New to Puerto Plata from Canada

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Im not looking for it to make sense to you.... Let me reiterate since a few people seem to be imagining their own scenarios and conclusion to my story... I only posted this to say hello, I am a new member happy to be in the DR and if you have any helpful information to one part of my plan, please share. I dont mind advice but dont assume i dont know any Spanish or have not looked in to residency and the legalities of living and working here.... Just because it doesnt make sense to you does not mean i dont know exactly what im doing... Thanks for letting me clear that up LT

Why would LTsteve assume you DO speak Spanish and HAVE looked into residency? It goes both ways.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
Why would LTsteve assume you DO speak Spanish and HAVE looked into residency? It goes both ways.

Fair enough... but the context of his post included bring lots of snake oil, you must be fluid in spanish and have residency.... i disagree with all three points.... dont need snake oil, dont need to be fluent, and just need to be in the process of residency... and do those three points really have to do with the context of the thread. Its an introduction thread with a question about info on a local industry... Dont think there should be assumptions which is why i responded.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Fair enough... but the context of his post included bring lots of snake oil, you must be fluid in spanish and have residency.... i disagree with all three points.... dont need snake oil, dont need to be fluent, and just need to be in the process of residency... and do those three points really have to do with the context of the thread. Its an introduction thread with a question about info on a local industry... Dont think there should be assumptions which is why i responded.

Just ignore these miserable old farts, and do your thing!
They are just bitter having a tough time making it an entire month on Social Security.
Welcome to SOUR GRAPES dot com!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
A lot of people assume on these things, it is kind of funny ! First of all snake oil has nothing to do with it, those vacation clubs are pretty awesome for people who can afford it and a big industry for a reason, there is a demand. I am also Trilingual, and since most of this type of thing is being purchased by tourists your comments make no sense. And obviously ive already looked in to residency, its actually quite straight forward for Canadians.

I have no knowledge of the industry you are interested in, but just in general, I think this thread, or what it turned into, is a nice change to those many, many threads where people basically "want a job" but have no idea doing what or where.

My first ever job was in sales, outbound warm calling (in my home town in EU), and despite the fact that I was a pretty shy guy, it seemed I had a pretty good grasp in "getting" people, as I did pretty good commissions...

But that was 13 years ago, would not go back to that anymore... Just saying that I think you are right, you can be good at it, as in talented, but it?s definitely not for everyone, and I think most horror stories may come from people who have no idea how to do the jobs they are talking about.

Even in a call center you can do a good or a bad job, it depends on both, the support you get from peers and management, and it depends on your own agenda.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
I have no knowledge of the industry you are interested in, but just in general, I think this thread, or what it turned into, is a nice change to those many, many threads where people basically "want a job" but have no idea doing what or where.

My first ever job was in sales, outbound warm calling (in my home town in EU), and despite the fact that I was a pretty shy guy, it seemed I had a pretty good grasp in "getting" people, as I did pretty good commissions...

But that was 13 years ago, would not go back to that anymore... Just saying that I think you are right, you can be good at it, as in talented, but it?s definitely not for everyone, and I think most horror stories may come from people who have no idea how to do the jobs they are talking about.

Even in a call center you can do a good or a bad job, it depends on both, the support you get from peers and management, and it depends on your own agenda.

I agree there is always many factors to success, big believer in positive energy when it comes to dealing with peers and management, and like any work environment confidence and being straight forward usually go a long way, and in order to be that you have to have a plan and know what your doing, not just want a job and hope it falls on ones lap.
Glad you like what the thread has turned in to and appreciate the post

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
Welcome to the Puerto Plata area. I know a couple of people who have been successful at selling time shares one here in the DR. It seems strange to people who don't understand it. The business I owned and ran in miami for 28 years I never stopped hearing people assure me that there was absolutely "No way" I could make a living at it, but did!
Der Fish

Thanks Derfish appreciate the welcome, really happy to be here.
And that is true, most people equate making a living to having a good salary or betting on a sure thing, so it is strange to most people, and i get it, but i think both of us know the biggest successes come from the long shots. Ive never been good at accepting "No way" either. Curious what you did in Miami, I always like that type of story, the businesses i admire the most are the "No way" businesses that make it happen.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I heard about them actually from another expat i met, im actually looking in to it and will hopefully get a meeting

Thanks AlterEgo

I did the vacation club tour and I do not think I could do that for a living. Not a matter of making money or not it just seems very shady. They do not post or reveal any of their prices for a reason. They hope they can get the person who hasn't done research , maybe had a few to drink, in awe of the helicopter and large villa that probably won't be in their package. They show you the new and nicest villa on the tour. I ask the guy to see the one I could actually reserve and that didn't happen.

I am not saying it is a bad deal for everyone. But they try the high pressure sales, only hand write information and it is buy now or get away from me. I told the guy I had 6 weeks left in Puerto plata so I had time to think about it. He walked away ****ed.

You might get the member only access but even after joining it isn't any cheaper then cheapcarribean.com. Your are buying into a place you can stay at certain times of year for cheap. If you want a villa you can rent one right outside or inside the resort.

Not sure about the other ones in the DR. But my experience with lifestyles vacation club was not too impressive. I went in with an open mind and wanted to see if it was a good deal.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
I did the vacation club tour and I do not think I could do that for a living. Not a matter of making money or not it just seems very shady. They do not post or reveal any of their prices for a reason. They hope they can get the person who hasn't done research , maybe had a few to drink, in awe of the helicopter and large villa that probably won't be in their package. They show you the new and nicest villa on the tour. I ask the guy to see the one I could actually reserve and that didn't happen.

I am not saying it is a bad deal for everyone. But they try the high pressure sales, only hand write information and it is buy now or get away from me. I told the guy I had 6 weeks left in Puerto plata so I had time to think about it. He walked away ****ed.

You might get the member only access but even after joining it isn't any cheaper then cheapcarribean.com. Your are buying into a place you can stay at certain times of year for cheap. If you want a villa you can rent one right outside or inside the resort.

Not sure about the other ones in the DR. But my experience with lifestyles vacation club was not too impressive. I went in with an open mind and wanted to see if it was a good deal.

Definitely there is good and bad sales people in just about everything, so experience will be different for everyone. And it is about status, perks and benefits for a vacation club, those things are bound to differ from resort to resort and by investment. At the end of the day its a service that people are generally happy with and some are not or it wouldnt still be offered. Not good for any business to have upset clients. I have bought many of things i was not happy with and have bought many that i was. there are pros and cons to everything, at the end of the day, personally as a sales person for most of my life I much rather deal with happy people on vacation and wouldnt want to change that by misleading anyone, high pressure sales tactics for sure though, all day long thats the job whether your selling cars, houses or umbrellas on the beach. I think the main problem is some people lack control when excited and spend money they cant afford, even i have been guilty of that at some point in my life, at the end of the day its on us

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015

Sales/marketing is simply a numbers game. Texan would be a "No". Before he exits, you ask what part he didn't like. If JA84 closes just one of the next forty, he is off to the races. The skill is to bring the closing ratio down to one out of ten. It only becomes simpler with experience, knowledge of the demographic and then, a pipeline of referrals will emerge!!! The only challenge for JA84 will be what to do with all those commission dollars!!!! Now I've got to sit for a bit.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
Sales/marketing is simply a numbers game. Texan would be a "No". Before he exits, you ask what part he didn't like. If JA84 closes just one of the next forty, he is off to the races. The skill is to bring the closing ratio down to one out of ten. It only becomes simpler with experience, knowledge of the demographic and then, a pipeline of referrals will emerge!!! The only challenge for JA84 will be what to do with all those commission dollars!!!! Now I've got to sit for a bit.

Gotta be dialing ! building the pipeline... thats what a lot of people didnt get in the call center industry... if you bring your close ratio up a few points by constantly improving the presentation at the end of the year it makes a big difference, have to constantly be learning and evolving, it is what keeps it interesting for me.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015

The commission dollars help a lot as well !!!

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Definitely there is good and bad sales people in just about everything, so experience will be different for everyone. And it is about status, perks and benefits for a vacation club, those things are bound to differ from resort to resort and by investment. At the end of the day its a service that people are generally happy with and some are not or it wouldnt still be offered. Not good for any business to have upset clients. I have bought many of things i was not happy with and have bought many that i was. there are pros and cons to everything, at the end of the day, personally as a sales person for most of my life I much rather deal with happy people on vacation and wouldnt want to change that by misleading anyone, high pressure sales tactics for sure though, all day long thats the job whether your selling cars, houses or umbrellas on the beach. I think the main problem is some people lack control when excited and spend money they cant afford, even i have been guilty of that at some point in my life, at the end of the day its on us

It would be interested if you ended up working there and shared your experience. My guess is there a lot of unhappy people that feel they got scammed. Tell them anything verbally to get them to sign on the dotted line. I read a lot of negative reviews on this location. It sounds like what I was verbally promised but did not sign up.

