Is there hope for Cabarete? (Investing in Property)

May 29, 2006
"Kaczynski is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole as Federal Bureau of Prisons register number 04475-046 in ADX Florence, the federal Administrative Maximum Facility supermax in Florence, Colorado."

Ted Kaczynski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Knew a guy who went to college with him and knew him. Sure he was crazy living alone in a cabin, but if it wasn't for his brother turning him in, he prob would have died before he got caught. We were just lucky he didn't have bigger ambitions.

May 29, 2006
that hotels have been replaced with condos is certainly a sign of a rising real estate market

same thing happened in las terrenas

Hotel Europa in Sosua is a good example of that and it used to be a monger haven.

I expect this to happen pretty much everywhere on the island except in PC with some going to local housing. Flipping abandoned hotels into residential housing is another venture that could work(with a LOT of money), but the hotel folks try to sell their failed properties in the AI market. Thing is, it's just as expensive to renovate a 20 year old property as it is to build new. Worse is some of these were built with sub standard materials that can't simply be patched up. I expect a lot of the old AI's are going to be torn down before that. The smaller hotels seem to flip quickly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Go fuk yourself and have a nice day.

I see you are likely to be banned soon if not already.

As for your question about having a child. I hope you do not proceed with that. Really I hope you don't for many reasons.

If you do have one with a Dominican woman, you will find that you will not be able to leave the DR with that child without the mother's permission. The child can easily be both a DR citizen and a US citizen.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
ItS because man apparently has 2 heads And most here and the planet maybe have not learned how they work properly YET? Lol

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Cabarete clientele has changed a lot over the years . as has the Economy ! The New hwy from Santo Domingo to Samana, and Las terranas is now a liability as a Columbian Company built it apparently without dom funding and hss a 30 year contract that the previous dom govt signed that provides the columbian country with atleast a billio peso guarantee per year ! since the economy has diminished vastly , THE HWY IS USED SPARRINGLY , AND this amts to another major subsidy . does anyone want any govt to negotiate for them ??? I THINK NOT !!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Cabarate will survive. It has its Wind surfer and Kite boarding base. These are not necessarily people who can and will invest in the area. As I said before, Sosua and Cabarate and for that matter POP where hot areas about 20 years ago. The Samana Peninsula is the hot spot currently. Cash is king. If you have it you can probably find some bargains in Cabarate. Just remember don't plan on flipping it anytime soon. You are in for the long haul. Location is everything and don't forget security. This should be your top priority in investing in the DR. Good Luck.

LTSteve

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Cabarate will survive. It has its Wind surfer and Kite boarding base. These are not necessarily people who can and will invest in the area. As I said before, Sosua and Cabarate and for that matter POP where hot areas about 20 years ago. The Samana Peninsula is the hot spot currently. Cash is king. If you have it you can probably find some bargains in Cabarate. Just remember don't plan on flipping it anytime soon. You are in for the long haul. Location is everything and don't forget security. This should be your top priority in investing in the DR. Good Luck.

LTSteve

As your name suggests, you seem to have an agenda of constantly pushing the Samana peninsula and Las Terrenas in particular to the detriment of the rest of the north coast. By any chance, do you have a business interest in Las Terrenas? ;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

LTSteve

Agreed on security being important anywhere in the DR.

When you and others say Samana is the hot spot, what exactly do you mean? Are private housing starts a big factor and are those houses being completed and occupied? Are there a large number of condos being built? Hotels being built? What is hot that is happening there?

As your name suggests, you seem to have an agenda of constantly pushing the Samana peninsula and Las Terrenas in particular to the detriment of the rest of the north coast. By any chance, do you have a business interest in Las Terrenas? ;)

Good question for LTSteve.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I would not place any blame on LTSteve at all. We as humans tend to protect and care our home turf. If I were in his shoes I would be doing the same thing. I have a little house near cabrera and will relocate there permanently in the near future. You can bet that I am gonna start promoting my little slice of paradise to all my friends and acquantances. Without a doubt Las Terrenas is enjoying the spotlight and why not? its a beautiful place. I see good things coming to the North Coast as a whole and making a comeback. why??
because IT IS NOT Punta Cana and all the all inclusives that they built there. Believe me you dont want that kind of clientele up here. Not worth it in the long run.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
why??
because IT IS NOT Punta Cana and all the all inclusives that they built there. Believe me you dont want that kind of clientele up here. Not worth it in the long run.

Why not AI's? Any tourist housing mix is going to include AI's, hotels, vacation homes and some hard core full timers.

