Latest Developments In Sosua

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Sosua and Cabarete cater to each other, imagine Sosua without Cabarete being close or Cabarete without Sosua nearby...How boring!!!

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
Sosua and Cabarete cater to each other, imagine Sosua without Cabarete being close or Cabarete without Sosua nearby...How boring!!!

This! Sosua and Cabarete complement each other well. Too much complaining here about how things
were in the "good old days."

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
caberete by day and sosua by night i think is the best formula. or does the opposite work too ?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
anyone know about the policeman that got shot last night in Playa Chiquita? From only one mouth so I have no REAL information.

BUT the security gaurd at the complex near us was showing a new guy about rapid fire with a pump shotgun. Over and over while pulling the trigger while I passed bringing horses home. Done and going in to eat.....

BANG!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This! Sosua and Cabarete complement each other well. Too much complaining here about how things
were in the "good old days."
I don't disagree.

But there is a difference in what people consider "the good old days."

There are those who remember Sosua from simpler times from many years ago and moved there for that setting. Others come recently and moved because of what it is today.

They can have a substantial difference of opinion on what both "good" and "old" mean...

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
agree.the good ol days are gone, they are never coming back. focus on the future....

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Better

I don't like the new demographic of tourists that visit Sosua these days either.

So I've taken my money somewhere else. For me, the Phils is a better fit.

Demographics are better since you don't visit!

(Quote Re- Fried Beans)
"And as far as being a monger, I am still fairly young and single, so when the opportunity presents itself........"

However a wee bit on the overweight side, as I recall........ not that there is anything wrong with it.:(

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Demographics are better since you don't visit!

(Quote Re- Fried Beans)
"And as far as being a monger, I am still fairly young and single, so when the opportunity presents itself........"

However a wee bit on the overweight side, as I recall........ not that there is anything wrong with it.:(

Typical of some of the petty people in this forum, they don't agree with another's viewpoint so they fabricate personal insults....

May 29, 2006
Just what exactly were the "good, old days"?

When I first came to Sosua in 1993, it was a sleepy little beach town and Los Charimicos was bigger than El Batey. There were MAYBE 20 beach bars total that were all open at night either lit by candle or with a string of Christmas tree lights coming from the Los Charimicos side and the beach was open at night. There was a wall leading from the beach up to El Batey that was covered with Haitian print paintings. The number of hotels was about the same on either side of the beach. A really great restaurant was the Atlantico on the Charimicos side which had seafood and overlooked Playa Sosua.

Probably less than half of the buildings in El Batey had been built yet. No pavement aside from the highway and the roads were crushed coral. When I was there, probably 80% of the tourists were Canadian with the rest being Italian and German. I think at most, you'd see a couple hundred tourists on the beach, and that was in February. There might have been a couple of tourist shops, but they sure didn't hassle you or stand in front of you while you tried to walk in front of their shops.

It was hard to get by if you didn't speak any Spanish(or maybe German). The only bar of any size in the Batey side was Eddie's Sports Bar, which I think was the only place in town that had Satellite TV. If you go down Ayuntimiento, you can prob still see the giant dishes. Anything past Europa was open cane fields from what I remember. There were prob discos, but they were nowhere near downtown on Pedro Clisante and I never came across them.

I'm not sure, but I think back then Ayuntimiento was more of the center of town back then.

The peso was maybe 13:1 for an American dollar? A half peso was about the size of a quarter and worth maybe 10 pesos in today's buying power. You could trade dollars for pesos, but going from pesos to dollars was a lot harder.

The other thing that sticks out is how dark it was at night. No lit street signs or street lights. Just barely enough light to get around and it was brighter on moonlit nights. You noticed the stars and moon even when you were downtown. Of course there were A LOT more black outs back then and hardly any back up generators. I remember a lot of candles..

Eddy would certainly be a better authority on this than I am since he was living there back then and I was there for only about a week. Most bars were owned by Dominicans back then and there were only a handful of ex-pat entrepreneurs.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Just what exactly were the "good, old days"?

the good ol days to me was when the chicas around the nightclubs were better looking. you would find girls from santo domingo to santiago coming to sosua for a night out on the town and not necessarily for the sex trade. sosua was a party town for everyone. it was difficult to just come to sosua and get a hotel room without a reservation.
the sudden influx of haitain girls after the earthquake changed the terrain of the PC as well as other factors. back then you could get a "10". now a 10 is really an overpriced "5".

May 29, 2006
I remember the OXY2 club was good(around 2000?). The tourists were younger(and not just guys) and there were some DJs playing Euro synth/house music. I heard "Sandstorm" in the DR long before hearing it in the US. Not my favorite music, but it beats the hell out of Reggaeton and pretty tolerable once you're drunk enough.

Sandstorm - YouTube