
On Tuesday 26 March, a National District court held the preliminary hearing for Gabriel Villanueva, accused of the death of the young Rumanian woman, Andreea
Villanueva’s lawyer, Plutarco Jacquez, said that the prosecution had not wanted to show the security camera evidence from the hotel where the incident took place, because if they did they would not be able to convict the accused and would have to release him for lack of evidence and witnesses.
He also complained that the prosecution had concealed the list of phone calls and text messages, which show that the accused was not pursuing the victim, but the reverse as when the event happened, the victim had called the accused more than eight times.
Jacquez then accused the victim’s sister, whom he said wanted to blackmail and extort the defense and that she had sent requests to the lawyers asking for RD$100,000 million.
The hearing was postponed for 2 April 2019 as requested by Villanueva’s lawyer, Sonia Marlenis Guerrero, to give her time to study the accusations presented by the defense of 21-year-old Andreea Celea, who died on 1 September last year after falling from the window of a hotel located in Bella Vista in Santo Domingo.
The lawyer concluded in the presentation that this was a suicide and not a homicide.
Read more in Spanish:
Hoy
27 March 2019