Or do you mean no tourists at all?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Puerto Plata had its share of AI's. They were doing OK about when I moved to the north coast about 10 years ago. They went steadily downhill and I don't think many are still open. I have heard it is better to knock them down and start over rather than to renovate them. AI's provide employment to the employees, but do little else for the local economy since they are rarely owned locally which seems to be a common complaint against them. AI's frequently also close off beach front, illegally I might add, and prevent those of us that live or rent here from accessing the beach.

I am sure others will chime in on the AI plus and minus points.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The thing about P.C. that I think many on the North Coast or other areas of the D.R. are unaware of, is that it is changing... and pretty rapidly. (VERY rapidly by D.R. standards.) The A.I.'s still dominate the area for sure, but there is a growing population of expats, part time residents, vacation home owners, condo and villa vacation renters, etc. Also a growing population of "locals", Dominican and others, mostly those working at the various businesses. The A.I.'s put P.C. "on the map"... literally, and will continue to be the driving force for a long time. This is OK, because it increases the visibility and recognition of the area, and is the economic spur driving development. No money... no growth.

The problem of beach access is definitely an issue, but this is NOT the fault of the A.I.'s, it's the fault of the local gov't for not providing for the eventual need for public access. I just hope the accessibility increases... not decreases.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It makes perfect sense that when people vacation to an area, be it PC or Cabarete, that some of them will want to stay and development of private residences, condos and apartments will happen. For me, the "pull" to PC would be less than to Florida, but everyone has their own idea of paradise.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
I'v seen things change on the North coast over the last 10 years, many young sporty retirees moving here.
Lots of other expat professionals working in the country are moving their families to the north because this area is has more things to do for their families like ISS school, sports and larger expat community.
For example the ISS class size is almost double of what it was 10 years ago.
I think a courageous wise man can find his way around and build a great life here.
You are guaranteed to stay young and sharp, the Dominican Republic will keep you on your toes ...
my 2 cents..

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I would not place any blame on LTSteve at all. We as humans tend to protect and care our home turf. If I were in his shoes I would be doing the same thing. I have a little house near cabrera and will relocate there permanently in the near future. You can bet that I am gonna start promoting my little slice of paradise to all my friends and acquantances. Without a doubt Las Terrenas is enjoying the spotlight and why not? its a beautiful place. I see good things coming to the North Coast as a whole and making a comeback. why??

I've lived in Cabrera for about 10 years and go out of my way NOT to tell anyone about it because I like it the way it is. :)

With the Playa Grande area being developed now, I'm sure Cabrera will grow rapidly and land values will grow accordingly. Ah, well, that's progress, I suppose.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When I say hot spot I am talking about where the DR Gov is spending money to aid tourism. Like I stated before, new International airport, new inter-country highways, re-built Fisherman's Village, new sidewalks, new water filtration systems for Coson, Playa Bonita and Las Terrenas. In additional there ia continued development of condos at Playa Bonita, Playa Las Ballenas and Playa Popi. Travel to the Samana Peninsula is on the radar list for the NYTimes, Fodors and International Living Mags in articles published in the last year. It is getting a high profile for International travels coming to the DR. There is also many eco-tourism features such as, whale watching, hiking, ziplining, surfing, kayaking and others. Las Terrenas also has a large choice of International cuisine, from French to Italian to German and of course Seafood. There are other factors which I could go into but I think those are the major ones. To answer another question I own a residence in Las Terrenas so, of course, I am going to promote the area. I have nothing against the North Coast. I have stayed in Playa Grande, Cabarate, Sousa and Puerta Plata and have enjoyed the area. What I really like about LT is that it is a beach town with a Mediteranian feel and also has a great Dominican commerical area. One of the few things that is missing from the Samana Peninsula is a golf course and this will probably be developed in the next 5-8 years. In 10 years there will probably be another "hot"spot in the DR.

LTSTeve

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
My wife has a friend who moved to Las Terrenas because Cabrera was too quiet for her plus she is French/Haitian so she thought it would be better for her. We went to stay with her for a couple of days. Boy, am I glad I do not live in Las Terrenas! Yikes! Noisy, dirty, smelly and crowded more than I could stand for very long.

That said, the restaurants and entertainment there are very good. We had a great time going out to a club where a lady was singing (and she was definitely good), ate at some superb restaurants and visited Balcones del Atlantico for drinks in the evening. All of that and the beaches were gorgeous.

Still...I'm glad I can drive there and then drive away to live where it is quiet, serene, peaceful and tranquil. I love Cabrera! What can I say....??