The PRD held its convention to elect the candidates that would run for municipal and congressional positions, but the results have not yet been made known. The convention was held in an organized manner and there was a large turnout of a possible 350,000 voters. The party had said results would be announced Sunday at 8 pm, which did not occur. Party spokesman Tirso Mejia Ricart told the press that at 12 midnight, only 2% of the votes in the National District had come in, showing that the results would be very tight, and thus the party reserved announcing preliminary figures. Of 890 voting stations, only 21 had reported results. In Santo Domingo, Miguel Vargas, Eligio Jáquez and Luís Mariñez are running for the right to represent the PRD in the May 1998 municipal election. Each of the candidates has the support of a faction within the party. The convention had been suspended on five occasions due to "technical differences," an indication that one or another candidate was attempting to create irregular conditions that would favor his candidacy in the election.