2019News

Gonzalo Castillo to run for President

Gonzalo Castillo / Diario Libre

Public Works Minister Gonzalo Castillo announced he would resign the position effective 5 August 2019. Castillo said he would then dedicate himself full time to campaign for the Dominican Liberation Party (PLD) presidential candidacy.

Castillo had been a strong advocate of President Danilo Medina seeking a third term in 2020. After Medina declined to seek a second reelection, Castillo now announcing his aspirations to be the candidate of the ruling party. He launched his campaign at the Blue Mall on Wednesday, 31 July 2019. He said he would work to be a great President.

He said he is convinced that he will win the PLD’s primary in October 2019 and that, later, that political organization would defeat its opponents in the 2020 general elections, scheduled for the month of May 2020.

Earlier, the executive vice president of the Public Electricity Corporation, Rubén Jiménez Bichara had announced he would be Castillo’s campaign manager.

Political analyst, Altagracia Salazar speculates that Castillo is President Danilo Medina’s chosen candidate.

Read more in Spanish:
Listin Diario
Hoy
Diario Libre
YouTube

1 August 2019