The price of Corona

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Closed businesses and empty hotels carry a price tag for the hacienda. Economy knows no magic and people will have to pay the price. How?
Hopefully, USA/Venezuelan options (printing money) will probably not be accepted here.
Tax hike in a country where most people don't pay direct taxes is not an option either.

What remains is indirect taxation. There is some room here:
1. Raise the price of electricity to the level, where it would make economic sense for every family to put the panels on the roof.
2. Apply estadia - a fee per each day of stay after the first month to long term foreign residents.
3. Legalize marihuana - simply by applying all rules of tobacco regulation and taxation.

The measures are not pleasant. Do you know pleasant ones?

Sep 22, 2009
Closed businesses and empty hotels carry a price tag for the hacienda. Economy knows no magic and people will have to pay the price. How?
Hopefully, USA/Venezuelan options (printing money) will probably not be accepted here.
Tax hike in a country where most people don't pay direct taxes is not an option either.

1. Raise the price of electricity to the level, where it would make economic sense for every family to put the panels on the roof.
2. Apply estadia - a fee per each day of stay after the first month to long term foreign residents.
3. Legalize marihuana - simply by applying all rules of tobacco regulation and taxation.

1 and 3 are silliness. Come on

There is enough cash (clean and dirty) in the banks and on the streets still to get through this. They are not desperate for the gringos, so raising all kinds of price schedules around them is a good option.

Aug 6, 2006
The national sales tax tax is based on the retail price and the retail prices have been rising, so the govt. will get a small boost from this.
Pot is certainly tolerated in tourist areas, There were rolling papers and bongs on sale in several stores in Juan Dolio a couple of years ago. Legalizetion might benefit tourism. I don't think it would have a positive effect on motoconcho service. A ride downtown in Barahona averages three or four near misses every trip.

Cortez

Mar 26, 2019

...Number 3# that's a good one..already being controlled and taxed....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A,B,C...
Its easy as 1,2,3
All in favor of the green new
dominican deal say "i"...
Is that crickets i hear again?
(not my turn to feed them either)
It appears the "neys" have it.
Horrible ideas LMFAO. Where on earth
do these people come from?

Reactions: Caonabo

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
...Number 3# that's a good one..already being controlled and taxed....

I meant taxed by the DGII.
You may like it or not, you may also postpone the pain a bit, but the bill is under way. To all of us.
Well, probably not all. Nobody has the guts to touch the oligarchs. DR has its Warren Buffets too.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I meant taxed by the DGII.
You may like it or not, you may also postpone the pain a bit, but the bill is under way. To all of us.
Well, probably not all. Nobody has the guts to touch the oligarchs. DR has its Warren Buffets too.
The bill is under way?
Please break down the cost so I know what
my share is. Bill as in making pot legal in the
DR? Not in your life time.
I don't smoke (anything) marihuana, lol
but I do know how marijuana is spelled.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
125 pesos for a 12 ounce bottle in the colmado closet to me. After all, it is an imported beverage.

• Haha
Reactions: Rokir