Update on NY Consulate

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

NY: Consulado RD assures that it has strengthened its services​

Julio César Mateo

SANTO DOMINGO.- The vice consul in the city of New York, Julio César Mateo (Yulín), assured here that the administration of President Luis Abinader has invigorated the General Consulate of the Dominican Republic in New York and strengthened its services to the community.

He reported that daily between 200 and 300 people come to the consular headquarters located on the fourth floor of 1501 Broadway Avenue, in the iconic Times Square area, in Lower Manhattan.

He indicated that branches of the Ministry of the Interior and Police, National Directorate of Passports, National Institute of Transit and Land Transportation (Intrant), General Directorate of Customs, National Health Insurance (Senasa), Technical Office of Titling and Project operate at the consular headquarters. Happy Housing. Non-governmental offices belonging to the Central Electoral Board (JCE) and the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo (UASD) also operate.

He added that the Dominicans are going to carry out the most diverse procedures, most related to passports, route letters, birth certificates, driver's licenses, use of firearms in the DR, validation of school grades, legalization of documents, etc.

He highlighted the reduction applied at the initiative of President Abinader to payments for services. “For example, renewing a passport for six years we found it at 190 dollars and first we reduced it to 130 dollars and now it is at 125. Renewing the passport for ten years we found it at 295 dollars and now it is at 195. Obtain a power of attorney to Materializing any transaction cost $160 and now it is $100. And the so-called route cards, which are used by people with passport problems, used to cost $100 and now only $50.”

Mateo, who is also president of the Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) in New York, cited as a bright point the installation of satellite consular offices in upper Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens that allow Creoles to receive the same services without the need for go to the central office in Times Square.

“Many people believe that the Consulate is a simple piggy bank to collect money from the Dominican government and that is not the case. The Consulate is also a center of social assistance for the Dominican community, without taking into account political affiliations." To support this criterion, he noted: “support is offered to the elderly, to sports groups, to people who need to transport bodies to Santo Domingo and even to Dominicans who emigrated and want to return permanently to the country and do not have the resources to do so.” he explained.

He recalled that “when the current government took office, there were 57 people performing the functions of vice consul, several of them residing in Santo Domingo and receiving salaries in dollars. Now we are only five vice-consuls, which gives an idea of the change registered. And the employment mania in general is 220 people.”

One aspect to which he attached great importance is the promotion of Senasa insurance, which allows Dominican purchasers and residents in New York to receive medical assistance when they are in the Dominican Republic.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I went to the DR Consulate in Buenos Aires once for no reason other than I passed by. They will bend over backwards to help Dominicans there. The only difference between the DR one and the US Embassy here is in the US one when you bend over you might feel something...........

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I went to the DR Consulate in Buenos Aires once for no reason other than I passed by. They will bend over backwards to help Dominicans there. The only difference between the DR one and the US Embassy here is in the US one when you bend over you might feel something...........
I have traveled the world over and have never once needed the service of a U.S embassy...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have traveled the world over and have never once needed the service of a U.S embassy...
20 years ago when I killed the guy that attacked me the US Embassy sent someone to "help" me. My lawyer said get rid of him and I did. Worked out fine without their "help".............

Big

Apr 24, 2019
20 years ago when I killed the guy that attacked me the US Embassy sent someone to "help" me. My lawyer said get rid of him and I did. Worked out fine without their "help".............
Lol, well I never killed anyone, however I have employed counsel, not a criminal type.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
jajajjajjjja you think like me ... any chance to extort a dollar off a gringo they will try...

Reactions: SKY

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They are still in Times Square. A few years ago it was said they were moving. Supposedly, the Dominican government bought an entire building to house the Consulate, NY's JCE office (which is a couple of desks in a room next to the current Consulate, lol), etc and rent the rest of the office space.

I wonder what happened. :unsure: