Pools in DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Those pools are dinky. Average pool size in Florida is about 15,000 gallons. Never found maintaining a pool to take much time or cost much money in chemicals, but you do have to know how to balance a pool. Taking care of my yard was way more work. I spent more time washing my car once a week than I did taking care of the pool. I wouldn't buy a house without a pool.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The same goes for condos. I would never rent or buy a condo that didn't have a pool. Spent the afternoon out by the pool today. It was fabulous. Water temp was perfect. Gotta a nice tan going. It's a great way to beat the heat.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Ah, guests…. Friends of ours (Dominican) have a home about 1/4 mile down the road from us. Gorgeous grounds, beautiful pool. Every weekend they had a mob of people there, swimming, dancing, food, beer, rum, etc. Mostly from Santo Domingo, some like us were local.

They bought land another 1/4-1/2 mile further inland, atop a hill, with amazing views of the Caribbean. Built a big 2-story house, large outdoor gazebo with a bar, big Tv, BBQ, etc. Decided to move there and Air BnB the other house. No pool. Well, their “friends” weren’t happy, and they stopped visiting them. Some had the nerve to call and ask if the first house was rented that weekend, and if not could they go use the pool. They were being used for their pool.
There's a scientific term for these folks: Lambones!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I made it smaller by volume..... installing ledges down the long sides - in case a child or dog falls in..... a safe haven !!

Easy out !!

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Big pools are a magnet for unwanted family, friends... to stop by unannounced. Both groups towing additional unknown uninvited guests.
Guess who hosts and then cleans up after them if they are allowed in? Small pools say stay away.

Regards,

PJT
So true for us Dominicans! Family assumes that every weekend is a party. But no one wants to clean at the end!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I just finished my new home and Im a lap swimmer. I think Rolando created the best pool on the north coast for me and its also is handicap access.

It's a rental in Seahorse, but I live there also. All lap swimmers are invited :)

If you like pools

I like this house even more than the other one!

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
353470271_741430514446387_5525023316761466633_n.jpg

Now this what I am talking about, worth my money. I would buy this house in heartbeat. But problem, I dont have $2M USD lol

Reactions: AlaPlaya and cavok

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Most Dominicans will be satisfied with a jacuzzi or small footprint pool in their backyard. Swimming is not an actual activity for them.

They mainly serve to cool off and seating.
You have world class beaches in a short travel all year round for swimming and activities.
No need to clean after that.

The biggest drawback is the unlimited bugs/birds/etc… (aside from the extended family).

That’s why most are such…

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most Dominicans will be satisfied with a jacuzzi or small footprint pool in their backyard. Swimming is not an actual activity for them.

You have world class beaches in a short travel all year round for swimming and activities.

The biggest drawback is the unlimited bugs/birds/etc… (aside from the extended family).

No doubt.

But, many gringos coming to retire or rent an Airbnb owned by a Dominican who is happy with a jacuzzi don't feel that way.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

This is so true. My Swiss friend at Plaza Tonton in Boca Chica advised me never to come on Sunday. Way to crowded for you to swim.

I like swimming as an alternative to the treadmill, but I think I'm the only one in the DR.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This is so true. My Swiss friend at Plaza Tonton in Boca Chica advised me never to come on Sunday. Way to crowded for you to swim.

I like swimming as an alternative to the treadmill, but I think I'm the only one in the DR.
Boca Chica in the morning is pretty nice. Usually flat and calm and nobody around.

I used to take a chair and a thermos with coffee and a cigar and just sit there while reflecting on how well I was doing.

Reactions: NanSanPedro