Is This Guide Still Valid? (La Romana Bayahibe DR1 Guide)

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
La Romana Bayahibe DR1 Guide
I am planning a trip to this part of the island
1) is it more beneficial to stay in La romana ( Buena Vista Norte area ) or is it worth finding a spot in Bayahibe
2) Not staying at a resort or hotel , looking at airBNB or vrnb.
3) Is Bayahibe more of a day time venture and La romana a better option for night or vice/versa?
4) trade of is in La Romana I see better options locations , 3 houses bedroom where Bayahibe mainly has condos .
5) Google indicates the drive to the Bayahibe beach to be about 30 mins.

any feed back , restaurant suggestions appreciated

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
La Romana Bayahibe DR1 Guide
I am planning a trip to this part of the island
1) is it more beneficial to stay in La romana ( Buena Vista Norte area ) or is it worth finding a spot in Bayahibe
2) Not staying at a resort or hotel , looking at airBNB or vrnb.
3) Is Bayahibe more of a day time venture and La romana a better option for night or vice/versa?
4) trade of is in La Romana I see better options locations , 3 houses bedroom where Bayahibe mainly has condos .
5) Google indicates the drive to the Bayahibe beach to be about 30 mins.

any feed back , restaurant suggestions appreciated
You need could provide more detail about what you want. 1) Beneficial? What does that mean? Restaurants. Beaches. Cost? Like traffic jams - La Romana is your place. 2) I guess Airbnb costs less but you need to consider the labor of supporting your habits while there, like eating. You have a car? No stores in Buena Vista Norte. You have to drive to Jumbo. Or Plaza Lama. 3) What do you want to do in the day. Lots of boat excursions out of Bayahibe. Virtually none out of La Romana. All the tours to Saona for example leave out of Bayahibe. What do you want to do at night. Bayahibe is not exactly a cosmopolitan place. Nor is La Romana. Lots of thugs at night. 4) I don't know what 3 houses bedroom means. Typo. 5) Yes 30 minutes from La Romana to Bayahibe in a car.

And how long do you intend to stay.

I have not read that guide lately. And, can't find it. Nothing much has changed with either place though. A couple new hotels near Dominicus. That's about it. Lots of Italians and Italian food. If you want to visit entertainment and culinary mediocrity these are your places. Read my posts about robberies. You seem like a wise man. Cuidate.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
You need could provide more detail about what you want. 1) Beneficial? What does that mean? Restaurants. Beaches. Cost? Like traffic jams - La Romana is your place. 2) I guess Airbnb costs less but you need to consider the labor of supporting your habits while there, like eating. You have a car? No stores in Buena Vista Norte. You have to drive to Jumbo. Or Plaza Lama. 3) What do you want to do in the day. Lots of boat excursions out of Bayahibe. Virtually none out of La Romana. All the tours to Saona for example leave out of Bayahibe. What do you want to do at night. Bayahibe is not exactly a cosmopolitan place. Nor is La Romana. Lots of thugs at night. 4) I don't know what 3 houses bedroom means. Typo. 5) Yes 30 minutes from La Romana to Bayahibe in a car.

And how long do you intend to stay.

I have not read that guide lately. And, can't find it. Nothing much has changed with either place though. A couple new hotels near Dominicus. That's about it. Lots of Italians and Italian food. If you want to visit entertainment and culinary mediocrity these are your places. Read my posts about robberies. You seem like a wise man. Cuidate.
To solve this , I plan on doing day time activities mainly. An excursion from Bayahibe .
Are you aware or know if ALTOS DE CHAVÓN , sells day pass access? IF so i can find out if i can make dinner reservations there. Or do they allow guest not staying there to make dinner reservations at the restaurants on site?
I don't walk around with gold chains or wads of cash on me. I will be driving , so great to know they have a jumbo. Prefer to make my own breakfast.
To sum it up , as a person making their first visit to that area what tourist spots to you suggest.
Read your post about robberies and noted. I make it a point to be aware of my surroundings, "play" the tourist taking pictures in various directions , truly capturing those around me. I even do selfie pics just to see who may be watching me from behind. yeah paranoid but humble.
One rule : My life and my passport is all i would need.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The first time we went to Altos de Chavon we just went to the Casa de Campo gate. They sold us passes. It was about $30 each. But that was about six years ago. We go visit friends at Casa de Campo sometimes, they just leave our names at the gate and we go in. Our kids have gone on field trips there for school. So, it works differently depending on what you want to do. Expensive to stay there.

The entrance to Casa de Campo is not far from the entrance/exit to Buena Vista Norte neighborhood. So, will be very convenient for you. And, no traffic jams in that area. And, you probably looked at map to see the autopista where you will go to Bayahibe is on that side of La Romana too. Good choice of where to stay for all of this. Also, near cruise ship port so there is Cestur in the area to keep tourists safe.

Here are some links where you can get current information. I would just call one of the numbers and start asking.