Is there hope for Cabarete? (Investing in Property)

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
See people........this is what I'm talking about:

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service

According to the daily news here on DR1, Osiris de Leon, a geologist, says that the DR is on the brink of a water crisis. You guys can click the news to read the report yourself, but I will copy/paste it here:

"Geologist and engineer Osiris de Leon, the head water researcher at the Inter-American Network of Academies of Science, said yesterday, Monday 11 March that the Dominican Republic is on the brink of a water crisis. He based his statements on the fact that the DR is a small island with a rapidly growing urban population that is increasing the demand for drinking water. However, the flow of surface water in the rivers is being reduced by deforestation and the neglect of the watersheds and environmental pollution from industrial, farming and tourist activities that convert the rivers and streams into sewers.

In addition to these issues, De Leon pointed out that some 50% of the water that is taken into the water systems does not reach the final consumers due to all the leaks in the water pipes and that 20% of the water that does reach the consumers is wasted due to the lack of a culture that places an emphasis on saving water. He pressed for the urgent identification of all of the possible water sources, both surface and underground, because if not, within a few years there could be some unmanageable social situations due to a lack of drinking water. He noted the issues of water in Villa Altagracia, Pedro Brand and Los Alcarrizos due to the high levels of pollution in the Haina River."

So before you guys talk about "investing in the DR" if you were wise you'd carefully assess the situation. If the DR is nearing a water crisis this country may very well become an untenable place for expats. A lack of potable water is a serious problem......to say the least.

Ok DS, can I give you just a little advice? take it or dont, I dont really care , but stop living your life through books, they are all well and fine in their place, but dont take the word of the author as gospel. dont you think he has an ulterior motive? to sell his book and make money, point out murky points and stir up some sh*t? I think im a little older than you and let me tell you, life is for living, ive met and talked with people who I didnt know before and never met again, but they were interesting, or funny or informational, point is, people bring something to life, they are life, and having money in the bank is also good, but not if its all you have,it wont bring happiness checking your account every day. however it will bring happiness when you bar some poor kid who has nothing a candy bar or ice cream or give him 100 pesos. stop reading all the negativity about life and just live it, its too short
Now can we put tis silly thread to bed?
thank you and have a nice day, go out to a bar, have a drink,relax and just talk to people, some will be cool, some wont, again the beauty of life, you get to choose

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Dark Scorpion,

I'm not sure where to start here, but i'll start with some books you've mentioned.

1.) You mentioned George Friedman and some of his books. Here is what one astute reviewer had to say about Mr. Friedman's book, The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century:

"Everyone praises "America's Secret War" for Friedman's in-depth knowledge of both the U.S. military, and 25 years experience in studying Eurasia. However, it is a far leap to predict the next hundred years and expect to be taken seriously by applying strict geopolitical ideology to the world to the absence of any and all other significant factors and historical "twists of fate," as in a rogue nuclear weapon/s?

Either it is of no interest to him, or he has far less area of expertise in Asia itself, but to write off China in one small, vague, chapter is an enormous disservice, completely without any supporting data that by 2020 China will "destabilize." In 2008-9 the entire world banking system "destabilized" to the surprise of many, and yet China's did not, has not; and possesses the largest liquid assets on the planet, of which they have invested heavily in U.S. Treasury bonds. His lack of any mention of the New World's banking was an obvious oversight.

Additionally, his premise that, to summarize, Japan will again expand as it did prior to WWII and will again take over parts of Mainland China is laughable. China has the largest standing military in the world. No, they do not possess much of an navy, but it has more than enough aircraft to do the exact reverse, which is physically invade Japan to put an immediate stop to Japanese aggression. Boots on the ground are quite cheap, and China has lots and lots of boots. And the money to keep them there.

Does Friedman believe Nanking has forgotten? China is an excellent observer of other cultures' mistakes. When the Chinese government converted and moves into a capitalist driven economy, they did not have the problems and horrors Russia had, because they were astute observers.

China does not have a history of aggression toward other countries (if one excludes Tibet), but I live in China, and I have no fear now or in the future that Japan will ever be able to "convince" the Chinese of their need for Chinese materials and labor should be satisfied with a Japanese presence. Not in this century and not in the next.

