Delta. TV in luggage

rnr39

Sep 29, 2010
Under 42" diagonal is no problem . . . especially since last time I took one they told me under this is tax exempt too. The ones in the 30's are never a problem. TSA always . . . as in ALWAYS now inspects electronics. Do not open the box before the airport and don't put anything else inside. Nothing. They are pretty good at it and will tape it back up very well with TSA tape and a notice card inside. I always tell Delta but have never had a problem separately. If you have a microwave etc in a suitcase TSA will also inspect that . . . same deal with the tape and all. My experiences are mostly from ATL.

May 20, 2012
We have recently checked boxes on American Airlines with no issue.
Two separate trips from MIA to PUJ; each time a shipping box (surrounding the original retail box) containing 27 inch Apple monitors. No extra charge or even questions from American Airlines.

The only questions we had were in PUJ when we arrived. We had to show them two things: 1) not brand new and 2) computer monitors, not TV's. We did not have to pay aduanas either time.

We were flying Business class, so maybe that helped with American Airlines.....dunno.

small Tvs are no problem but a huge flat Tv box (50inch+) would have to be shipped as cargo. i think all airlines do that. the check in luggage has fixed dimensions and the box cannot exceed that size.
AZB

P.S. delta does let you check in carton boxes of allowed sizes but AA will not let you check in a carton box of any size.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
Under 42" diagonal is no problem . . . especially since last time I took one they told me under this is tax exempt too. The ones in the 30's are never a problem. TSA always . . . as in ALWAYS now inspects electronics. Do not open the box before the airport and don't put anything else inside. Nothing. They are pretty good at it and will tape it back up very well with TSA tape and a notice card inside. I always tell Delta but have never had a problem separately. If you have a microwave etc in a suitcase TSA will also inspect that . . . same deal with the tape and all. My experiences are mostly from ATL.
I flew to PTO PTA (AA) with a 42in and they caught it and charged me 200.00.to get it out of customs. I now fly to Santiago 42 is the max you can get without extra $ I am sure you know. I ship mostly barrels from atlanta

rnr39

Sep 29, 2010
I just shipped a barrel and it got stuck in Boca Chica and they insisted we hadn't paid to ship it. Fourfan can you provide some additional details? Would up paying 15,000 pesos to get it away from the customs people at the port. It probably isn't worth flaming online in the USA . . . but it really sucked.

May 20, 2012
I would have PM'ed you, but didn't work.....
Anyway, I would love to know more details about shipping barrels FROM ATLANTA, rather than FL.
Would you be so kind as to share the shipper, costs, etc.?
I flew to PTO PTA (AA) with a 42in and they caught it and charged me 200.00.to get it out of customs. I now fly to Santiago 42 is the max you can get without extra $ I am sure you know. I ship mostly barrels from atlanta

May 20, 2012
Please clarify: You had to pay $15,000 pesos to get a barrel out of customs??? After you had already paid a DR shipper in USA to deliver it to your door in DR? If I understood you correctly, WHAT was in the barrel?
I just shipped a barrel and it got stuck in Boca Chica and they insisted we hadn't paid to ship it. Fourfan can you provide some additional details? Would up paying 15,000 pesos to get it away from the customs people at the port. It probably isn't worth flaming online in the USA . . . but it really sucked.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012

How did you transport the 42" ??

Did you send it in it's original box?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

I am curious also. The TV dimensions alone would easily classify the TV as over size luggage on United Airlines. Let alone consider shipping it in the original box.

I have seen plenty of 32" TV come in at SDQ and never a word was said. I asked the customs agent about taxes and she replied small TVs are tax free but never committed herself to what a "small" TV is.

I brought in a 32" in it's original box and had no problems. I really don't think there is a need to hide a 32" in your luggage.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015

yes original box packed with clothes wrapped in brown paper. I flew AA. I did not even get to baggage with it in Santiago. I told them I did not get all my things . they asked my name and they sent me to an office and there it was. I had to go back next day to pick it up. They liked the NEW sticker I had left on the screen. .NEXT DAY paid $200.00 tax to get released. it was a $243 TV. My wife argued for at least an hour with them but gave up.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
yes original box packed with clothes wrapped in brown paper. I flew AA. I did not even get to baggage with it in Santiago. I told them I did not get all my things . they asked my name and they sent me to an office and there it was. I had to go back next day to pick it up. They liked the NEW sticker I had left on the screen. .NEXT DAY paid $200.00 tax to get released. it was a $243 TV. My wife argued for at least an hour with them but gave up.

