Subpoena in DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are there subpoenas in DR? Can someone be forced to testify at a trial as a hostile witness?

Please, only respond if you know the law, I’m not looking for opinions.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Yes! If you've been duly summoned and don't show up, upon request of one of the parties, the judge can issue an "order de conducencia". so the police can go get you, and make you show up.
Does there not exist some clause that the summoned party gets a "first miss" penalty free, however upon missing the second cita, now they can be brought in by the fuerza publica?

Reactions: Aguaita29

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They will also assist the USA courts with serving a subpeona as I watched a good friend of mine get served one afternoon back 2016 while sitting in his apartment.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Does there not exist some clause that the summoned party gets a "first miss" penalty free, however upon missing the second cita, now they can be brought in by the fuerza publica?
I don't know of a clause that states that. It all depends on the the judge if you get another chance to show up without using public force. I know someone government position who was given three citas.

Check Codigo Procesal Penal, arts 198 & 199
https://poderjudicial.gob.do/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Codigo_Procesal_Penal.pdf

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I don't know of a clause that states that. It all depends on the the judge if you get another chance to show up without using public force. I know someone government position who was given three citas.

Check Codigo Procesal Penal, arts 198 & 199
https://poderjudicial.gob.do/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Codigo_Procesal_Penal.pdf
Thank you. I forgot about this. It just goes to show you what they tell you is the law really may just be someone's policy or personal preference 😩