And, finally, it is as if Africa and India have no import in the next 100 years. He does not even bother to mention them."
Kathryn O'Hehir

2.) You mentioned John Perkins books and three of his books which you have read. I have one right here in front of me that I read 3 years ago,
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man:

Here's what one astute reader had to say about this book:

"For all the hype, this book fails to make the reader want to turn the pages. I labored through the first half and had to put it down. According to his description, I am an economic hit man. In reality, I work with international financial institutions to help third world and lesser developed nations where they need the help most. There is politics involved. There are government snoops interfering, sometimes playing a big role. That's because governments are involved in these transactions. We're helping a nation, not a business or a school or a small community. When governments are involved, politics is involved. Wealthy, industrialized, civilized, educated, literate, GIVING/LENDING nations don't have lending terms dictated to them by often corrupt, fighting, under-developed, fractious, very poorly managed states. If no portion of these funds were returned to the established, able and capable businesses from the lending nations, the incentives to loan would be much diminished, and the help would be much less likely to be received. If 100% of the funds were circulated within the LDC or related LDCs, a much larger % of the funds would be wasted, stolen or mismanaged and the objectives/projects would fail for lack of expertise or ready means to deploy the funds successfully in the intended projects. If the funds go solely to feeding and housing and not changing the aspects of the recipient country's hobbled economy, then there will be no later and better capacity to self-manage or to repay the funds, and again, the funds would therefore not be made available. This Perkins bloke is full of himself and apparently very ignorant of basic economic facts. He is either naive or . . . I don't know what. But, he's nothing special and his book is even less so. LDC's have a long history of defaults because they are the kind of countries that don't already have institutions and methods and tools well established that allow for proper fiscal management. The size of the loans these days, and of recent defaults and bailouts, have not been determined by the World Bank or IMF nearly as much as the demands and burdensome needs and failures and violations of terms and blatant disregard of agreements from these failed or failing economies. If the remedies are harsh, it's because the problems are out of control. Perkins is selling a bill of goods and as a subject matter expert, I am not buying. Other buyers beware and be wary of these claims."
BT Holden

I'm curious as to what you think about these observations?

Thanks, Frank

I've read George Friedman's book on his forecast for the next 100 years, and I believe his analysis is pretty good. The future can in fact be predicted if you study the past. For instance, if a man has a habit of visiting a donut shop every Tuesday afternoon to buy donutes, you can reasonably predict he will likely do so in the future, on a Tuesday afternoon. To predict the future you must study the past, and George Friedman has a deep understanding of geography and how it influences human limitations.

Friedman's analysis of China is accurate. Everyone who thinks China is going to be the next big thing are ignorant of its geography and history. China's underlying geopolitics haven't changed. The country is divided between the rich eastern coast and the impoverished interior, and the eastern coast is susceptible to outside influence which threatens the central government. China has a massive population that it must keep employed or it faces instability. The employment of China's population is dependent on foreigners willing to buy its products. China is totally dependent on the Americans to buy their goods as they have no large domestic middle class. China also has a potential loan crisis as loans in China are made based on connections rather than credit worthiness. Long story short, China is not the imminent power it is cracked up to be. It certainly has influence in East Asia but its naval capabilities are limited. Japan, the United States, South Korea and other Asian nations can contain China and China knows it.

John Perkin's book is accurate. People can criticize but the evidence he shows in all his books is clear. I really don't want to debate this much because if you can't see that developed nations are exploiting the third world, and have been for centuries then you're just blind. This is essentially what Perkins is talking about. By the way, as of 2013, China would not be able to successfully invade Japan, and anyone who thinks China could pull it off is a moron. Even the United States didn't attempt an invasion of mainland Japan during WW2, and resorted to nukes. The Japanese navy is vastly superior to the Chinese navy and would cut them to shreds before China got anywhere near the Japanese mainland. China would have to resort to nukes to bring down Japan and that would invite a retaliatory response from the USA as the USA will not allow an ally as important as Japan to be hit by China without reprisal.

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Considering how little marketing Dominican tourism gets in the US, I think there is still plenty of room for growth on the north coast, esp for budget travelers. Spring Break is coming up in the U.S., and the DR is a HUGE value compared to staying in FL or Cancun~ yet there's hardly any marketing for it. Let's not forget that in most states in the US, the drinking age is still 21. I was looking at flights and you can still get from NYC to POP for under $500 RT for this weekend, taxes and fees incl. There are whole demographics that didn't exist ten years ago. Even ten years ago, the odds were good that if you met an American in Sosua or Cabarete, the odds were far greater that they were there for Peace Corps more than as a tourist.

I think the days of the DR being a tourist hot spot are numbered. The economic crisis in the USA has reduced the desire for travel, many Americans are going on what they call "staycations." Plus, people underestimate Cuba. From what I understand, the DR is already second in tourism to Puerto Rico, and I believe a revitalized Cuba would push the DR into third place. If Cuba got its act together it would bury the DR in the tourism department, Cuba is just far larger and closer to the USA and has more to offer overall, and the Cubans don't have to deal with a neighbor like Haiti.

