United Airlines Credit Card

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This may not apply to everybody.... I am a steadfast customer of United over JetBlue for my trips back/forth to the DR.

UAL offers a variety of cards thru Chase.... initial applications get a bagful of points.
The question really is... 'which card is best for me ?'

I have had the Explorer card for years....
I read on 'Points Guy' recently about why it was a good idea to switch to the 'Quest' card w/ UAL
Look it up and decide for yourself...

70,000 points for signing up - must spend $4,000 in first 3 months
2 free checked bags -for cardholder and 1 travel companion = 4 free bags
More points for purchases
Two 5,000 mile credits every year if you take a flight during the year
$125 credit on your account annually....... annual fee is $250...therefore reduces to $125 vs $98 for the Explorer card

Anyway... I did it....
Was approved instantly online.... card already shows on my account
Physical card to arrive in 3-5 business days

Have a look for yourself...........

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Check the requirements on those FREE BAGS, I have AA Aviator card and the free bag only applies to Domestic flights.

Flying into or out of domestic airports from a itinerary that is not totally domestic does not count on AA Aviator card.

Reactions: chico bill

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Free first and second checked bags — a savings of up to $320 per roundtrip

The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will receive their first and second standard checked bags free (up to $35 value for the first checked bag and up to $45 value for the second checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United Club Card.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The next (and highest) card option is $500+/yr….not worth it to me

Quest offers priority boarding too…another plus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Check the requirements on those FREE BAGS, I have AA Aviator card and the free bag only applies to Domestic flights.

Flying into or out of domestic airports from a itinerary that is not totally domestic does not count on AA Aviator card.
Too bad for you… wrong airline….AA has skinny seats too….worst in the industry

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
I've had the Quest card for two years. I would highly recommend it to anyone, who, like myself,
charges everything possible. I find the bank's exchange rate to be better than that offered by
cashing a US check.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

Gold status on American gets you a free bag anywhere in the world.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Gold status on American gets you a free bag anywhere in the world.
What does that have to do with getting free bags simply by having the card? Like it is easy to get Gold Status...................-

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
What does that have to do with getting free bags simply by having the card? Like it is easy to get Gold Status...................-
In my experience, using the AA card you get to gold status pretty easily. Especially now that they've completely reworked their points system and just award miles for dollars spent.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In my experience, using the AA card you get to gold status pretty easily. Especially now that they've completely reworked their points system and just award miles for dollars spent.
A real simple question for you. Which is easier to get? A CC or Gold Status on AA.?????

Jan 9, 2004
Since this has morphed a bit...........

My two favorite cards are Jetblue Plus $99 year 6x points on Jetblue flights, free checked bag, etc., etc. I use it a lot to/from the DR and elsewhere and have the points and flight status for further upgrades.

But the gold standard and another card I have is Chase Sapphire Preferred (see comparisons below);

https://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/best/

Everybody has different needs/wants.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, I have that card but to get airline points you need to book thru Chase
I use the Sapphire for most purchases except airfare.... that's where the United card comes in.

I have the Barclay's JetBlue card but , as I said, I have dropped JB in favor of United

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is true,,,, no physical cards,,,,must be saved ,,,,cards still accepted - no cash
============================

Save a form of payment to buy snacks and drinks​

To make your trip safer and more enjoyable, all inflight purchases on our flights must be completed with contactless payments instead of physical cards or cash. To buy snacks and drinks on board, you’ll need to save a form of payment before your flight. You can do this easily using the United app or using PayPal (only for registered PayPal users on select flights). If you’re a MileagePlus member, you can even redeem miles for inflight purchases.
Whether you are using the United app or PayPal, be sure to save or verify your United MileagePlus® Chase Card as your primary form of payment before traveling. When you pay with your card, you’ll receive 25% back on inflight purchases of food, beverages and Wi-Fi. To pay with miles, make sure your MileagePlus number is added to your reservation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
United Airlines screwed my twice in the past. I have a hard time dealing with them.
They may be better now than before.

I do understand I may have picked the wrong horse with American Airlines where all frequent flier miles are, but that United credit card probably won't help me since I don't travel nearly as much any more and their service is very limited to/from POP. Most trips are to the Southeast of the US, and I don't think United is of much help on that from POP.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

Free first and second checked bags — a savings of up to $320 per roundtrip

The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will receive their first and second standard checked bags free (up to $35 value for the first checked bag and up to $45 value for the second checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United Club Card.
you go willy boy tell him... I have the same with my jet blue card..... FREE FREE FREE

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
United Airlines screwed my twice in the past. I have a hard time dealing with them.
They may be better now than before.

I do understand I may have picked the wrong horse with American Airlines where all frequent flier miles are, but that United credit card probably won't help me since I don't travel nearly as much any more and their service is very limited to/from POP. Most trips are to the Southeast of the US, and I don't think United is of much help on that from POP.
try Jet blue works for me big time