Tax Free DOMEX

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Got this message from DOMEX today:

As of today, February 22, 2023, our address in Miami is certified as a " Florida Tax Free" address , which means; that from this moment when you make your purchases through Amazon.com and enter your Domex address, you will not be charged Florida taxes of 7%. It's that automatic and simple. No more tax ! No more asking Amazon to refund those taxes.

Domex is proud to become one of the first Couriers in the Dominican Republic to offer this EXCLUSIVE benefit to all its customers.

Automatic for Florida purchases, but you have to request it for purchases from other states.

Reactions: cavok

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas

As of today, February 22, 2023, our address in Miami is certified as a " Florida Tax Free" address , which means; that from this moment when you make your purchases through Amazon.com and enter your Domex address, you will not be charged Florida taxes of 7%. It's that automatic and simple. No more tax ! No more asking Amazon to refund those taxes.

Domex is proud to become one of the first Couriers in the Dominican Republic to offer this EXCLUSIVE benefit to all its customers.

Automatic for Florida purchases, but you have to request it for purchases from other states.

sales tax in the meth state is 5%

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

Same for Vimenpaq about 2 years ago........So Domex first I think not.

Reactions: Astucia

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
"Domex is proud to become one of the first Couriers"

Where did they say the first?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not a very big deal IMO--- FLA only

I suppose if you're buying your appliances/furniture or whatever it could be advantageous
I bought a stove once in FL for here but it was a deal..... $150 instead of $999

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Anything shipped to that address should not have sales tax charged.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
you can ad this tax exempt # directly to your amazon account. Guys 5% less is not bad at all

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
you can ad this tax exempt # directly to your amazon account. Guys 5% less is not bad at all
6%

Florida's general state sales tax rate is 6% with the following exceptions: Retail sales of new mobile homes - 3% Amusement machine receipts - 4% Rental, lease, or license of commercial real property - 5.5%

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

I suppose if you're buying your appliances/furniture or whatever it could be advantageous
I bought a stove once in FL for here but it was a deal..... $150 instead of $999
It's not Florida only.

If you buy your item in Florida, it is automatically exempt from paying taxes.

for items from everywhere else, there is a different procedure you have to follow to be exempt.

Important:

1. The exemption only applies to items shipped from the state of Florida. For all other cases, you can request a refund of your taxes by downloading the Export Proof of your package from "My Account". See here how to do it!
  2. The exemption only applies to taxes collected by the state of Florida. It does not include or have any relationship with the taxes and customs obligations of the Dominican Republic. Remember that any package that arrives in the DR and its commercial value is US$200 or greater is taxed with customs duties. (Decree 627-06 / General Regulation No. 01-2018) For more information on customs taxes in the DR, consult the DGA. ( General Directorate of Customs ).

Reactions: cavok

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013

Aren't most of the companies that ship to here ( Vimenpaq, EPS, etc) located in Florida ? I use Vivempaq and have bought goods from everywhere ( including China ), had them shipped to my Florida Vivempaq address. And have never paid sales tax. That is not just from Amazon, but Ebay, Shein, lots of other online vendors.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've always wondered if freight from other cities (NY for example) would be cheaper than Miami.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Aren't most of the companies that ship to here ( Vimenpaq, EPS, etc) located in Florida ? I use Vivempaq and have bought goods from everywhere ( including China ), had them shipped to my Florida Vivempaq address. And have never paid sales tax. That is not just from Amazon, but Ebay, Shein, lots of other online vendors.
Exactly, if I buy something from wherever and have it shipped to the vimenpaq address in Florida and they charge sales tax I request a refund because that address has tax free status.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hope BM Cargo gets that deal. If the eBay/third party seller or the Amazon shipping center is located in Florida, I'm paying the sales tax.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Can't wait for EPS to catch up on that, as I have been paying this Florida tax for years, and it's been more then 25 years since I set foot in Florida!

Jan 9, 2004
In order to be exempt from paying Florida sales taxes, freight forwarders must have a Certificate of freight forwarding issued by the state.

They get this certificate upon application and by getting a special zip code given to them by the post office establishing that they receive a large volume of mail.

The ultimate question is whether eBay or other online sellers can and will program their invoices to recognize the zip code as tax exempt. Otherwise, purchasers will need to request a refund…….and that can be more trouble than it is worth in many cases.

Note that export exemptions to taxes are not unique to Florida……..but the hoops to get the exemption are sometimes a barrier.

Using an example of which I am familiar, cars are exempt from state sales tax if purchased for export, but other goods may require an abatement/rebate form be submitted to the various state taxing authorities.

Florida has become unique in allowing freight forwarders with a certificate of freight forwarding to avoid those taxes without a request to the state. But the issue until resolved, is the requirement of third party seller sites to collect Florida sales tax. No seller wants the tax man to come knocking at their door because they failed to collect and remit those taxes. Hopefully for those living abroad, the issue involving third party sellers gets full resolution.

There are currently dozens of freight forwarders that have that certificate…….and they are required to periodically undergo an audit to make sure the goods shipped to them are actually exported. And that is likely a major reason why some third party sellers are hesitant to not collect the tax. A rogue freight forwarder could cause them to be implicated in a scheme to avoid those taxes and make them liable to then pay the tax they never collected in the first place.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2