phone advice

trspencer

Aug 27, 2023
Sosua
If whatever unlocked phone you buy supports eSIMS, you can set up/activate new service with a US carrier from the DR. I switched from VZW to Mint while in Sosua, no issues with activation (Mint is great btw, and cheap).

If your Galaxy supports dual eSIMs, you can run them both in parallel. I have Mint/Altice running on my iPhone, works great.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
If whatever unlocked phone you buy supports eSIMS, you can set up/activate new service with a US carrier from the DR. I switched from VZW to Mint while in Sosua, no issues with activation (Mint is great btw, and cheap).

If your Galaxy supports dual eSIMs, you can run them both in parallel. I have Mint/Altice running on my iPhone, works great.
This gets too technical for me. I actually have two phones because of the Apps. So under settings I have it set up US region and the DR apps works there too. On my Danish phone it’s under Denmark region. For instance banking apps only work in the one region. My banco popular App and Bank of America App wouldn’t work on my Danish phone and my Danish bank App wouldn’t work on my iPhone with US region. And there are other Apps like that that only works in one region.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I really don’t know what the purpose of a Skype or Google number behind VPN if one isn’t hiding from Interpol or the FBI. Isn’t it just easier to have a normal citizen’s cell service and number for the home country and one for DR?
What does behind VPN mean ? You seem to know a lot about this kind of stuff. The guy using different user names on dr1. Always anonymous. So you moved back to the US. I remember when you commented on posters not being in the DR as if that was something strange. Why are you posting on dr1 if you are in the US ?

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
What does behind VPN mean ? You seem to know a lot about this kind of stuff. The guy using different user names on dr1. Always anonymous. So you moved back to the US. I remember when you commented on posters not being in the DR as if that was something strange. Why are you posting on dr1 if you are in the US ?
Aren’t you back in Holland or something? Is Aarhus your real name? I’m not sure I understand your line of questioning. I’m also not sure how you obtained personal information, but no lost love there buddy! I just don’t want to see you cry 😢and embargo DR1 again because someone said something that didn’t fit your model. I value your input. Have a blessed evening

Back on topic, new user Spenser has it. As long as your home country carrier has eSIM it’s the way to go. Unfortunately for those ducking the IRS, Interpol or the FBI, eSIM may not be plausible for that demographic

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Aren’t you back in Holland or something? Is Aarhus your real name? I’m not sure I understand your line of questioning. I’m also not sure how you obtained personal information, but no lost love there buddy! I just don’t want to see you cry 😢and embargo DR1 again because someone said something that didn’t fit your model. I value your input. Have a blessed evening

Back on topic, new user Spenser has it. As long as your home country carrier has eSIM it’s the way to go. Unfortunately for those ducking the IRS, Interpol or the FBI, eSIM may not be plausible for that demographic
I am in the DR right now. But going back to Europe soon. Yes I certainly take breaks from being online posting and on dr1. You posted earlier that you had moved back to the US. The civilized world you called it. So hardly personal information. Posted as hijo de manolo. Aarhus is my hometown in Denmark.

I have two phones because of the Apps and not to have two phone numbers. I am not sure I need the Skype nr on it. I can also just use my iPhone like an iPad. I think for the Apps it’s more important the credit card on it. The Skype nr hasn’t worked to well actually. Maybe I will get rid of it.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I am in the DR right now. But going back to Europe soon. Yes I certainly take breaks from being online posting and on dr1. You posted earlier that you had moved back to the US. The civilized world you called it. So hardly personal information. Posted as hijo de manolo. Aarhus is my hometown in Denmark.

I have two phones because of the Apps and not to have two phone numbers. I am not sure I need the Skype nr on it. I can also just use my iPhone like an iPad. I think for the Apps it’s more important the credit card on it. The Skype nr hasn’t worked to well actually. Maybe I will get rid of it.
Ah Denmark, home to the stegt flaesk! Perhaps I did mention that, very creepy you are keeping tabs 😟. Skype is a dinosaur, along with febu. If you’re talking about iPhone, apps and security are unmatched, can’t you add an eSIM for DR via Claro to your device?

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Need some advice on what to do with my phone situation. I have a Galaxy Cheapie with a DR phone number that I'm happy with.

I would like to buy an unlocked phone and get an American phone number. It doesn't have to be state of the art but the imperative is having an American phone number.

