CELL PHONE Question

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
CDMA does not involve a SIM card, you may still find a carrier that is uses CDMA in RD.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
but viva phones here do have a SIM card.
i don't use viva myself, they have the worst coverage of all in the area and provide no customers services at all to speak of,
but a friend of mine got her phone unblocked and wanted to check if it really works with other carriers, so i gave her my claro sim to be put in her viva phone, it worked. her viva phone had teh same kinda SIM card as my claro SIM.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
anyways, forget about old phnes which run on outdated systems.
phones cost peanuts, nothing.
you get a brand new cellphone with charger ready for the common gsm system for 10-15 bucks at every store.
why to hassle around with old phones and different systms to get 'em comparalble?

Mike

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
Thanks, I guess I'll just toss the BB's and buy a gsm phone with a sim card.

I wouldn't toss them. I believe all BB's have a sim card. They can be unlocked quite easily. In Sosua at the telephone shop next door to Cabarete liquor store. a few minutes and a couple hundred pesos.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
They are unlocked if you buy the unlocked usd650 and up version. They are locked if you buy the usd199 and up version with a plan from a provider.

Yes, all Ip6's are unlocked... unless it was subsidized (USD 199) by the carrier- and most US carriers now honor unlock requests.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
My Samsung S5 from Verizon in the States, works on GSM/CDMA systems and all I had to do when I came down here for 5 months to use it was to take out the Verizon SIM and get a new SIM from Claro. Works fine. When I go back in the spring, I'll just slip the Verizon card back in the phone and begin using Verizon again. All I have to do is E-mail them that I'm coming back and they'll reactivate my account. They did the same thing for my wife's Motorola phone and they both work excellent here. You just have to make sure when you buy the phone that it states it is an INTERNATIONAL PHONE.

An "international" phone only means it is Quad banded (GSM). GSM bands are only for voice. Quad-band generally refers to a device that supports four different GSM frequency bands (850 and 1900 MHz, mostly used in the Americas, and the 900 and 1800 MHz bands used elsewhere.) A quad-band device will work pretty much anywhere in the world where there is GSM service. You must also insure you have the 3G and 4G radio frequencies for data/voice that the particular country's carrier employs.

Pretty must all modern, good, phones are quad banded (International).

Last edited:

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I believe your phone is CDMA. Does it carry a sim card as well? To unlock the phone is 200-500 pesos.

If you're still in America these guys can unlock it for you. And it's a factory full unlock.

http://www.techmajesty.com/iphone-unlocking-service/

Would love to know where you can get an iphone unlocked for 200 pesos. I just had one from canada unlocked for 1200 and was told that unblocking ones from the usa is more expensive. This was in SD....and I had a Dominican friend get the price.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I wouldn't toss them. I believe all BB's have a sim card. They can be unlocked quite easily. In Sosua at the telephone shop next door to Cabarete liquor store. a few minutes and a couple hundred pesos.

Most BB's have a sim, the Curve does not. But I solved it, I just bought a couple newer Blackberry's on ebay, $40 usd and they're unlocked Quad GSM ready to go internationally.

Megadivo

Sep 8, 2015
Anyone know if you can port a prepaid number there? I want to use my cell phone on Claro instead of Orange

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I have service with Orange. I want to use Claro but don't want to lose my number. WHat I am asking is if I can port it.

i don't know about prepaid numbers.
i know that you can keep your orange phone number when you switch from Orange to a Claro Postpaid/billed Plan,
as we did that with my wife's number.
but that is not up to date info, as we did that years ago.

Mike

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
oh god, so many people have this urge to respond to any post written by anyone but so many have no clue as to what they are talking about. if you don't know about a subject, why bother even responding and giving away potentially wrong and even, costly information?
Only respond when you are an expert on the subject. Anyone can do google search.
AZB

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i don't know about prepaid numbers.
i know that you can keep your orange phone number when you switch from Orange to a Claro Postpaid/billed Plan,
as we did that with my wife's number.
but that is not up to date info, as we did that years ago.

Mike

and of course the former orange phone did not work with the new Claro SIM Card, for that a phone needs to get unlocked.
that was no problem, as she anyways wanted a new phone and we took a Claro phone with the new SIM right there.
i understood that you want to switch from your actual orange provider to Claro as your new provider and want to keep your phonenumber, right?
or what do you mean with "Port"?

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
oh god, so many people have this urge to respond to any post written by anyone but so many have no clue as to what they are talking about. if you don't know about a subject, why bother even responding and giving away potentially wrong and even, costly information?
Only respond when you are an expert on the subject. Anyone can do google search.
AZB

good early morning smoke or such???
why don't you just answer in the correct way, when you see wrong info given??
that would be helpful and on topic.
just like that, it's a piece of crap, useless.

Mike

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Yes you can bring your current tel # to Claro, for a charge. Let them know at Claro customer service before they activate your new sim card.

Next issue, will your current phone work with a Claro sim or are you planning on getting a new phone at Claro?

Megadivo

Sep 8, 2015
Well my Phone is Unlocked. So it should work with any Carrier. Reason I want to move Carriers in DR is because my former AT&T phone will only work on EDGE for data, and Claro will work in 3G

Megadivo

Sep 8, 2015
and of course the former orange phone did not work with the new Claro SIM Card, for that a phone needs to get unlocked.
that was no problem, as she anyways wanted a new phone and we took a Claro phone with the new SIM right there.
i understood that you want to switch from your actual orange provider to Claro as your new provider and want to keep your phonenumber, right?
or what do you mean with "Port"?

Mike

Yes, I want to port my number. But it's a Pre-Paid so I was not sure. I already have given my number out to a few places I do business with and want to ensure I keep same one.