shower radar

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I've consulted with our weather expert MikeF and have confirmed that the Dominican Republic has no weather radar concerning rain. The closest would be in the P.R. The Dominican Republic is unique with so many high mountains and low valleys that it is impossible to forecast any local weather event. Our Island has so many micro climates that can change in a minute.

You can see the weather that we forecast but you can also just look up. It can change in a couple of minutes.

Don't let that ruin your day for a BBQ. Enjoy the change and roll with it. It's a warm rain. :)

I only try to provide indicators with Wunderweather.com

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you're talking about a doppler, Grupo Punta Cana has one but it's for their use. They used to have a public link but as far as I know they took it down.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I would trust the infrared from NOAA for the Caribbean. The cool thing is that the loop predicts 5 hours into the future. It can be zoomed in as well.

Caribbean - AVN Color Infrared Loop (Flash) - Satellite Services Division/Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution

Chip,
it does not predict anything into the future, the opposite, the most actual shot on the loop is usually between 30 and 90 minutes old.
the time shown on the loop/under the loop is shown in UTC, that's the general meantime.
here in the DR we are 4 hours behind that time, so it shows right now the most actual photo/latest on the loop photo taken at 2:15AM which is here local DR time 10:15PM, 40 minutes ago.
no loop can look into the future, that would be a Columbus's egg, lol.

cheers

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and such loops show just the general conditions over a wide area/the whole country/the whole caribbean Sea, njo indications of specific small locations weather, they are not exact on such.

Mike

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,
it does not predict anything into the future, the opposite, the most actual shot on the loop is usually between 30 and 90 minutes old.
the time shown on the loop/under the loop is shown in UTC, that's the general meantime.
here in the DR we are 4 hours behind that time, so it shows right now the most actual photo/latest on the loop photo taken at 2:15AM which is here local DR time 10:15PM, 40 minutes ago.
no loop can look into the future, that would be a Columbus's egg, lol.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike for the clarification, if anyone would know it would be you.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it can be confusing, depending which site one frequents the times are on some also shown in US Eastern Time and there are some on Atlantic Time, on all that always considering that we do not have sunlight saving summer time changes in the DR, lol.
but for most sites, like around the National Hurricane Center, time stamps show UTC/General meantime/Greenwich Time.

Mike