Nacional at Sarasota (SD)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Today opened the new Supermercados Nacional in Mirador Sur neighborhood, where La Cadena used to be.

IMG_2114.jpeg

CCN has been doung this since the Covid epidemic and now appears to be permanent. Contrary to traditional Dominican inaugurations of a new business, instead of doing an inauguration ceremony CCN gives the funds that would go to the party to two organizations.

Sordos Santa Rosa Servicios Integrales: Devoted to Dominicans that are deaf.​
Guardería Infantil Padre José Antonio Esquivel: A daycare center.​

IMG_2016.jpeg

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's a pretty small Nacional. I wonder how small they'll go in the future to spread their coverage?

That was such a nice quiet neighborhood years ago.

Reactions: rey

rey

Jan 2, 2007
That's a pretty small Nacional. I wonder how small they'll go in the future to spread their coverage?

That was such a nice quiet neighborhood years ago.
Mr JD JONES can you elaborate on why is NO longer such a good neighborhood as years ago ? …. I am interested cause I see a lot “ REAL ESTATE AGENCY” / inmobiliaria using the the selling pitch about “the property its right next Sarasota , it’s in the Sarasota , 1 minute away from la Sarasota , of course it’s safe it’s on la Sarasota”

Thanks

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Mr JD JONES can you elaborate on why is NO longer such a good neighborhood as years ago ? …. I am interested cause I see a lot “ REAL ESTATE AGENCY” / inmobiliaria using the the selling pitch about “the property its right next Sarasota , it’s in the Sarasota , 1 minute away from la Sarasota , of course it’s safe it’s on la Sarasota”

Thanks
Rey, I put this post through Google translate and I still don't fully understand. Can you please elaborate.

• Love
Reactions: MariaRubia

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Thanks
I said nothing about not being good, I said it was quiet. Now there is much more traffic but it's still a nice area.

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo

Thanks

It's a "nice area" by default. Between la Nuñez and Lincoln, a couple streets up from the Mirador Sur, basically smack dab in the middle of the busiest and wealthiest area of the country. I forget the name for it but there are 2 areas of Santo Domingo that have like 60-70% of the entire GDP of the Island and they are more or less located close to this area - Cacicazgos, Bella Vista, Naco, Piantini (a bit further north). I thought it was called the "Golden Triangle" but when I search for that I just get info on narco geo-zones in Western Mexico.

It's also the area on the island with the absolute worst traffic. SDE is also pretty bad but for the actual amount of distance you can drive in the amount of time, it's the worst, literally.

That is likely what JD is referring to.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Haven't you guys noticed that you're responding to a banned member? :unsure:

Everybody except Rey know that the area the Nacional Sarasota is no Capotillo.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Haven't you guys noticed that you're responding to a banned member? :unsure:

Everybody except Rey know that the area the Nacional Sarasota is no Capotillo.

Only Mods and Admin see who is banned.

rey

Joined Jan 2, 2007

Last seen Today at 8:41 AM

Am I missing something?

Rey is “on vacation” for 2 weeks, following a vulgar, inappropriate post.

Reactions: johne

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I live in that area, so what JD is saying is correct. It's a nice area, but it has definitely developed over the years, not so quiet anymore. Traffic is what it is, horrible, but IMO that is almost anywhere in Santo Domingo. Will I shop here? Probably not as I can see parking/traffic in/out would be an issue. I may stop by just to see.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I live in that area, so what JD is saying is correct. It's a nice area, but it has definitely developed over the years, not so quiet anymore. Traffic is what it is, horrible, but IMO that is almost anywhere in Santo Domingo. Will I shop here? Probably not as I can see parking/traffic in/out would be an issue. I may stop by just to see.
I lived near Nuñez and Sarasota many years ago. Our apartment had a front balcony as wide as the apartment itself. As much as I liked it, I could clearly see traffic was going to be a headache in the not-too-distant future.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I live off Nunez... Traffic is unbelievable. It is one of the reasons on this trip we are looking to move. After 20+ years it is just too much. But I am not ready for the Campo either.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I live off Nunez... Traffic is unbelievable. It is one of the reasons on this trip we are looking to move. After 20+ years it is just too much. But I am not ready for the Campo either.
Costa Brava was my favorite. I felt like I was living in the campo, but just minutes from the city.
Costa Verde was another favorite. Quiet but the entrance was a little crazy at times.
Take a look at Colinas del Oeste. Very nice apartments, good layout, good security, built to American standards.
BRAVO and Smart Fit just outside the guardhouse. Also super close to the city and Autopista Duarte.

Reactions: keepcoming

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
It's a "nice area" by default. Between la Nuñez and Lincoln, a couple streets up from the Mirador Sur, basically smack dab in the middle of the busiest and wealthiest area of the country. I forget the name for it but there are 2 areas of Santo Domingo that have like 60-70% of the entire GDP of the Island and they are more or less located close to this area - Cacicazgos, Bella Vista, Naco, Piantini (a bit further north). I thought it was called the "Golden Triangle" but when I search for that I just get info on narco geo-zones in Western Mexico.

It's also the area on the island with the absolute worst traffic. SDE is also pretty bad but for the actual amount of distance you can drive in the amount of time, it's the worst, literally.

I think it's referred to as the Golden Polygon. And it's the area bordered by Máximo Gómez and Luperón and Kennedy to the north. And I think the statistic is even as high as 80%.

Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think it's referred to as the Golden Polygon. And it's the area bordered by Máximo Gómez and Luperón and Kennedy to the north. And I think the statistic is even as high as 80%.
There are quite a few "hidden" very exclusive residentials throughout that area that have some pretty spectacular homes. No throughways so no traffic.
A good example is c. dr. Nunez y Dominguez.
What always kills me is the development of certain areas. Further north I have a good friend who has a few homes in the area of Calle Erik Leonard Ekman. (He bought an incredible house there, then ended up buying the homes on both sides of him to develop his own personal "compound"
There used to be nothing out there but fields and mansions. Now it's mansions surrounded by wall-to-wall concrete.

Last edited:
Reactions: keepcoming

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

How can "60-70% of the entire GDP of the island" be concentrated there when Santo Domingo province alone doesn't creates more than 35% of the GDP of the country? :unsure:

Are you saying the rest of the country outside Greater Santo Domingo creates just 5% at most? :unsure: