Scott Teilhaber In Critical Condition

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have known Scott since the first day I set foot in Sosua and got lots of advice from him. I remember sitting in his restaurant going over our house plans with him. He has remained a good friend ever since.
Good luck my friend.

Bob K

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
From Scott's daughter on Facebook:

CONFIRMED. going to the Dominican Republic to see my dad this weekend.

Update on his recovery: As of yesterday, he doesn't believe his legs are broken, despite how many times he is told. He is having problems with short term memory and doesn't remember eating breakfast or anything about the accident. He was in a better mood today than yesterday. Maria said they had a nice conversation about me. He is being moved tomorrow, i believe, to his condo where he will be under 24 hour personal care by a doctor, nurse, PT/cognitive therapist, strong men available for lifting and house care/ food preparation. I'm hoping by the time I arrive that he will have grasped the concept of his situation. Otherwise, I'm going to have to make him stand until he believes his legs are broken. Keep ya posted

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
From Scott's daughter on Facebook:

CONFIRMED. going to the Dominican Republic to see my dad this weekend.

Update on his recovery: As of yesterday, he doesn't believe his legs are broken, despite how many times he is told. He is having problems with short term memory and doesn't remember eating breakfast or anything about the accident. He was in a better mood today than yesterday. Maria said they had a nice conversation about me. He is being moved tomorrow, i believe, to his condo where he will be under 24 hour personal care by a doctor, nurse, PT/cognitive therapist, strong men available for lifting and house care/ food preparation. I'm hoping by the time I arrive that he will have grasped the concept of his situation. Otherwise, I'm going to have to make him stand until he believes his legs are broken. Keep ya posted
thanks for the update. maybe some day in the future, when he is well enough to receive visitors, you will let us know, so those of us who are friends of his can stop in and say hello.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Can anyone confirm, did this happen at Cabrera? I was there that Sunday and saw a guy get wiped out by a stunt bike that went out of control, but then I was told this accident was at the Motocross track near Montellano/Star Hills. Seems a mighty coincidence?!?

Anyway the incident I saw looked nasty and I hope the guy is recovering, whoever he is!

The Stunt Show continued after 10 mins as if nothing had happened, with plenty of people standing exactly where the poor guy got totaled! Lots of the stunt riders were quaffing 151 Brugal, which might explain things

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can anyone confirm, did this happen at Cabrera? I was there that Sunday and saw a guy get wiped out by a stunt bike that went out of control, but then I was told this accident was at the Motocross track near Montellano/Star Hills. Seems a mighty coincidence?!?

Anyway the incident I saw looked nasty and I hope the guy is recovering, whoever he is!

The Stunt Show continued after 10 mins as if nothing had happened, with plenty of people standing exactly where the poor guy got totaled! Lots of the stunt riders were quaffing 151 Brugal, which might explain things

Since Scott lived in Cabrera and it was reported to be a Stunt Rider show Scott was at, and you saw someone get hit by a bike out of control I would be amazed if that was not Scott you saw being hit.

Best wishes Scott.

May 12, 2005
Scott is a good dude and wish him a speedy recovery. However with his age and severity of injuries it will be a long road. Glad to hear he is home.

marge201

Mar 4, 2014
Can anyone confirm, did this happen at Cabrera? I was there that Sunday and saw a guy get wiped out by a stunt bike that went out of control. Anyway the incident I saw looked nasty and I hope the guy is recovering, whoever he is! The Stunt Show continued after 10 mins as if nothing had happened, with plenty of people standing exactly where the poor guy got totaled! Lots of the stunt riders were quaffing 151 Brugal, which might explain things

Wow, that is just awful. The accident happened in Cabrera. I saw pictures. A parade-like atmosphere. One guy standing on his motorcycle eating or pretending to eat something off a plate. Lots of wheelies and other stunts. Can't imagine drinking and driving. Does anyone know the identity of the motorcyclist that hit my brother Scott? Did anyone else get hit? My poor brother is going through hell. I'm sick to my stomach that the driver, whoever it was, might have been drinking. What a disgrace.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I wasn't at the show but I am here in Cabrera and know many people who were there that afternoon. The town was much much busier than normal as people came from away to see the show. I choose not to go because I knew it would be a huge crowd and a bit crazy with so many people all in one spot watching bike tricks. It was a motorcycle show put on by a group of motorcyclists (from SD I believe) to do all their tricks for the crowd. I would doubt the driver was drinking because he was here to do some very hard stunts and probably does it often for different crowds. I think it was just a tough stunt gone horribly wrong. I am so sorry to hear what happened to your brother, Scott. I don't think anyone else was injured that day. Wishing Scott a very speedy recovery and hope he will be okay.

Wow, that is just awful. The accident happened in Cabrera. I saw pictures. A parade-like atmosphere. One guy standing on his motorcycle eating or pretending to eat something off a plate. Lots of wheelies and other stunts. Can't imagine drinking and driving. Does anyone know the identity of the motorcyclist that hit my brother Scott? Did anyone else get hit? My poor brother is going through hell. I'm sick to my stomach that the driver, whoever it was, might have been drinking. What a disgrace.

marge201

Mar 4, 2014
TravelHippo, thanks for the information. I'm gathering that there is no recourse in DR? There's no one held responsible for hitting Scott, no one to sue for expenses, nothing at all? Could that be true? I know there's a lifetime maximum on some health insurance policies in DR. Does that get waived when someone incurs medical expense for something like this, something entirely not their fault? I live in NJ and know nothing about this stuff. Thanks again for the info and the good wishes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
TravelHippo, thanks for the information. I'm gathering that there is no recourse in DR? There's no one held responsible for hitting Scott, no one to sue for expenses, nothing at all? Could that be true? I know there's a lifetime maximum on some health insurance policies in DR. Does that get waived when someone incurs medical expense for something like this, something entirely not their fault? I live in NJ and know nothing about this stuff. Thanks again for the info and the good wishes.

No, you shouldn't expect that someone will be responsible for his medical expenses. In a situation like that, accidents can happen and spectators close to the action are at risk. As someone mentioned previously in this thread, riders and spectators are pretty much on their own.

I suppose in the US, you might be able to claim that management had a duty to erect barriers to keep participants and spectators well separated, but I doubt that would get any traction here.

If you can find out what company Scott's insurance is with, someone here might be able to help you make contact with the local agent.

Does Scott have insurance in the US, or maybe Medicare? The latter can't be used here, but if he went to the US, it would be a help there.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

Unfortunately, the liklihood of Scott's expenses being covered by the driver is infinitesimal. My US insurance covered around $100,000 in medical expenses for me after I was hit by a minivan while crossing the street. The person who hit me had little insurance. I did, however, go to the US for treatment once stabilized.

May 5, 2007
I don't know if Scott was permanent DR resident or not. IF he still had US residency and owned an automobile in US his un/underinsured coverage might possibly help

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know there's a lifetime maximum on some health insurance policies in DR. Does that get waived when someone incurs medical expense for something like this, something entirely not their fault?

it does not matter. a disease is hardly patients fault as well. not only there is maximum for life, there is also maximum for emergencies (this will be qualified as one). the insurance will only cover the cost up to that amount (usually something between 500,000 to 1,000,000 pesos).

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Best wishes for Scotts's recovery and to all his family and friends....maybe a benefit could be held to help. I come from Michigan and have lived here two years and I do not know what route one could take here...Prayers

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A bit of an aside, when I was asking my friends here in Cabrera about the accident, one who was there reported that just before this accident they announced over the speaker system that they were not responsible for any injuries at the event...

very shortly thereafter, Scott was injured.