nuevo and the temperature dropped to 0.5C (32.9F) - It was really cold! In Constanza in general is colder, I was living there one month and tempreatur in night was wonderful, even in day is few C lower than in others part in DR.

I will make a video about it, because very few people (at least foreigners) know that such temperatures can be here.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I like the variety of the DR geography. Coastal zones, plains areas, and hill and mountains. With it comes a variety of weather. It can be sweltering at the beach and freezing on top of Pico Duarte at the same time. No surprise Constanza has periods of low temperatures.

My friend in Luperon always liked the cooler temperatures at night in the Constanza area. The temperature in Luperon can be stifling when the wind drops off. He has a/c in his bedroom but he would prefer putting an extra blanket on the bed instead of cranking up the a/c.

I’m not totally sold on the idea of the mountains on the North Coast deflecting hurricanes. Maybe, maybe not. Hurricanes have a mind of their own and are getting more powerful. The new ad for condo sales at Green One in Playa Dorada actually says that it’s a safe place to live. Hurricanes miss the area because of the mountains. They are probably telling customers the water and power supply is dependable too.

Reactions: reilleyp

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I only trust what I grow myself or get from our gardener, because I know he gets his stuff from his mother, and she only uses Chicken and cow manure for fertilizer and doesn't use any insecticides. She uses vinegar and soap, lemon juice and garlic, or picks the bugs off by hand.
Doesn't the lemon juice burn the leaves of some plants?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I like the variety of the DR geography. Coastal zones, plains areas, and hill and mountains. With it comes a variety of weather. It can be sweltering at the beach and freezing on top of Pico Duarte at the same time. No surprise Constanza has periods of low temperatures.

My friend in Luperon always liked the cooler temperatures at night in the Constanza area. The temperature in Luperon can be stifling when the wind drops off. He has a/c in his bedroom but he would prefer putting an extra blanket on the bed instead of cranking up the a/c.

I’m not totally sold on the idea of the mountains on the North Coast deflecting hurricanes. Maybe, maybe not. Hurricanes have a mind of their own and are getting more powerful. The new ad for condo sales at Green One in Playa Dorada actually says that it’s a safe place to live. Hurricanes miss the area because of the mountains. They are probably telling customers the water and power supply is dependable too.
Are they really getting more powerful or plentiful. I doubt either.
Sure all the same government agencies repeat the Global Warming hurricane theory but the data does not bear it out.
Warm waters increase wind shear which is an anti-hurricane formation factor.
But if you're old enough to remember Hurricane Camille in 1969 that was long before anyone was pushing Global Warming causes hurricanes.
1950 was the year of most Hurricanes and 1891 and 2005 stand out in our hemisphere. (hurricanes, not just named tropical storms which often get dissipated by wind shear).

The good news for many on this front is December had the highest monthly increase in Artic Ice in 45 years and January is starting out even colder.

But if you're planning a skiing trip to Scandinavia it was -43 Celsius in Northern Sweden the other day. Coldest recorded temperatures across that region in over 25 years.

I've never lived in such bitter cold and can't even imagine how it's done. I think that's why so many snowbirds gladly stay much longer than 30 days.

The people in Constanza by comparison have it mild.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are they really getting more powerful or plentiful. I doubt either.
Sure all the same government agencies repeat the Global Warming hurricane theory but the data does not bear it out.
Warm waters increase wind shear which is an anti-hurricane formation factor.
But if you're old enough to remember Hurricane Camille in 1969 that was long before anyone was pushing Global Warming causes hurricanes.
1950 was the year of most Hurricanes and 1891 and 2005 stand out in our hemisphere. (hurricanes, not just named tropical storms which often get dissipated by wind shear).

The good news for many on this front is December had the highest monthly increase in Artic Ice in 45 years and January is starting out even colder.

But if you're planning a skiing trip to Scandinavia it was -43 Celsius in Northern Sweden the other day. Coldest recorded temperatures across that region in over 25 years.

I've never lived in such bitter cold and can't even imagine how it's done. I think that's why so many snowbirds gladly stay much longer than 30 days.

The people in Constanza by comparison have it mild.
More people live where hurricanes and floods affect them. The Data bears out what you say. My son in Calgary had two or three in a row below -35. When I lived in Col Lake Alberta in the early 1990's we had 32 days in a row below -30. The coldest temperature I have been exposed to here was 6 degrees Celsius in Pasa Bajito (halfway between Jarabacoa and Constanza) . We have had as low as 11 here in Jarabacoa. Most mornings at this time of year are between 15-18.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
More people live where hurricanes and floods affect them. The Data bears out what you say. My son in Calgary had two or three in a row below -35. When I lived in Col Lake Alberta in the early 1990's we had 32 days in a row below -30. The coldest temperature I have been exposed to here was 6 degrees Celsius in Pasa Bajito (halfway between Jarabacoa and Constanza) . We have had as low as 11 here in Jarabacoa. Most mornings at this time of year are between 15-18.
That would not be pleasant Bob. No wonder you left.
I recall 19 straight days of hard rain in northern California, about 52 years ago. (that was before Al Gore invented the global warming /carbon credit scam)
Everything was flooded. We put on wetsuits and went tubing in the swollen creeks

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Btw, it appears Constanza was colder a few centuries ago. This is in Moreau de Saint Mery "Description of the Spanish Part of Santo Domingo", Vol 1 published in the 1790's (the English version was published in 1798.) Morau was a Frenchman born in Martinique and lived for many years in Cape Français (Cape Haitian) when it was Saint-Domingue.

JaTAIZF.jpg

JaTAzj1.jpg

JaTAuCg.jpg

Back then basically there was nothing in Constanza, not even the town, much covered in forest especially the now cleared areas in several of the mountains. The white frost now happens only in the winter months.

Nowadays it's cold mainly at night during the winter season with January and/or beginning of February being the coldest when there are days you need a jacket even during the day. How things have changed, probably due to the warming since colonial times when the book was published. That also means the climate in much of the DR had to be more pleasant than it's today, especially in summer when it can feel like the surface of the sun (not in Constanza depite technically you're a tad bit closed to the sun than in Santo Domingo.