2026News

US shuts down its drug control office in Santo Domingo in visa fraud probe

The United States’ Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has closed its office at the US Embassy until further notice. The story made international media headlines.

While the physical office is shut down, bilateral anti-drug cooperation remains active. The US Embassy explicitly has stated that the fight against narco-terrorism will continue at the same “robust pace” through other channels (such as the Miami and Puerto Rico field offices) while the internal investigation is conducted.

To corroborating the continuing drug trafficking operations of DEA agents in the DR, the National Drug Control Agency reported that in the early hours of Sunday, 15 February 2026 the largest narcotics seizure in the history of the Dominican Republic’s fight against organized crime was carried out in the waters south of Baní, carried out in close tactical coordination with United States authorities. The cargo described as to exceed two tons was discovered aboard a high-speed “go-fast” boat. Investigations indicate the vessel originated from the La Guajira region of Colombia, a known transit point for international smuggling.

As reported, the closure of the DEA office in Santo Domingo on 12 February 2026 was a direct response to a corruption scandal involving Melitón Cordero, a Supervisory Special Agent who had been at the US Embassy for six years. On February 12, 2026, Ambassador Leah F. Campos announced the immediate shuttering of the office, stating she would not tolerate “even the perception of corruption.” Melitón Cordero was arrested on February 12 and charged the following day with conspiracy to commit bribery and visa fraud.

Prosecutors allege Cordero accepted thousands of dollars to expedite at least 119 visa applications (part of a program for confidential informants), coaching applicants to help them bypass standard consular interviews.

The “temporary suspension” does not mean a cessation of joint operations. Instead, it involves the provisional removal of agents under investigation. The DEA has not indicating who else outside of Cordero is under investigation. As reported, the DEA has reallocated personnel to ensure that regional monitoring and interdiction efforts continue despite the local office’s closure.

This case is being investigated by Homeland Security Investigations – Newark Field Office and Homeland Security Investigations – Santo Domingo, the Department of State’s Diplomatic Security Service, the Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General, and the Drug Enforcement Administration. It is being prosecuted by the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia.

Meliton Cordero, a Supervisory Special Agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration, was arrested in Washington D.C. and charged in connection with his role in a bribery and U.S. visa fraud scheme, announced US Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro.

Cordero, 47, has been assigned for six years to the US Embassy in the Dominican Republic. He is charged with conspiracy to commit bribery and visa fraud. According to the charging documents, Cordero allegedly accepted thousands of dollars in exchange for assisting foreign nationals with securing a nonimmigrant visa which would allow them to visit the US for a temporary period.

Cordero had been decorated by President Luis Abinader in September 2024 with the Order of Duarte, Sanchez and Mella in the rank of knight (Decree 520-24).

New United States ambassador Leah Campos told reporters that “corruption has no place in the United States government, nor in any other place.” DEA administrator Terrance Cole, told reporters that his agency is cooperating with Dominican entities, but that there would be no further commentaries, since this was an on-going situation.

As reported by AP, every year, the DEA, FBI and other US federal law enforcement agencies sponsor the entry to the United States of hundreds of foreign nationals who might otherwise be considered inadmissible due to their association with criminal activity. Over time, many of the individuals, who are expected to assist investigators, become eligible for permanent residency.

A 2019 report by a Justice Department watchdog identified several lapses in the visa program, finding that law enforcement had lost track of as many as 1,000 sponsored individuals, posing risks to public safety or national security because of the individuals’ involvement with criminal activity.

On 13 February 2026, DEA administrator Terry Cole issued the statement:
“DEA holds its personnel to the highest standards of integrity and accountability. Any allegation of misconduct or corruption is treated with the utmost seriousness, and we act swiftly to assess the facts and ensure accountability wherever warranted. There is no tolerance within this agency for conduct that tarnishes the badge or erodes the trust placed in us by the American people and our international partners.

While we will not comment on the specific allegations made public, I have personally spoken with the Ambassador and will work with her to address all points we discussed. DEA is fully cooperating with the appropriate authorities, and personnel assigned to the Dominican Republic are actively being repositioned while this matter is reviewed to protect the integrity of our operations.

The alleged actions do not reflect the thousands of DEA professionals who serve honorably every day dismantling transnational criminal organizations and protecting communities at home and abroad. We remain steadfast in our commitment to professionalism, transparency, and the rule of law.”

Read more:
US Department of Justice
DEA
Listin Diario
Listin Diario
Listin Diario
Hoy
CNN
WBAP
Diario Libre
Diario Libre

16 February 2026