
National Police spokesman Colonel Frank Durán said in a press conference that there are around 12,000 police officers ready to be promoted but there are insufficient vacancies for all of them. He said that there were 4,000 vacancies originally, but thanks to efforts by director Ney Aldrin Bautista, that could increase to almost 7,000.
On Tuesday, 26 March 2019, dozens of police officers went to the Police headquarters to complain that they had not been promoted, according to the promotion list published last Friday, 22 March. This was an extraordinary occurrence because police agents have not been known to confront their authorities in a collective way in the past.
Duran said that he understood their concern, but that they had to understand that nothing could be done about the situation, pointing out that he himself had been a colonel for 16 years.
Recently, 53-year old second lieutenant Bernardo Alberto Paredes, who had seven years in the rank, committed suicide and his family attributed this to his frustrations at not being included in the recent wage raises.
Read more in Spanish:
Listin Diario
Diario Libre
Diario Libre
27 March 2019