Why I keep coming back...

agw

Feb 14, 2010
DSCF1710_zpsc14d431f.jpg

Our exploring was done in this car and a series of others just like it. Sirions and Picantos. The size of the car and my boyfriends driving skills saved our a$$es on more than one occasion when a larger vehicle would have been forced off the road.

DSCF1471_zps231eb9dd.jpg

DSCF1470_zps3b3dfb37.jpg

Two sculptures in the church in La Isabella.

DSCF1916_zps39335538.jpg

DSCF1917_zpsda8e982e.jpg

DSCF1875_zpseb8833ce.jpg

I found these walls beautiful for both esthetic reasons and for the skill of the builders.

DSCF1915_zpse13ad9ec.jpg

And the gates on these homes located between La Isabella and Luperon are real works of art. The one below is a particular favourite.

DSCF1867_zps0d1ae7be.jpg

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Wonderful post! Please continue. You are the type of tourists the DR needs.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
Beautiful picture!! We are about to set off on our adventure..arriving Jan 29th for a couple months. Looks like you are seeing the country the way we see it...beautiful in many ways. Have you encountered any problems travelling? Do you speak much Spanish?
Mine is minimal but I hope to change this ..looking forward to Carnival! and seeing Samana..El Limon and Las Terrenas have been a dream of mine!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Next time rent a Yipeta, i wouldn't drive a car like this in DR to many crazy drivers down there.

JJ

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Katiejay, We really haven't had too many issues since my boyfriend speaks quite good Spanish - as well as fluent Italian and English and he can get by in French. Also he is a very experienced traveler who is over 6' tall, pretty fit, looks Latino and acts like he belongs where he is. My Spanish is not great, but I can ask very basic things and understand more than I can speak.

Have a great time, Samana is lovely.

Last edited:

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I should also add that we wear cheap watches, no 'good' jewelry, don't flash money, wear ordinary (not expensive name brand) clothing, don't drive after dark, drive a cheap car and don't leave anything visible (laptop etc.) ever that might temp someone. And we treat everyone we meet with respect, but don't try to be buddy buddy right off the bat.

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Thanks to everyone for the 'likes' and the kind comments! It's very encouraging to know you enjoyed our photos.

I arrive tomorrow afternoon and have been promised there will be a Presidente in the cooler in the car at the airport and Brugal and fresh jugo de naranja in the fridge at the house!

I don't know how much I may be able to upload with the internet access my boyfriend says we have currently, but I'm hopeful that when we change our accommodations that will improve. If not, I'll post some new photos of our adventures when I return in home in March.

Ma?ana!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks to everyone for the 'likes' and the kind comments! It's very encouraging to know you enjoyed our photos.

I arrive tomorrow afternoon and have been promised there will be a Presidente in the cooler in the car at the airport and Brugal and fresh jugo de naranja in the fridge at the house!

I don't know how much I may be able to upload with the internet access my boyfriend says we have currently, but I'm hopeful that when we change our accommodations that will improve. If not, I'll post some new photos of our adventures when I return in home in March.

Ma?ana!

Have yourselves a good time! We look forward to more photos!:)

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I'm Baaaaaack! Today was lovey, and started with the most awesome Cafe Negro con Azucar and went uphill from there!

What can I say except it's so good to be here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are a true "Dominicano", "Cafe Negro con Azucar"????????
That is too much, even for me.
Gotta have some "Con Leche" to make my day!
Tell me you can't wait for a big bowl of "Mondongo" with "Arroz con Coco"!
And a "Grande" con "Vestido de Novia".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nice photos. but i still do not understand. why come here time and again? have you got no curiosity left? don't you want to see other places? south america? africa? asia?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
nice photos. but i still do not understand. why come here time and again? have you got no curiosity left? don't you want to see other places? south america? africa? asia?

Hey - don't put her off! There is so much to see in this beautiful country and it's good to hear from someone who continues to love exploring it! :D