Motorcyclists violating traffic laws are a national epidemic; yet, politicians are on their side

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Motoristas-en-RD-Hoy-1-1024x590.png

Call motorcyclists the plague or just people commuting and earning a living. Whatever, the unchecked proliferation of motorcyclists on the road violating traffic laws has reached epidemic proportions.

The motorists again made frontpage headlines and became the trending topic when an answer by President Luis Abinader to the question as to when the government would begin to regulate motorcyclists led to fake news being disseminated in these days of the final stretch of the presidential elections. Abinader spoke of his government issuing new license plates (placas) to the motorcyclists because the previous ones were not readable. But this was disseminated in the fake news that said the President had called the motorcyclists “the plague” (plaga). The motorists took offense; politicians took their side.

In an editorial in Diario Libre, managing editor Benjamin Morales makes the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Motos are a part of the fabric of the DR.
The way Dominicans drive them is part of the fabric of the DR.
It will not change in our lifetime so get used to it.

I'm more concerned about the tax proposals they keep putting
off talking about. I expect to hear a lot more about these proposals
once Luis secures his second term in office.

Reactions: Big

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Motos are a part of the fabric of the DR.
The way Dominicans drive them is part of the fabric of the DR.
It will not change in our lifetime so get used to it.
Absolutely correct. POP was recently criticized for traffic due to the motorcycles. I complain about those, my wife does as well. Truth is, as far as I can see though, that those motores are what drive or make a city a city like that function for a decent part.

Reactions: CristoRey

Big

Apr 24, 2019
To a degree I give the motos a pass. Many are trying to hammer out a living, making deliveries and getting to service jobs. Many support an entire family hustling deliveries. I wish they would focus on mufflers and the sidewalk drivers. Thailand has much more motos however they have mufflers for the most part.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This suggestion will not cure the moto plague. However, if and when a moto operator is without documents, insurance, or helmet is involved in an accident, whether his fault or not, he should not be able to collect compensation from the other motorist(s) pockets, other motorist insurance, and/or government. Then... they are on their own to pay their way out of a mess, no government assistance. This may act as a device to get some of them, but not all, to obey the laws.

Regards,

PJT

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Each time they honk a small electric shock should be administered. For every beep-beep. This will quiet the dumb males drivers.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
However, if and when a moto operator is without documents, insurance, or helmet is involved in an accident, whether his fault or not, he should not be able to collect compensation from the other motorist(s) pockets, other motorist insurance, and/or government.
Learned behavior.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
DIGESETT will start patrolling at night starting next week.

Santo Domingo. – The General Directorate of Traffic and Land Transportation Safety (DIGESETT), announced that starting next Monday, June 3, it will intensify night operations on the country's main roads, with the aim of controlling speed and drivers who circulate without lights. They will be inspected in accordance with the provisions of Law 63-17, on Mobility, Land Transportation, Transit and Road Safety of the Dominican Republic.

The entity has expressed its concern about the high rate of traffic accidents that occur at night, for this reason the presence of agents will be intensified at the main intersections during nighttime hours.

During the operation, drivers who travel with vehicles without front or rear lights will be inspected, among other offenses committed by them.

The director of the DIGESETT, General Francisco Osoria De La Cruz, PN, recommends that drivers check the lights of their vehicles before going out on the streets, not to exceed the speed limits, since, if they travel violating the Traffic Law, They will be inspected by one of our agents.

With the implementation of these night operations, DIGESETT seeks to guarantee safety on the city streets at night and reduce the number of traffic accidents.

• Haha
Reactions: Sylindrcostambar

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Traffic cops have been active at night on Guzman between Del Sol and the bridge for several years now
handing out tickets and confiscating vehicles.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Only hope that's this "initiative" isn't only going to happen in SD or STI but also here around Sosúa. Had an accident just 3 days with a Moto without lights, speeding, no helmet (who bothers to have a helmet on) and also been drinking. So frustrating to have to deal with all the sh*t afterwards...

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
They do nothing but screw up traffic, they are nothing but a scourge. As far as taking care of their families i only see them in pool rooms after work.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
4400 tickets in 3 nights..

Surprise!!
The Listin article says the WHO reported traffic deaths at 34.6 per 100,000, year not stated. A Google search of the WHO website report of 2019 stating the death rate at 64.8 per 100,000, https://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A997 This poster would lean heavily on the 2019 numbers. If the 34.6 is recent, it would speak about 50% reduction of traffic deaths from 2019. If that is true, the government would now be screaming hallelujah to the skies and media broadcasting, "see what good we have accomplished".

File 34.6 / 100,000 as questionable?

Regards,

PJT