Nacional at Sarasota (SD)

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
How can "60-70% of the entire GDP of the island" be concentrated there when Santo Domingo province alone doesn't creates more than 35% of the GDP of the country? :unsure:

Are you saying the rest of the country outside Greater Santo Domingo creates just 5% at most? :unsure:
Take a look at Maria's post. Whether it is gdp or assets/wealth I do not remember and I am having a difficult time finding results under "Golden polygon" or "central polygon" but that is indeed what I remember reading. Between the los cacicazgos area or basically 2-4 streets north and south of mirador sur and the "golden polygon" the vast majority of the country's wealth and assets are held.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Take a look at Maria's post. Whether it is gdp or assets/wealth I do not remember and I am having a difficult time finding results under "Golden polygon" or "central polygon" but that is indeed what I remember reading. Between the los cacicazgos area or basically 2-4 streets north and south of mirador sur and the "golden polygon" the vast majority of the country's wealth and assets are held.
The headquarters of most of the country's large companies are there, but many of them have presence all over the country (like most of the banks). When every year they report their finances to the government, everything gets registered as from their Santo Domingo main office but... It's a technicality that bolsters SD to undermines the rest.

For many years, several commerce companies with stores in the interior too would pass the collected taxes (mostly ITBIS) to the government and while a good chunk was actually collected in stores outside SD, on paper it looked as if everything was collected in SD.

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
The headquarters of most of the country's large companies are there, but many of them have presence all over the country (like most of the banks). When every year they report their finances to the government, everything gets registered as from their Santo Domingo main office but... It's a technicality that bolsters SD to undermines the rest.

For many years, several commerce companies with stores in the interior too would pass the collected taxes (mostly ITBIS) to the government and while a good chunk was actually collected in stores outside SD, on paper it looked as if everything was collected in SD.
Understood, and that makes a lot of sense.

That said, those 20-40 floor buildings ain't cheap, and there is no where else in the country that has that sort of arcitecture. Would not surprise me in the least to learn that 1-2 of those buildings, of which there are dozens (over a hundred?) literally total more GDP and/or overall value than an entire province say in Espillat or Samana.

Would not surprise me in the least to hear that Agora or Blue Mall are worth more/generate more $$ than the entirety of the province of Independencia or Pedernales.