It sounded like the same sales pitch I was given that appears to mostly be BS. I am not saying a don't think I could make the sale I would just have a hard time ethically after making the sale. They want a Gringo there make other gringos feel comfortable with their purchase.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
It would be interested if you ended up working there and shared your experience. My guess is there a lot of unhappy people that feel they got scammed. Tell them anything verbally to get them to sign on the dotted line. I read a lot of negative reviews on this location. It sounds like what I was verbally promised but did not sign up.

It sounded like the same sales pitch I was given that appears to mostly be BS. I am not saying a don't think I could make the sale I would just have a hard time ethically after making the sale. They want a Gringo there make other gringos feel comfortable with their purchase.

Well in my experience a lying sales person is a lazy sales person, knowing this country and the things it has to offer to tourists here and what the major resorts have access to and invest in there properties there is no need for deception. High pressure sales tactics are needed to close but not deception. So maybe they just need a gringo to show them a few things and lead by example. Just my thoughts

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
selling a product you have to lie to people about ,pressure, up-sell is also known as a scam. There is even an industry to get people out of the time share scam they bought into.
Having said that hello to you Sir :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
selling a product you have to lie to people about ,pressure, up-sell is also known as a scam. There is even an industry to get people out of the time share scam they bought into.

Are saying if it flies, humps or floats rent it?
Timeshares work if you use them and they don't go bankrupt, cough cough.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...0-million-go-missing/article1321817/?page=all

http://dominicanwatchdog.org/page-S...zi-timeshare_scam_ever_in_Dominican_Republic_

http://elliott.org/blog/free-alcoho...h-lifestyles-holidays-vacation-club-disaster/

Last edited:

JA84

Nov 13, 2015

I think there is good and bad in every industry, I know in Canada i felt ive been had by my phone company and electric company more than any others. Was told one thing and got another, some companies are better than others.... There are plenty of people happy with there time shares it all depends on the provider... pressure and up selling has nothing to do with scam, its good business... lying to your customer is bad business and a scam... there is a big difference... every good company in the world up sells in some way or form

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
two of the articles Tamborista shared are about ponzi schemes though where your promised returns on investment... not a vacation club package.... it all depends on the people in charge, we learnt that in the last financial collapse... and the one article that was about time shares , i believe BOA is at much at fault, opening a new card with a 45k charge on it... Also they had too much to drink and bought something they couldnt afford on credit... Dont drink when your going to buy something is my response to that one

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
two of the articles Tamborista shared are about ponzi schemes though where your promised returns on investment... not a vacation club package.... it all depends on the people in charge, we learnt that in the last financial collapse... and the one article that was about time shares , i believe BOA is at much at fault, opening a new card with a 45k charge on it... Also they had too much to drink and bought something they couldnt afford on credit... Dont drink when your going to buy something is my response to that one

BRO - I hope you are bringing enough funds to live off of, that is all I have to add, timeshare sales are a joke.
Are you familiar with the timeshares sold @ Sosua Bay Hotel?
Case in point.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
I wish when people complained online about something like time shares they would put it simply :
I got hammered and bought something on credit i could not afford and now i am paying for it. That good salesman had me feeling so good and for a minute i believed spending 45k was a great idea, I love it there, love it enough to spend 45k but truth is i cant afford it. I made a mistake, dont drink and buy folks !

I say this because the people who bought and dont complain about purchase were able to afford it and use it every year with minimal complaints. There are plenty of people that are happy with there purchase.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
BRO - I hope you are bringing enough funds to live off of, that is all I have to add, timeshare sales are a joke.
Are you familiar with the timeshares sold @ Sosua Bay Hotel?
Case in point.

The new thing is vacation club memberships, you dont own anything , you just get great upgrades for when you stay depending on your package. Its offered by the more credible resorts... Anything in Sosua is questionable lol... Either way, Its ok I dont need to be convinced one way or the other