Pirates: Behind The Legends - TV Show

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Thanks for posting this, it looks good! I really enjoyed the series "Black Sails" on Starz several years ago, it's probably on several streaming services now or other sites for viewing. Several historical pirate figures mixed with "Treasure Island" characters featured throughout.

Reactions: Lucifer and Jan

marcosalm

Jul 24, 2018
Santiago
I remember a while back there was a post about the Pirates of the Caribbean. I found this new TV series. I'm downloading it now to watch. The first episode is about Sir Francia Drake. Can't wait to watch it when it finishes downloading.

I wrote a little about Drake on my web site. Maybe I'll have a little more history to add.
But what's the name of the new series?!?

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Thanks for posting this, it looks good! I really enjoyed the series "Black Sails" on Starz several years ago, it's probably on several streaming services now or other sites for viewing. Several historical pirate figures mixed with "Treasure Island" characters featured throughout.
Black Sails was one of the best TV shows in many years!

Reactions: Auryn

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I remember a while back there was a post about the Pirates of the Caribbean. I found this new TV series. I'm downloading it now to watch. The first episode is about Sir Francia Drake. Can't wait to watch it when it finishes downloading.

I wrote a little about Drake on my web site. Maybe I'll have a little more history to add.
You should read “Spain: The Center of the World (1519 - 1642)”. Though the author is British and hence the English version is the original, many years ago I bought the Spanish version and only after perusing the book and stumbling one a simple fact: there is one chapter devoted to Francis Drake invasion of Santo Domingo in 1586. That was enough to decide to buy the book!

I also have a copy of Drake’s notes during that expedition starting in the Azores and ending with after the attack of Havana. While it was a hard read becausd it’s literally in the old English that he wrote in, it did give a different perspective and even noted things that I had never seen anywhere, such as there was a black boy that was used as a sort of messenger between Drake and the Spanish authorities once he had Santo Domingo. After a few back and forth, the boy returned to Drake with a wound created by one of the Spanish authorities. The kid died on Drake’s arms. Ow, why no one ever mentions that or even know about it? It’s in the notes of Drake himself!

Several years before or after that I stumbled on another book, though this one is rather thin and appears it was written more for a younger audience. However, perusi g through the book simply to see if there was anything that would catch my eye and thinking that I will put it back rather than buy it, most of the images it has I had already seen. One in particular did caught me eye as I never had seen it. It’s a 3D rendering of Santo Domingo (only what is now the Colonial Zone) with much outside the walls covered in forest showing how Drake and his men disembarked in Haina, traversed the forest that was in what now is most of the DN and invaded the city through two doors, El Conde and Misericordia (still without those names.) That alone made me change my mind of putting back the book and instead bought it too. That book is in English titled: “The Great Expedition: Sir Francis Drake on the Spanish Main 1585 - 86.” I wouldn’t call it a “great expedition” or even refer to him with the title of “Sir,” but it was written in English. I’ll let it pass. lol

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
You should read “Spain: The Center of the World (1519 - 1642)”. Though the author is British and hence the English version is the original, many years ago I bought the Spanish version and only after perusing the book and stumbling one a simple fact: there is one chapter devoted to Francis Drake invasion of Santo Domingo in 1586. That was enough to decide to buy the book!

I also have a copy of Drake’s notes during that expedition starting in the Azores and ending with after the attack of Havana. While it was a hard read becausd it’s literally in the old English that he wrote in, it did give a different perspective and even noted things that I had never seen anywhere, such as there was a black boy that was used as a sort of messenger between Drake and the Spanish authorities once he had Santo Domingo. After a few back and forth, the boy returned to Drake with a wound created by one of the Spanish authorities. The kid died on Drake’s arms. Ow, why no one ever mentions that or even know about it? It’s in the notes of Drake himself!

Several years before or after that I stumbled on another book, though this one is rather thin and appears it was written more for a younger audience. However, perusi g through the book simply to see if there was anything that would catch my eye and thinking that I will put it back rather than buy it, most of the images it has I had already seen. One in particular did caught me eye as I never had seen it. It’s a 3D rendering of Santo Domingo (only what is now the Colonial Zone) with much outside the walls covered in forest showing how Drake and his men disembarked in Haina, traversed the forest that was in what now is most of the DN and invaded the city through two doors, El Conde and Misericordia (still without those names.) That alone made me change my mind of putting back the book and instead bought it too. That book is in English titled: “The Great Expedition: Sir Francis Drake on the Spanish Main 1585 - 86.” I wouldn’t call it a “great expedition” or even refer to him with the title of “Sir,” but it was written in English. I’ll let it pass. lol
This is what I wrote about Drake. There's a few links to historical documents and the maps too. https://www.colonialzone-dr.com/drake/

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The link on Drake keeps bringing this photo up
IMG_0339.jpeg

Reactions: mobrouser

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was in his pub in the colonial zone ( Drakes Pub ) about 34 yrs. ago.
The pub came and went, but the cannonball fired from one of Drakes invading boats and landed on the roof of the cathedral in 1586 is still there. Why it didn’t destroy the cathedral? Big mystery. It can still be seen from Parque Colón on the roof of the cathedral above the area of the second or third window.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
The pub came and went, but the cannonball fired from one of Drakes invading boats and landed on the roof of the cathedral in 1586 is still there. Why it didn’t destroy the cathedral? Big mystery. It can still be seen from Parque Colón on the roof of the cathedral above the area of the second or third window.
I wrote a little about the cannonball on my web site. I took a picture and that is on my web site too. https://www.colonialzone-dr.com/catedral-de-santo-domingo/#facts