Yesterday I spoke of the water crisis. This is an issue that should not be taken lightly. A country with a population of 10 million that is nearing a water crisis is a potential powder keg. And lets face it, Dominicans don't have the mind set to manage this problem themselves, they will need to rely on foreign corps(once again) for desalination and these corps will come in and exploit the sht out of them just like Barrick is doing, I'd almost bet money on it. This country is surrounded by water yet according to Osiris de Leon there is water crisis? Dominicans could handle this issue themselves if they were bright but as I said the lights are on but nobody is home with these people.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Stupid me thought the thread was about investing in Cabarete :rolleyes:

It is......but Frank raised a non-related question...and I decided to answer him. I just got back to the DR in my last post, chill out. Why do you people expect us to stay on topic for the entire thread? Don't you know it is inevitable that we will move off topic from time to time? Jesus.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Ok DS, can I give you just a little advice? take it or dont, I dont really care , but stop living your life through books, they are all well and fine in their place, but dont take the word of the author as gospel. dont you think he has an ulterior motive? to sell his book and make money, point out murky points and stir up some sh*t? I think im a little older than you and let me tell you, life is for living, ive met and talked with people who I didnt know before and never met again, but they were interesting, or funny or informational, point is, people bring something to life, they are life, and having money in the bank is also good, but not if its all you have,it wont bring happiness checking your account every day. however it will bring happiness when you bar some poor kid who has nothing a candy bar or ice cream or give him 100 pesos. stop reading all the negativity about life and just live it, its too short
Now can we put tis silly thread to bed?
thank you and have a nice day, go out to a bar, have a drink,relax and just talk to people, some will be cool, some wont, again the beauty of life, you get to choose

Nothing wrong with reading books. If more people in this country read as much as I do, this place would be a lot better off, you can be sure of that. I'm not being negative, just being a realist. Maybe if Dominicans read Machiavelli they wouldn't be allowing Barrick to steal gold right from under their noses, you know what I mean? You can learn a lot from reading, it really is fundamental.

Regarding giving children here pesos, I don't give them money, I don't give out freebies. If you want something in this world you need to work for it. You expats who come here and give these kids pesos are a part of the problem, not the solution. Instead of handing them 100 pesos, tell them to shine your shoes first. Teach them the importance of a work ethnic. I despise beggars, if I had a son who begged someone and I caught him I'd slap the taste out of his mouth. You don't beg anyone for anything, I will teach my son that a real man goes out and works for what he wants. Never ever beg. Its humiliating and demeaning, not to mention pathetic. Even if I were hungry and suffering and had little money I would never ask my mother for anything, I have too much honor and pride.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Regarding Haina and water. One of the worst places in the world to raise a kid. Lead in everything from the water to the dust. Used to be a place where they smelted old car batteries. Lead company left town after they made their money..

The water issue in the DR has cemented my decision regarding this country..............I've decided I'm not buying land here, a house, or condos to rent out. I cannot and will not invest in a country that has Haiti as a neighbor AND has a potential water crisis, its just too much. When you combine that with the government corruption here, and the overall mentality of the locals, you'd have to be one stupid or brave person to invest in this country. I've decided to alter my plans regarding the DR........to adjust to the reality.

Originally, my goal was to buy an ocean front villa here in the DR. I still intend to get that ocean front villa, but I've decided I will rent rather than own. I..........will concentrate all my forces in cyberspace, building digital assets that are beyond the reach of governments and nation states. Owning digital assets will allow me to get a Dominican wife.....but she will never be able to use Dominican law to acquire those assets because those assets would be digital and beyond the reach of the Dominican government. By owning digital assets and renting property here rather than buying, the cash flow from the digital assets can pay the monthly rent, and I get what I want. There is one issue that troubles me, one issue that concerns me. I plan to have a child with a Dominicana, and I need to know its citizenship status. If a foreigner gets a Dominican woman pregnant here, would the baby be a Dominican citizen or an American citizen, and if it is a Dominican citizen, can I get the baby out of the country if there is an emergency? I really don't care about the mother, if she wants to or can leave great, but I'm willing to sacrifice her for child as the child is more important. So.......what do you people think, what is the status of babies born to expats and local women, and can I get them out if I need to leave the country?