I would have PM'ed you, but didn't work.....
Anyway, I would love to know more details about shipping barrels FROM ATLANTA, rather than FL.
Would you be so kind as to share the shipper, costs, etc.?

I use Eduardo Ciriaco
EDI CARGO LLC
4650 Jimmy Carter Blvd
Suite 116 B
Norcross , Ga 30093

best deal I have found, he and his family are from where I live in Puerto Plata and they just work in USA and travel back with shipment.
the do door to door and they are with your load on the pickup and delivery. I trust them to. I have not had a problem with them after 10 barrels I do boxes also. 150.00 a barrel d to d

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
I am curious also. The TV dimensions alone would easily classify the TV as over size luggage on United Airlines. Let alone consider shipping it in the original box.

I have seen plenty of 32" TV come in at SDQ and never a word was said. I asked the customs agent about taxes and she replied small TVs are tax free but never committed herself to what a "small" TV is.

I brought in a 32" in it's original box and had no problems. I really don't think there is a need to hide a 32" in your luggage.
I forgot, I looked at AA baggage max and bought the largest tv I good ship. some 42 were over the limit, I found one with the bare minimum box at packed it better. it was only less the 2inches under.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I forgot, I looked at AA baggage max and bought the largest tv I good ship. some 42 were over the limit, I found one with the bare minimum box at packed it better. it was only less the 2inches under.

Good for you. I have no idea where you found a 42 inch TV even without the box where the linear inches were less than 62 inches which is the limitation on most airlines.

$200 isn't bad for the taxes considering a shipper would probably charge more than that.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
Good for you. I have no idea where you found a 42 inch TV even without the box where the linear inches were less than 62 inches which is the limitation on most airlines.

$200 isn't bad for the taxes considering a shipper would probably charge more than that.

I am stupid stupid stupid. I just called my wife and she said it was 32 inch tv. I do not know why I thought 42. getting old I guess

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am stupid stupid stupid. I just called my wife and she said it was 32 inch tv. I do not know why I thought 42. getting old I guess

ROTFLMAO, it is what we call just having a "senior" moment.

Even though it is surprising you had to pay $200 for bringing in a 32", just goes to show how it is so often posted YMMV.

A few times I have seen as many as ten 32" TVs arrive on my flight and everyone just zipped through customs as if it was just normal luggage.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We have recently checked boxes on American Airlines with no issue.
Two separate trips from MIA to PUJ; each time a shipping box (surrounding the original retail box) containing 27 inch Apple monitors. No extra charge or even questions from American Airlines.

The only questions we had were in PUJ when we arrived. We had to show them two things: 1) not brand new and 2) computer monitors, not TV's. We did not have to pay aduanas either time.

We were flying Business class, so maybe that helped with American Airlines.....dunno.

try checking in 27 inch TV box and see what happens.
In any case, I am surprised AA let you check in boxes. The problem with op was not Tv box but that the box was very large and exceeded the required dimensions. 26in TV box is with in the size limit. Congratulations for not paying the custom duties.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
try checking in 27 inch TV box and see what happens.
In any case, I am surprised AA let you check in boxes. The problem with op was not Tv box but that the box was very large and exceeded the required dimensions. 26in TV box is with in the size limit. Congratulations for not paying the custom duties.
AZB
sorry, type. I meant to say 47 inch TV. not 27 inch TV.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i have never had AA refuse a box that was well packaged

many years ago I was refused a well packaged carton box. they made me buy a huge bag to put it in. then they accepted it. jetbue also doesn't accept boxes. its on their website. I am glad AA has changed their policy.

May 20, 2012
AA had a bag and sold it to you? Like a duffle bag or something? I'm confused.
many years ago I was refused a well packaged carton box. they made me buy a huge bag to put it in. then they accepted it. jetbue also doesn't accept boxes. its on their website. I am glad AA has changed their policy.