Knife throwing competitions in the DR

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Right after the cock fights, do they hold knife throwing competitions in the DR? Every time I come here, half my knives have the handle broken off the blade. In my whole life, I have never broken a handle off a blade in the US. What the heck are they doing to my knives here?????

• Haha
Reactions: Big and Gadfly

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Many things get broken here inadvertently you name it they’ll break it. There’s that joke about an anvil I can’t remember but it gets broken

Reactions: reilleyp

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Right after the cock fights, do they hold knife throwing competitions in the DR? Every time I come here, half my knives have the handle broken off the blade. In my whole life, I have never broken a handle off a blade in the US. What the heck are they doing to my knives here?????
I love the cock fights! I am there twice a month, at least! As far as knife throwing... how gauche.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You would not believe what I've seen them using knives for here. I've seen them used as screw drivers, crowbars, chisels, hammers.

Reactions: XQT and reilleyp

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I do not know about handles but Dominicans would use quality knives to open cans, usually breaks knives tips. Most do not know about can openers!

Reactions: reilleyp and scotia

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If they are the cheap Chinese knives they sell in the supermarkets and Chinese crap stores - then yeah the handles are loose from day one. Want good knives ?
You will not find a good set in DR in the stores. I ordered off eBay - not a loose handle yet

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
They are used as screw drivers and can openers.
The good knifes are stolen by relatives. ;)

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
When travelling anywhere and staying at apartments with "fully stocked" kitchens, we bring our own chef's and paring knives. I also pack a sharpening stone to keep ours honed.
Any that are provided are so dull that they are useless, won't even break the skin on a tomato.

Jun 21, 2021
Cabarete
hide your 'good' knives (and frypans), and buy a few knife sets from IKEA for the kitchen. everyone of my half dozen kitchen knives from ceramic paring to full size chef have the tip broken off. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? how do 'they' do that?

Reactions: JD Jones

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
hide your 'good' knives (and frypans), and buy a few knife sets from IKEA for the kitchen. everyone of my half dozen kitchen knives from ceramic paring to full size chef have the tip broken off. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? how do 'they' do that?
They also like to use them as a screwdriver if one isn't handy.