Why I keep coming back...

usa2dr

Apr 14, 2013
thanks for sharing these pictures really loved the cows on the road pic, and great job on the tip you gave that boy you helped his dad teach him a lesson on making an honest living.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Loved looking at your beautiful pics.........my favorite has to be the little girl sitting in front of her house with the broom beside her. A picture is worth a thousand words, and you have certainly captured that. Look forward to seeing my photos from you in the future.

MRS YS

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Larry's Mom's house...

DSCF1710_zpsc14d431f.jpg

Our exploring was done in this car and a series of others just like it. Sirions and Picantos. The size of the car and my boyfriends driving skills saved our a$$es on more than one occasion when a larger vehicle would have been forced off the road.

DSCF1471_zps231eb9dd.jpg

DSCF1470_zps3b3dfb37.jpg

Two sculptures in the church in La Isabella.

DSCF1916_zps39335538.jpg

DSCF1917_zpsda8e982e.jpg

DSCF1875_zpseb8833ce.jpg

I found these walls beautiful for both esthetic reasons and for the skill of the builders.

DSCF1915_zpse13ad9ec.jpg

And the gates on these homes located between La Isabella and Luperon are real works of art. The one below is a particular favourite.

DSCF1867_zps0d1ae7be.jpg
The Pic's of the rock wall's and gates are by Larry Haggerty's Mom's house.. Built by a Belgian Gentleman who owns the property next to it.. Nice place...

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I'm Back!

Just arrived yesterday. What an easy enjoyable experience to land at La Romana airport! I was out of there so fast it was amazing!

Anyway, I wanted a few things from the larger stores in Higuey so we took advantage of the overcast weather and drove there this morning. On the way back we saw lots of teams of men and oxen harvesting the sugar cane.

We then took a little detour and drove to Boca de Yuma. I would really appreciate the name of the restaurant that has the best fish if anyone can tell me. We saw quite a few and I have no idea which one (restaurant I mean) to choose. It was too early to see where the day tours were parked and eating.

I've lots of places I want to go to this time including a real visit to Boca de Yuma - fish lunch included! So hopefully more photos.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you for this enjoyable photo spread. I especially like the side long glance of the chicken on beach. and the cows under the palms by the beach. I gotta get out of SD and see this island more.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
nice photos. but i still do not understand. why come here time and again? have you got no curiosity left? don't you want to see other places? south america? africa? asia?

Some people actually love the DR

enjoyable thread. We've been coming for 8 years but love how relaxed we are when we get to Costambar, that we hardly leave! did some more exploring last month and will be back at the end of this month, but I can only come for a week at a time. I LOVE this country!! <3

Mar 1, 2009
muchas gracias, I think I did the inverse. I visited Montreal for 5 years straight, I would stay ranging from a week to a month each time. Love that city, but so F@%ENG cold.

No real beaches or palm tree's either, tabernac :(

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
love the photos...love driving around the d.r....will be back for another trip Tuesday 11th feb...for a month.....wont miss ny and all the snow this winter

agw

Feb 14, 2010
nice photos. but i still do not understand. why come here time and again? have you got no curiosity left? don't you want to see other places? south america? africa? asia?

I traveled a little bit when I was young, but then children, work, and being a single parent for a while meant I had no money to travel. The Dominican Republic is affordable and relatively easy to get to. I can get here with no overnights and not waste the time I am able to get off work just getting somewhere. Asia, South America and Australia are on my list, but just the airfare alone puts them beyond the budget I currently have. I have no interest whatsoever in going to Africa. Or Deserts. Or anyplace during winter if it has cold and snow.

In the past couple of years I've traveled to Scotland and Ireland to visit one of my daughters. I am saving up to return to Europe again this summer, hopefully to Spain and Italy where my boyfriend has family and friends. I love the ocean and being near it makes me happy. Even if it's the cold North Sea.

So yes, I do want to see other places. But for me, during the winter in my part of Canada, this is it. I'm learning Spanish, traveling the country into little out of the way places and seeing scenery that is new and exciting to me, making some local acquaintances, trying local foods, swimming in the ocean, getting a tan and not freezing my a$$ off shoveling mountains of snow in temperatures that freeze exposed skin in only a couple of minutes and make it hurt just to breathe in.

Sep 4, 2012

And of course the glass if half way empty for some.......what agreat thread AGW, keep posting away and come back as many times as you feel like it!!!