workmans compensation

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
a friend of mine experienced an accident while working at one of the eastern resorts. It appears she will need physical therapy for a considerable length of time. I mentioned that perhaps the employer was covered by workmans compensation and that an application for assistance should be submitted. Is there such a coverage for employees in the DR? This question may have been raised before but my search engine appears to be on the blink. Thanks for any information.

Jan 9, 2004
a friend of mine experienced an accident while working at one of the eastern resorts. It appears she will need physical therapy for a considerable length of time. I mentioned that perhaps the employer was covered by workmans compensation and that an application for assistance should be submitted. Is there such a coverage for employees in the DR? This question may have been raised before but my search engine appears to be on the blink. Thanks for any information.
I believe the ley covering this issue is 87-01. To my knowledge it is part of the social security system group of regulations.

Best wishes to your friend.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: banzai

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
keeping in mind that the question is regarding coverage/benefits in the Dominican Republic...tks all

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
To be legal, the company must be covered through TSS. All employees must be insured and paid proper benefits.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Even the basic Senasa insurance free for all Dominicans includes physical therapy.
If all else fails...

Reactions: banzai

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
A little more information...my friend is employed by the Gran Palladium, Punta Cana and receives wages of 8050 rdp every 15 days. She mentioned that this was minimum wage. Idopril is the insurance agency. Idopril is paying her medical bills and 5930 rdp every 15 days. Gran Palladium pays nothing. I'm not the expert but I'm figuring the amounts are probably within the law in the RD. By my figures, she is receiving around 75%. Of course, she is not happy about what I'm trying to tell her. Perhaps someone who has dealt with the system can provide more information that I can relay to her. Many tks to all that have responded.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
more to the story...my friend advises that she has just been told by the insurance doctor that they have concluded the injury she has was not sustained accidently while at work. Further, the insurance payment that she had been receiving has been terminated. I'm sure that she has records of when/where she obtained medical treatment for the injury and the fact that she has been undergoing therapy (insurance paid) since the accident. All that said, and with limited funds how does she go about fighting the beast?

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
She had appointments with Idopril doctors today, both of them signed documents releasing her from further claims. I told her, no matter how much it hurts, to go back to work at the resort. If she can't manage the work then let the resort terminate her vice just sitting at home and be terminated for not showing up to work.
As to Windeguy's suggestion, yes, provided you are not employed she could revert to Senasa insurance. Keyword, EMPLOYED which I guess, she technically still is.
Perhaps Mr. Guzman can shed some light whether I gave her good advice about returning to work and, how to proceed. The gal is not a freeloader, just trying to make a living and support her family.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
Today, my friend had an appointment with her "family" doctor. She first went to him when the accident happened. He advised her not to go back to work as the injury has not healed. He gave her 21 additional days of medical leave. All well and good but...these additional days will be without pay as Idopril has removed her from their compensation payout.
Mr. Guzman, I need some direction.