Steroids put in danger lives of young baseball prospects

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Anabolic-Steroids-Medline-Plus-e1683034178539.png

Local media is reporting on the too many cases of life-damaged teenagers affected after taking anabolic steroids to enhance their physical conditions and get contracts with Major League Baseball. Steroids are sold over the counter in the Dominican Republic.

Diario Libre has been publishing reports on the tragedy; Alicia Ortega dedicated her 1 May 2023 El Informe to the issue with seriously harmed teenagers telling their sad stories to discourage others from falling prey to unscrupulous trainers.

Follow the story:Diario Libre El Informe con Alicia Ortega

2 May 2023

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
Heart wrenching. The lure of success whether it is driven by rags to riches and or fame and fortune dreams has once again shown how an unregulated market for pharmaceuticals especially when sports related can either be a blessing or a curse. And in this story it epitomizes what it means to be a curse.

The ease in which PED's are available on the island is mind boggling and the fast and loose manner in which these trainers dispense it as if were candy, is just another layer of frightening ignorance. To think that the human body can perform at twice the level of your peers without any consequences or even worse "acceptable" consequences is the stuff of nightmares!

One Has to ask how far up the chain does this climb? Is MLB aware of this in turn a blind eye? With the appeal of bigger, stronger, faster. Do the ends justify the means.

I would like to say however that this was a great piece of journalism. I was in tears at how these two kids and their parents lives have forever been changed, cynical thinking would have you think that both the kids and parents knew these were not just "vitamins" and prospects of them becoming prospects made this an afterthought. Whatever your opinion is on the matter, it is always sad to see young vibrant folks succumb to what we often see as debilitations that we endure in the later years of our lives. Immensely sad.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Athletes are not the only individuals who are young but need to put their bodies at risk in order to make money.
Most to do not have the reward options that athletes do.
Sorry, but I don't share a tear for anyone in this story.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We were all young once and many of us didn't use a ton of common sense. I do feel bad for those who shoot for the lottery of MLB and fall short.

I agree, and many of these boys are campo kids like my neighbors. Their parents are barely literate and they see that brass ring……. Our maid’s 18 year old brother is living at a MLB baseball academy in Bani. He comes home once or twice a month. The hopes and dreams his family have for him are immeasurable. “One pill makes you larger…..”

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Here is some good advice:

McKinzie asked Barkley if he had any advice for aspiring players who might want to play in the NBA. Barkley said he does not want young kids to pursue sports, comparing becoming a professional athlete to winning the lottery. However, he wants these kids to finish their education and get a real hardworking job.

That is going hard in the paint 🏀

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Here is some good advice:

McKinzie asked Barkley if he had any advice for aspiring players who might want to play in the NBA. Barkley said he does not want young kids to pursue sports, comparing becoming a professional athlete to winning the lottery. However, he wants these kids to finish their education and get a real hardworking job.

That is going hard in the paint 🏀
Barkley is 100% dead on. Very few 15-22 year olds will listen to him.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Supposedly last year a bill was presented in the Dominican Senate regulating the training of youth in the baseball camps. It may have been passed or not. Hopefully, if it was passed in the fine print of the law there is mention of testing for drugs when players apply for enrollment in the camps and unannounced testing during training. Also, the administrators and trainers should be tested. Steroids are bad news.

Regards,

PJT

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is sad that some of these "baseball academies" do not offer better guidance on this. Back in the day there were "vitamin injections" the players took because the so called "trainer" told them it would be good for them. Not sure though if it is a lack of education/ignorance or the thought process of "I won't get caught".

• Sad
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Gotta love it...more calls for government regulation.
Increase in the size of the nanny state.
The ruin of the Dominican Republic
Gringo go home!!
Doesn't anyone believe in personal responsibility anymore?

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I know the MLB academies don't permit steroids and test for it. They also invest in the players' academics.
There is a big difference between the MLB academies and the academies that are independently ran, which there are many. Plus add into the mix the so called "trainers" that take on a potential prospect/prospects. Until players are signed by an MLB team/sent to an MLB academy, most start out this way.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I just don't get it why the use of steroids should provide any positive efect for a young baseball player !?
Cycling, Triathlon, Marathon etc etc. there must be plenty of sports that doping definetely provide you with some advantage, but Baseball ????
I think it's more like a pill against brainlessness. Anyway, this kid's are old enough to f... up theit own life. I don't care.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I just don't get it why the use of steroids should provide any positive efect for a young baseball player !?
Cycling, Triathlon, Marathon etc etc. there must be plenty of sports that doping definetely provide you with some advantage, but Baseball ????
I think it's more like a pill against brainlessness. Anyway, this kid's are old enough to f... up theit own life. I don't care.
I guess you just don't understand steroids. Speed and strength for baseball. Different kind of steroids for different sports.

Reactions: BermudaRum

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Steroids should be illegal.
The damage isn't just physical, it's psychological as well.
I knew several people back home who used them
from their late teens into their twenties and thirties.
All of them are dead now and some of them took a few
people with them before they went. I'd post some of the
news articles but I don't want to take this thread off-topic.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The steroids do dreadful damage to the sexual organs of a man .. Just tell that to a Dominican and they will steer away from them.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I am shocked at how easy they are to get. Even the place i get my supplements from also posts steroids on their feed.

my gym is full of guys who are juicing and even shoot in the locker room.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Some of these younger players see their "MLB hero's" getting caught for steroid use. Now if some of those MLB players would come out and speak about the harm steroids can cause these younger players maybe there would be some change. Unfortunately, you are going to still have some that think/or are told that nothing bad will happen.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I am shocked at how easy they are to get. Even the place i get my supplements from also posts steroids on their feed.

my gym is full of guys who are juicing and even shoot in the locker room.
and you can get strong antibiotics otc as well

Reactions: chicagoan14