Suggestion, a thread about when to use a with the infinitive

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Right now, I'm confused about it. I get it right about 1/2 the time, but it's only because I'm guessing. There as to be grammatical rules about when and when not to use a with the infinitive. I just don't know what they are.

An example, but without the infinitive (courtesy Fluencia): Conocieron a mucha gente interesante en su último viaje.

I don't see what the a is doing.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is no rule as such - you have to memorise the verbs that are followed by prepositions:

And in turn:

Hasta yo, que hablo español bastante bien, tengo que pensarlo dos veces cuando se trata de algunos de estos verbos.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Right now, I'm confused about it. I get it right about 1/2 the time, but it's only because I'm guessing. There as to be grammatical rules about when and when not to use a with the infinitive. I just don't know what they are.

An example, but without the infinitive (courtesy Fluencia): Conocieron a mucha gente interesante en su último viaje.

I don't see what the a is doing.

You can use this thread for your question.

Based on what you asked you may be referring to two grammatical concepts:

1) the personal A

2) the simple future tense

The personal a

In general, the personal a is used in Spanish when the direct object represents a definite person or persons. However, it is not usually used with tener and definitely not with hay.

The example Fluencia gave is perfect. Conocieron a mucha gente.

The a in that phrase is the personal a because the direct object refers to people - gente.

Here is my example:

Conozco a Juan- the personal a is used before the noun Juan because he is a person.

The Future Tense

The simple future tense is formed by using the verb ir + a followed by the infinitive.

Ex, I am going to go tomorrow = Voy a ir mañana .

We are going to go to the beach= Vamos a ir a la playa.

They are going to eat at 6pm= Van a comer a las 6pm.

In this future construction the a is always followed by the infinitive. Ir +a + infinitive.

One aspect to note the personal a is often omitted in Caribbean speech patterns. You will hear and see in writing Voy hacer which is incorrect. It should be voy a hacer ..... if the a is omitted it is grammatically incorrect. As well, the personal a is often omitted when the direct object is a person in Caribbean Spanish. The usage depends on the speaker.

These are the two grammar concepts I see in your question.

-MP.

Last edited: