lamb or goat meat in Santiago

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I have been looking unsuccessfully for lamb or goat meat in the large grocery stores in Santiago. I don't need a large quantity; it is just for myself. Suggestions or recommendations?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
La Sirena sells chivo/goat in their stores in Santo Domingo and San Cristobal - have you checked La Sirena in Santiago?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
there was somebody here a while back who had lamb.

My experience with lamb in warmer climates is that it can be a bit 'muttony'
Goat is a good alternative..... curried, whatever.

I have never seen it in the supermarkets.
Youy may need to hunt for it.... ask if they can order it for you, or use the local connections = workers, etc.

Many restaurants have it but not always all the time.

I have been looking for goat's milk (unsuccessfully) for quite a while now... for yogurt.

good luck

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The local lamb is very good, if you can find it. I wanted a leg of lamb last Easter, and asked around the campo. One morning a motoconcho showed up at our gate with two of them in a bag. Wasn't ridiculously expensive either, I made one for Easter, froze the other and took it to Matilda's house when we went to visit them. Was yummy.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
there was somebody here a while back who had lamb.

My experience with lamb in warmer climates is that it can be a bit 'muttony'
Goat is a good alternative..... curried, whatever.

Thanks for Mutton WW!

[video=youtube;rJW4xx5G3F0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJW4xx5G3F0[/video]

Whirleybird used to raise lamb on her finca out near Sabaneta, perhaps contact her on here.

tumblr_miqxchFLVb1ry2oaso1_r1_250.gif

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, it was the Whirling Bird who raised it...

as for the lamb/mutton.....
we Canadians notice a big difference in the US lamb vs Cdn

My farmer friends tell me its because that the northern climates get a better winter kill and the lambs eat more tender grass.

Naturally, the NE us will have the same winter kill but the big meat producers - beef, lamb, whatever aren't from that region.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, it was the Whirling Bird who raised it...

as for the lamb/mutton.....
we Canadians notice a big difference in the US lamb vs Cdn

My farmer friends tell me its because that the northern climates get a better winter kill and the lambs eat more tender grass.

Naturally, the NE us will have the same winter kill but the big meat producers - beef, lamb, whatever aren't from that region.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have seen in a few places in the city (santiago) people put up a small fence and fill them with goats for sale. I don't think they are pets.

Aug 6, 2006
They are pets until they become dinner. There is rather a "multiple use" system at work here.

When my daughter was young, we had a pet angora bunny. In the interests of perhaps having more bunnies, we joined the ARBA, the Rabbit Breeders' Association. After reading the minutes, the meeting always split up into two factions: those that had pet bunnies, and those that raised rabbits for food. Everyone seemed to get along better than one might expect, considering. Better than a meeting of the Kennel Club where one side might be dedicating itself to winning dogshows, and another side was comparing recipes for "Chow", anyway...

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Playero in Sosua WERE selling them. They sold out last week. Imported from New Zealand, boneless 3lb Legs were priced between 1100-1300RD @ $422 RD per lb!
This was the 2nd batch they'd had in the last 3-4 months.
When I see them again I'll reply to this thread.

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
I have been looking unsuccessfully for lamb or goat meat in the large grocery stores in Santiago. I don't need a large quantity; it is just for myself. Suggestions or recommendations?

But if you want a little more meat you could go on a 'little' trip on Hwy #1 towards Villa Vasquez. There is a stretch of road about 20-30 miles east of there where you will see many chivos dangling in the wind along the road. They walked into town that morning so would be pretty fresh, but if you want very fresh some of the vendors will butcher one on the spot while you wait. A good time to take a break and crack a Presidente grande and watch the traffic whiz by.

May 29, 2006
Playero in Sosua WERE selling them. They sold out last week. Imported from New Zealand, boneless 3lb Legs were priced between 1100-1300RD @ $422 RD per lb!
This was the 2nd batch they'd had in the last 3-4 months.
When I see them again I'll reply to this thread.

NZ lamb is pricey in the US too. $8/pound for ribs(bone in) is not unheard of. They are delicious...