Woman survives retainer wall collapse; begins to tell her story

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes, I forgot about that. I don't know how much deposit they're requiring now(?). It probably depends on how much treatment and surgery you're going to need.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
I'm not sure of the logistics of the 911, and I'm sure this person is just telling "how she felt", but this was pretty central in Santo Domingo and the rescue took long to arrive? Where are they based in?
There's a Hospital Central de las Fuerzas Armadas nearby, there are always some ambulances there and they could arrive in 10 minutes or less, if they wanted to. Every day I see them driving with sirens and lights on on av. Ortega y Gasset with crazy speed and maneuvers, and sometimes AMET is helping them to get thru the traffic.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
Anyone who expects first world service in a third world country is destined to be disappointed here.
Actually, the medical service in private clinics here in DR is better than in some first world countries, but first responders and emergency services is a different story. Normally you don't wait for an ambulance here, you get into any car you can find (even in a cargo box of the pickup truck) and go to the emergency room in a nearest hospital.

Reactions: malko

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
Yes, I forgot about that. I don't know how much deposit they're requiring now(?). It probably depends on how much treatment and surgery you're going to need.
It probably depends more on how you look like. No hospital will reject a white foreigner or a white Dominican who looks rich. They may ask for some deposit, but they will do all treatment needed and then hold him/her as a hostage until he or somebody else pays all the bills.

But for an average looking Dominican the story may be different, since everybody knows that average Dominicans don't like to pay their bills. That's why private hospitals reject their own people (sometimes leaving them to die) in situations where they wouldn't reject a tourist/foreigner or a person who looks like he can pay. This is a good example of Dominican 'culture' turns against themselves.

A little off-topic, but my Dominican dentist doesn't have any Dominican patients at all, only foreigners. I ask him Why? The answer is 'Because Dominicans don't like to pay'.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Actually, the medical service in private clinics here in DR is better than in some first world countries, but first responders and emergency services is a different story. Normally you don't wait for an ambulance here, you get into any car you can find (even in a cargo box of the pickup truck) and go to the emergency room in a nearest hospital.
Yes, there are some exceptions. I had cataract surgery done here at a private clinic. Top notch service.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It probably depends more on how you look like. No hospital will reject a white foreigner or a white Dominican who looks rich. They may ask for some deposit, but they will do all treatment needed and then hold him/her as a hostage until he or somebody else pays all the bills.

But for an average looking Dominican the story may be different, since everybody knows that average Dominicans don't like to pay their bills. That's why private hospitals reject their own people (sometimes leaving them to die) in situations where they wouldn't reject a tourist/foreigner or a person who looks like he can pay. This is a good example of Dominican 'culture' turns against themselves.

A little off-topic, but my Dominican dentist doesn't have any Dominican patients at all, only foreigners. I ask him Why? The answer is 'Because Dominicans don't like to pay'.
A friend of mine from England was in a moto accident and was taken to Bournegal (private) in Pto. Plata. I don't remember how much deposit he had to pay, but they wouldn't release him until he paid his $11,000 USD bill.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
She isn't asking for money, she is asking people to help a woman who was made a widow because her husband died. A widow who has 4 kids to feed now.
I was scrolling to the end so I could make the same point that was missed by the original poster. She's helping a friend. Good point.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
She isn't asking for money, she is asking people to help a woman who was made a widow because her husband died. A widow who has 4 kids to feed now.
We all know that reporters in the DR lack what it takes to write up a reasonable and logical story. This report is written very poorly and confusing manner. Wilson Saint Anne the husband and now widower was not the one who perished, it was his wife Nancy Saint Anne who died. She is not listed on the official list of the dead in the incident. The story has holes in it probably because it was badly written. In the paper Diario Libre the report was updated four times as the reporter tried to get the story straight.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Another thing to consider is that 911 was probably flooded (pun intended) with calls. Who knows how long it took before one finally got through(?). And you can be sure it's not staffed as well as in the US or Canada. Also, at least here in Cabarete, when it rains, even normal rains, the cellphone service doesn't work well - at least not with Altice.
I fully agree with you on all things here. It's like with many/most things in the DR, lot's of fancy publicity/advertising, but very little if any real/trustworthy action behind the fancy words... Unfortunately...

Yes, I know too well what happens with cell phone signals with rain...

Reactions: cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
We all know that reporters in the DR lack what it takes to write up a reasonable and logical story. This report is written very poorly and confusing manner. Wilson Saint Anne the husband and now widower was not the one who perished, it was his wife Nancy Saint Anne who died. She is not listed on the official list of the dead in the incident. The story has holes in it probably because it was badly written. In the paper Diario Libre the report was updated four times as the reporter tried to get the story straight.
True. This is not DR-only issue however. In these days of "realtime" news feeds, media outlets hire anyone with a face to stand by the keyboard redacting the latest news to hit the press. It's a race to see who gets the updates out the fastest and it's super error prone.

RazorMike

Nov 15, 2023
Boca Chica
It is unfortunate that the hospitals in this country do not care if someone lives or dies all the care about is insurance or money. There is no such thing as the Hippocratic oath. Here it is all BS.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's Mike from Boca Chica. Hmmmmm

Behave yourself.

IMG_4620.jpeg