Sour (bitter) orange tree

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

I came across this tree yesterday on a property that I have some interest in. Reading about a tree that has been kicking around (almost grows wild) for centuries is fascinating. Anybody familiar with this fruit?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
WE use them to make "English Oxford Marmalade" ! See the jars on the far end of the table at the recent Farmers Market in Sosua.

Attachments

• DSCF1024.JPG
    DSCF1024.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
Reactions: johne

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
WE use them to make "English Oxford Marmalade" ! See the jars on the far end of the table at the recent Farmers Market in Sosua.
When and where are these farmer's markets held ?

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
They grow in Curaçao, and the peels are used to make the original Curaçao liqueur. (Apparently, all other "Blue Curaçao" liqueurs do not use this type of orange.) The distillery in Curaçao hand picks the oranges and then they are also peeled by hand. They only make about 120,000 bottles of liqueur a year from the peels.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
They grow in Curaçao, and the peels are used to make the original Curaçao liqueur. (Apparently, all other "Blue Curaçao" liqueurs do not use this type of orange.) The distillery in Curaçao hand picks the oranges and then they are also peeled by hand. They only make about 120,000 bottles of liqueur a year from the peels.
They grow in DR. We have two in our garden. We give the fruit away so many we have sometimes. I wash the chicken with vinegar, not the naranja agria.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I believe they're very common here. I had about a dozen of them on the farm in PP. Easier to find than sweet oranges.

Reactions: Fulano2

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
When and where are these farmer's markets held ?
Every first Saturday of the month from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Wirtshaus Zum Dicken (Sosua, La Mulata) The Stalls will be in the parking lot of the Restaurant which is located up the La Malata Road past the international School and next to the Marcado La Mulata. Next Market will be Saturday 3rd June.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Every first Saturday of the month from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Wirtshaus Zum Dicken (Sosua, La Mulata) The Stalls will be in the parking lot of the Restaurant which is located up the La Malata Road past the international School and next to the Marcado La Mulata. Next Market will be Saturday 3rd June.

Thanks I know that location as I go to the colmado next door.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Speaking of oranges...
Nothing like a little mandarin to cleanse the pallot after them buttermilk biscuts while vacationing here in Florida. Life is good.

Attachments

• 20230520_113107.jpg
    20230520_113107.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 66

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How is the Tarpon fishing? I also have a few sour orange trees in my yard in Sosua. They have fruit almost all year.

I’m happy to hear that!

In our area of the south coast, all citrus trees have been failing for years. We used to have a dozen limon trees and several naranja trees. All dead except one. Not only us, for many miles around. First they blamed the cement factory (Domicen opened about the time they started dying), then Punta Catalina. Last time I bought a lata of limones at a roadside stand, it was over 300 pesos. Naranja agria are like gold.

Reactions: CristoRey

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If the patio of this house is any indication of how the tree was cared for...it would be dead. But it was full of fruit.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If the patio of this house is any indication of how the tree was cared for...it would be dead. But it was full of fruit.
Is this the same house you've been thinking about buying?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Speaking of oranges...
Nothing like a little mandarin to cleanse the pallot after them buttermilk biscuts while vacationing here in Florida. Life is good.
Are you sure that's not a clementine?
Up here in the great white north they tend to sell them interchangeably.
They are my go to when everything else is being sold unripe and not ready for prime time. (cold winter brr...)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Are you sure that's not a clementine?
Up here in the great white north they tend to sell them interchangeably.
They are my go to when everything else is being sold unripe and not ready for prime time. (cold winter brr...)
California mandarins.
Been eating them since I was a kid.
Bravo in Santiago carries mandarin organges from time to time. Not sure if they imported or local. Either way, absolutely delicious.