Santo Domingo Airport

rover

Aug 19, 2007
I want to know how is the bus transportation from the airport in Santo Domingo to the city center right around Parque Independencia ???

I would like to avoid the 1,000 to 1,500 peso cab ride I'm being quoted if possible.

I MAY be arriving at night like about 8:30 P.M.

Also do you need to take a taxi to get to the bus once in the airport ???

Thanks

• Haha
Reactions: Jacquot

pidgeonplease

Nov 20, 2009
ya

i would like to know this aswell. can you take a short/cheaper taxi ride to a bus terminal that will take you into town if buses arent available from the airport?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
So how did you get from SDQ to Parque Independencia?
Once you get past the two to three Km to the west bound side of Autopista Las Americas, either on foot or taxi, you look for a place where buses are stopping. Then walk up to the guy who looks like he is in charge and say, "Guagua para Parque Independencia." Then wait until he tells you to get on the bus. It was about 100 pesos about three years ago. I haven't done it since then, because my wife made promise to quit, but that worked during daylight hours. I might be afraid to do it at night. As Mm530 says uber is cheap. Before the agreement between Uber and LRD that I read about recently it was under 1000 pesos to Plaza Luperon, if you waited for the price, and that's practically all the way through town.

Reactions: rover and Grampa

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
Once you get past the two to three Km to the west bound side of Autopista Las Americas, either on foot or taxi, you look for a place where buses are stopping. Then walk up to the guy who looks like he is in charge and say, "Guagua para Parque Independencia." Then wait until he tells you to get on the bus. It was about 100 pesos about three years ago. I haven't done it since then, because my wife made promise to quit, but that worked during daylight hours. I might be afraid to do it at night. As Mm530 says uber is cheap. Before the agreement between Uber and LRD that I read about recently it was under 1000 pesos to Plaza Luperon, if you waited for the price, and that's practically all the way through town.

My family warned me off of doing this alone or at night. Also since there is no practical way to get there from the airport it's much more sensible to just suck it up and stay in the taxi.

Reactions: wuarhat

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Why not walk up to the Texaco station (Assuming it's still a Texaco station) and have an UBER pick you up there?

Reactions: Grampa

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
uber super cheap safe and reliable....
Not for airports and I've read here and many Dominican papers that talk about the uber bait and switch. I have not experienced it myself but my family has. We're hoping for an improvement in service but the uber prices will almost certainly raise up, double even and there's little hope of the taxi rates getting cheaper, even though they should.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If you are travelling with valuables like your passport and maybe a computer, I would seriously advise that you suck up the taxi fare. It's US$ 30 - US$ 40 in an airport cab.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I once forgot my backpack with all my valuables in an airport taxi. A phone call from hotel to the taxi stand at the airport and one hour later the taxi driver brought the backpack to my hotel, with nothing lost. This was in the Capital.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Not for airports and I've read here and many Dominican papers that talk about the uber bait and switch. I have not experienced it myself but my family has. We're hoping for an improvement in service but the uber prices will almost certainly raise up, double even and there's little hope of the taxi rates getting cheaper, even though they should.
I never had that problem. what ever the app says is what pay...my credit is on file so i never pay in cash....

Reactions: wuarhat

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I never had that problem. what ever the app says is what pay...my credit is on file so i never pay in cash....

The issue is that Uber doesn't pay drivers well to go to the airport and they can't see the destination until you get into the vehicle and they start the trip. So the driver arrives, realises that you're going to the airport and then says he wants more money or to cancel the trip. You are fine to cancel, but then you have to rebook the trip again and wait for another driver, and usually you are time-critical when going to an airport. It happened to me three times and I vowed never to use Uber to the airport again. Uber is perfect in the city when time isn't so critical, I wouldn't recommend it to the airport or somewhere like Boca Chica.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Why not walk up to the Texaco station (Assuming it's still a Texaco station) and have an UBER pick you up there?

I think that walk is about a mile, with luggage. You never see anyone on foot walking there, you would seriously be a target, especially at night. I don't suppose there is even a sidewalk

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think that walk is about a mile, with luggage. You never see anyone on foot walking there, you would seriously be a target, especially at night. I don't suppose there is even a sidewalk
Agreed. The day I have to stress about saving $15-20 is the day I stay home. I don’t throw money around, but after sitting on a plane for hours, I just want to get where I’m going.

Full disclosure, we get picked up at SDQ by family, but still…….

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
My family warned me off of doing this alone or at night. Also since there is no practical way to get there from the airport it's much more sensible to just suck it up and stay in the taxi.
I'm not advising or recommending that they do that, but that is the answer to their question.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I've always been picked on the airport upper deck by Uber. I've never had a problem.

I agree, and Uber from the airport is more practical since the drivers know where they are going from and to. But the OP wanted to take the bus, that's what we are mainly advising against.