This is the future of parts of the DR regarding the attitude of locals towards expats?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Not so happy locals in neighboring Puerto Rico are beginning to voice a negative opinion towards wealthier non-Puerto Ricans moving in. Many are feeling they are being displaced from their own island by non-Puerto Ricans as prices for everything goes up, except wages aren't rising as fast.

The DR isn't there yet, but is this what is in store for certain parts of the DR?

Even rich Americans are no longer looked at with nice eyes by some locals.

In Puerto Rico it could be more dramatic due to the size of the island and native population, and practically all of it is developed or at least getting necessities for a modern lifestyle isn't very hard. But though bigger in island and native population, plus more undeveloped; parts of the DR could mirror Puerto Rico in the not so far future.

Are videos like these about Dominicans towards expats will be created in the not far future? Any expats noticing a slight change in opinions and/or treatment?

Last edited:
Reactions: It wasn't me

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have seen the commercial where a Puerto Rican woman talks about the rich stealing her island.
Gentrification happens. Puerto Ricans once invaded my city to collect welfare. I remember people
telling them to go back to their country while not realizing they were US citizens.

As far as the DR? No, I have not seen that on the north coast were we are still looked at as walking ATMs.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I have seen the commercial where a Puerto Rican woman talks about the rich stealing her island.
Gentrification happens. Puerto Ricans once invaded my city to collect welfare. I remember people
telling them to go back to their country while not realizing they were US citizens.

As far as the DR? No, I have not seen that on the north coast were we are still looked at as walking ATMs.
The first video those folks are renters. Thats the risk when renting.

I doubt Dominicans would see it that way. None, if not very very few are going into middle and lower class barrios here snatching up apartment buildings. If the Marriott grabs a chunk of land for a big project, I'm fairly certain 95% of the residents are on board.

PRs may have a different attitude as they are more closely tied to the US.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
After watching the video, I see the motivation for the gentrification is a huge tax break for capital gains (zero taxes in PR).
Nothing like that exists for me because I live in the DR. The DR and PR are Apples and Oranges on this situation.

Schmuck Schumer does not like that tax break, as shown in the video, and perhaps one day it will go away and all of PR's problems
will fade away.. LOL

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Puerto Rico is a welfare state. That said, all of the Puerto Ricans with money or the means have already left the island. Orlando took in around 300k after the last hurricane. Their population continues to dwindle as crime along with residential and commercial blight increase across the island. Investment is so badly needed on that island they should be bending over backwards for anyone willing to throw a few dollars at that money pit. Corruption is just as bad there as it is here.

The average Dominican is very welcoming to most foreigners. I've never seen nor heard anyone complaining about being priced out of the market.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just watched the first video and it left me a bit confused since I don't have their perspective.

The people of PR seem to think of themselves as having a separate country when in fact that are living in a US territory called the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans are all US citizens. Yet they call people from the US mainland "gringos". Then I thought of a Hawaiian state born person that lives in the DR and he felt in a similar manner that those from off his islands of Hawaii were invader/colonists and were not especially welcome. Oh well. Money talks, and the US dollar is the money in PR and HI.

I personally don't like PR much and the problem of hurricanes there is just one issue. CristoRey nailed the "welfare state" aspect as another reason. As I mentioned many Puerto Ricans moved to my hometown in the welfare state of New York to take advantage of the "free cheese". And garbage everywhere.

This is absolutely nothing at all like the DR in comparison.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
As I mentioned many Puerto Ricans moved to my hometown in the welfare state of New York to take advantage of the "free cheese". And garbage everywhere.
Well, as a long time Bronx resident I'll tell you it ain't just the PRs. The section8 and Medicaid scamming, along with deliquency and "untidy" living quarters is not just a PR thing. But maybe you knew and we're just commenting relative to the video. I don't want to see the PRs get thrown under the bus just because I live in DR

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Well, as a long time Bronx resident I'll tell you it ain't just the PRs. The section8 and Medicaid scamming, along with deliquency and "untidy" living quarters is not just a PR thing. But maybe you knew and we're just commenting relative to the video. I don't want to see the PRs get thrown under the bus just because I live in DR
How many other people (poor) do you know who are on their 4th Generation of Welfare ? How much Bad Luck can one family possibly have .
u dont need more evidence than that about PR .

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
The DR and PR are Apples and Oranges on this situation.
There it is !

The slang “ Don't hate the player, hate the game “ comes to mind . Unlike Dominicans….Puerto Ricans have benefited ….and will continue to benefit…. from being part of the USA ….So , calling the people that are working within the system that you are part of “colonizers” just sounds ridiculous.

Our Dominican neighbor said that he will gladly sell his land …and or his whole village …in DR…😬…if he could …and if it meant that he could live and work in the USA…but that’s another story .​

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A little secret: the PRs aren't the only ones that do it. Shhhh....
When I lived in upstate NY, those from PR were the primary ones that did it back then. Can't speak for today about where I haven't lived, thankfully, in over 30 years. The area is now in horrible condition and I don't even like visiting there. They could film night of the living dead in the old Coleco factory area without bringing in set designers. Houses with busted out windows and collapsing roofs that the city will pay you to buy. Property taxes are "stupid high". Schools suck where they were once quite good.

I am well aware people from this island, the DR, are also excellent at milking the system once they make it to Neuva York. I do have first hand experience at witnessing that.
There it is !

The slang “ Don't hate the player, hate the game “ comes to mind . Unlike Dominicans….Puerto Ricans have benefited ….and will continue to benefit…. from being part of the USA ….So , calling the people that are working within the system that you are part of “colonizers” just sounds ridiculous.

Our Dominican neighbor said that he will gladly sell his land …and or his whole village …in DR…😬…if he could …and if it meant that he could live and work in the USA…but that’s another story .​
I could not agree more with the statement I highlighted in red above,

Reactions: Big