Men like me that control lucrative digital assets will surpass all your brick and mortar business owners over the long run. I'm putting my faith in the Internet because the Internet gives me superior economic mobility. If things deteriorate in the DR I can abandon the country quickly and move to Ecuador, Belize, some place that is more stable. By mastering cyberspace I can live where I want. I seek true power, wisdom, and wealth, and the Internet has already been good to me. God....I remember when I first used the Internet back in high school, I knew back then that it was something special, revolutionary. It looks like my online business just got a big sale today, will celebrate one mi dinero arrives.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
It is......but Frank raised a non-related question...and I decided to answer him. I just got back to the DR in my last post, chill out. Why do you people expect us to stay on topic for the entire thread? Don't you know it is inevitable that we will move off topic from time to time? Jesus.
Some of the non-related stuff that is off topic is interesting - and would be better if you had started a new thread around it because you probably would have found more people who would have participated if it was under its own topic as opposed to the Cabarete topic.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

I have no choice but to chill, each of your post is a novel. I have my reading glasses and a hot tea :cool:

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
Nothing wrong with reading books. If more people in this country read as much as I do, this place would be a lot better off, you can be sure of that. I'm not being negative, just being a realist. Maybe if Dominicans read Machiavelli they wouldn't be allowing Barrick to steal gold right from under their noses, you know what I mean? You can learn a lot from reading, it really is fundamental.

Regarding giving children here pesos, I don't give them money, I don't give out freebies. If you want something in this world you need to work for it. You expats who come here and give these kids pesos are a part of the problem, not the solution. Instead of handing them 100 pesos, tell them to shine your shoes first. Teach them the importance of a work ethnic. I despise beggars, if I had a son who begged someone and I caught him I'd slap the taste out of his mouth. You don't beg anyone for anything, I will teach my son that a real man goes out and works for what he wants. Never ever beg. Its humiliating and demeaning, not to mention pathetic. Even if I were hungry and suffering and had little money I would never ask my mother for anything, I have too much honor and pride.

nope, I do not see any negativity here at all.. open your eyes genius, I am giving something to somebody who has nothing and has little chance of getting anything, a few dollars is not going to change my life, but it will change thiers. God willing , you will not procreate and bring another wanna-be genius into the world spreading their negativity. I am done with this thread

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Wow! I haven't checked the DR1 site for a couple of days, but Dark Scorpion is STILL ranting on with his philosophy. I should think the OP long ago lost interest in getting sensible answers to her sensible question. How about a new thread - "Dark Scorpion's thoughts on business, the DR and everything else". Or better still a new website! :rolleyes:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Good........because I get tired of reading the posts of weaklings like you. You can give out all the charity you want pal, you won't change a damn thing here. This country is toast, I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts. :cool:

Big talk from a guy that can't pick up a girl without going on a public forum to see how to do it......guess you didn't find a book on that eh?..........lol

Going back to the original OP, Cabarete is way overpriced at the moment, and with 7 hotels closing down in the last 6yrs there is really nowhere to stay.....

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Going back to the original OP, Cabarete is way overpriced at the moment, and with 7 hotels closing down in the last 6yrs there is really nowhere to stay.....

I don't agree that Cabarete is overpriced - I would say it is good value. Hotels have closed but they have been replaced by self catering apartments because that's what the people want. So there is plenty of accommodation most of the time except the real peak season and Semana Santa.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Big talk from a guy that can't pick up a girl without going on a public forum to see how to do it......guess you didn't find a book on that eh?..........lol

Go fuk yourself and have a nice day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
there is a growing international community in LT

Caberete seemed like a strip between Puerto Plata and Sosua.

That is what you saw because that is what is there now. As I mentioned Cabarete is much longer than just the strip along the beach.

too built up for my taste

I guess you missed the open fields that comprise most of the Cabarete area.

LT is now too built up as well for my personal taste.

I was just talking about where the edge of the market is in real estate, where the market is hot. And LT is hot. It is the hot spot for the Capitalenos on the weekends. It is the destination.

That may well be true if people from the SD really do like to go there and buy up the remaining real estate.

Caberete is where the Embassy families go with their kids for the weekend to rent villas with pools and buff tourists go to kite surf.

Sure, that is a part of what happens in Cabarete

LT is more for bocce playing beach walking long lunching European style tourism.

And I am sure that has its appeal.

As this is the real estate section, I assumed the issue was where the real estate was hot. So in case you have never been to LT, you should check it out. It will attract more tourists faster than Caberete as there are two jet blue flights a week coming into the airport at El Catey

I have been to LT and it was OK. Might even go back and have another visit since it is less than 3 hours from where I live, but I have no burning desire to do so.

Last I checked there were DAILY JetBlue flights (as well as DAILY American and United flights to and from the US and other flights from Europe and Canada) to Puerto Plata which services Cabarete and Sosua as well as other towns along this part of the north coast. I am sure the flight service to both places will see flights expand or contract to meet the demands of those caring to visit each of them.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
The guy is lonely and needs attention. Plain and simple. Please lets pray for his well being. No amount of money can fix loneliness and no amount of hubris and self grandeur will fill the void in his soul.