Right now, I have Skype with an American phone number but I really want to delete my Microsoft account for a myriad of reasons. What would the board recommend, if this is indeed doable?

I guess I could buy an unlocked phone in the states and have it sent to me, but I'm concerned I won't be able to set it up with a USA phone # over here in the DR.

Thanks

Rob
buy an xr iphone from Amazon refurbished under $200 with this phone you can put a Dominican carrier and an American Carrier on the same phone, they work great with a guarantee from amazon. I use claro and tmoblie

Reactions: NanSanPedro

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
buy an xr iphone from Amazon refurbished under $200 with this phone you can put a Dominican carrier and an American Carrier on the same phone, they work great with a guarantee from amazon. I use claro and tmoblie
My 100 USD Nokia C2 carry two SIM cards, Claro and t-mobile both prepaid. My t-mobile is roaming everywhere I use it for incoming SMS verification codes etc. I use Claro with a data package as my internet backup if all other connections go down. AND I have a US Skype number 6.50 USD a month plus some call credit.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
My 100 USD Nokia C2 carry two SIM cards, Claro and t-mobile both prepaid. My t-mobile is roaming everywhere I use it for incoming SMS verification codes etc. I use Claro with a data package as my internet backup if all other connections go down. AND I have a US Skype number 6.50 USD a month plus some call credit.
I have actually used my Skype nr in some cases for verification codes. It works with some Apps I use. So my Skype nr was useful for that. And to make some US calls.

Reactions: tht

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
isomebody iplease iexplain to ime iwhy I ineed an iPhone? No ioffense aarhus, but idoesn't icarrying two phones get a little old?

• Haha
Reactions: AlterEgo

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
isomebody iplease iexplain to ime iwhy I ineed an iPhone? No ioffense aarhus, but idoesn't icarrying two phones get a little old?
It’s because of the Apps. I live in Denmark and visit here. Many Danish Apps including different government apps and my bank app don’t work on a phone set up for the DR/US Apps. Does that makes sense ? I don’t have a DR nr right now. My Danish nr is on my Android and the Skype nr I use on my iPhone. Regarding iPhone versus Android. I like both.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I don’t think the point is iPhone bud. I think the deal is eSIM for international frequent travelers, like digital nomads to abuse that antiquated phrase. The issue is for it to truly work you ideally would have a legacy home country carrier (think AT&T or Verizon in US) and an eSIM for your expat destination. Claro was the first to support this tech in DofR. In the iPhone 14 Pro Max you can have up to 8 eSIMs, the 15 can also take eSIM and a physical SIM. The US carriers (idk about EU countries) will be happy to unlock your device. Now, if you’re a perv on the run or ducking the IRS you will need to look for another solution where your passport, cédula or SS# are not required!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Have you ever had one? I go back to DOS days, and I resisted Windows, then iPhones. I’m now a firm Apple owner. iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, they’re all connected and share.

I once bought a dual sim phone to use in DR (android) but it was smashed there. I never did get used to it, and I didn’t miss it.

Before WhatsApp, Mr AE and I both carried 2 phones in DR, one for local calls and one for calls to/from USA. Now we just have one each. T-Mobile gives us internet and texting free, so WhatsApp calls free and other calls are about $.25 a minute

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I wonder if the eSIMs also works for the Apps. If you can have like two sets of apps. Of course many apps works in all app store regions. All the social media for instance

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Have you ever had one? I go back to DOS days, and I resisted Windows, then iPhones. I’m now a firm Apple owner. iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, they’re all connected and share.

I once bought a dual sim phone to use in DR (android) but it was smashed there. I never did get used to it, and I didn’t miss it.

Before WhatsApp, Mr AE and I both carried 2 phones in DR, one for local calls and one for calls to/from USA. Now we just have one each. T-Mobile gives us internet and texting free, so WhatsApp calls free and other calls are about $.25 a minute
I've never owned one.

I bought one for my ex many years ago, and of course the first thing she did was go shopping with it tucked in the side pocket for all to see.

You can guess what happened. lol

I also resisted the android phone and used a Blackberry until they bit the dust. Still my all time favorite.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008

My iPhone 11 is definitely better than my Pixel android. It’s much more of a work tool. More like a computer. I also have a MacBook Air and iPad. The iPad is good for reading.

Maybe Samsung has some android version that are good. I don’t know.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
i do the same