New to Puerto Plata from Canada

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have owned a timeshare in Park City Utah for about 30 yrs.
My friend did the development and i bought at the end - when it didn't pay to keep the sales office open for the last few units.
We bought the last dozen or so...........late march, perfect skiing.
My partner & I have 3 weeks concurrent.

Then the Olympics were announced
I got hustled ( a $100Saks gift card) to preview a new development on Main Street... a 'skiway' over the street directly to the resort.

I turned it down..... $25,000 = 3 bedrooms that broke into a 2 bed & 1 bed rental...............DUMB

A few years later, Wolf Mt became the Canyons
Then the Canyons expanded
Then I got hustled again for another timeshare...

I said ...Oh No... been there done that - I didn't even buy downtown at the 'skiway ' project

The salesman chided me.... Nooo, you didn't pass on that ??
Yup, did so

They've tripled............

Timeshare can be a good deal... it all depends.........

We have had our 30 yrs of free lodging and skiing on Olympic territory

SnowBird, Alta, Snow Basin, Deer Valley, Park City
All flying into an airport that has never closed for snow and is 35 minutes from the hills.

The only one in No America..... Vail/Eagle doesn't count

That's why my friend did the development........

There are good deals to be had here in RD too.....

But you need to pick & choose

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@ JA84 - Don't try and sell me, I would not touch one of these clubs for FREE.
Good luck, I hope you brought enough funds to eat!

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
@ JA84 - Don't try and sell me, I would not touch one of these clubs for FREE.
Good luck, I hope you brought enough funds to eat!

Hahaha, ok well clearly your not a buyer, but i can buy you something to eat lol

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I think there is good and bad in every industry, I know in Canada i felt ive been had by my phone company and electric company more than any others. Was told one thing and got another, some companies are better than others.... There are plenty of people happy with there time shares it all depends on the provider... pressure and up selling has nothing to do with scam, its good business... lying to your customer is bad business and a scam... there is a big difference... every good company in the world up sells in some way or form

With Lifestyles I think is not up selling that is the problem. It is the lying to your customer that is the problem. Just a warning I would really be cautious about working for them.

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
Ok folks this has been fun but its getting away from why i originally posted it which is making some new contacts... We know you wont buy timeshares or club packages, but some people do and will... as william webster said there is good and bad investments out there... there is no need to debate that

Last edited:

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
With Lifestyles I think is not up selling that is the problem. It is the lying to your customer that is the problem. Just a warning I would really be cautious about working for them.

I do have morals, im obviously going to try and work for the best company out there, and i was glad you mentioned it cause i will be checking them all out

Last edited:

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
JA84, William Webster seems like a live prospect while Tambo and Texan appear to need a little more schmoozing. Maybe a flaming dessert on the veranda or a free "Learn Bachata While Driving" video??

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
JA84, William Webster seems like a live prospect while Tambo and Texan appear to need a little more schmoozing. Maybe a flaming dessert on the veranda or a free "Learn Bachata While Driving" video??

haha, well if that doesnt sell them !!! I think i might have to get a few drinks in to Tambo though, followed by private Bachata lessons from a cute resort waitress, and then sign him up for the V.I.P. package lol

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
haha, well if that doesnt sell them !!! I think i might have to get a few drinks in to Tambo though, followed by private Bachata lessons from a cute resort waitress, and then sign him up for the V.I.P. package lol

Tapas & a cute waitress might get my attention, I do not drink.
Why don't you go find a buyer for that other poster's vacas and finca instead of making small talk with this TS basura?

JA84

Nov 13, 2015
Tapas & a cute waitress it is Tambo ! and ill set you up with something good, then you can share it with everyone on DR1 !

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012

Good one !!!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Hi, Im James from Montreal, recently decided to sell everything and move down here.
Im hoping i can meet some good contacts on here, maybe make a friend or two.
I am currently looking for work here, I have extensive experience in sales, business management and setting up
and managing call center operations. I hear that selling time shares and vacation club packages here can be quite
lucrative for a good sales person like myself. Hoping that there might be members on here that can point me in the right direction or provide a contact for that kind of work.

Thanks,
Happy to be here, love the DR !
James

years ago.....a person ould and did make money selling timeshares and condos.../apts....but no big projects now...t.s. were 8$K condos were 80$k and if you sold 5-8 apts u made more than ur u.s. $... good luk open a jet ski rental on the beach...keep prices low and work with the tour operators...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Im not looking for it to make sense to you.... Let me reiterate since a few people seem to be imagining their own scenarios and conclusion to my story... I only posted this to say hello, I am a new member happy to be in the DR and if you have any helpful information to one part of my plan, please share. I dont mind advice but dont assume i dont know any Spanish or have not looked in to residency and the legalities of living and working here.... Just because it doesnt make sense to you does not mean i dont know exactly what im doing... Thanks for letting me clear that up LT

Hey, go for it and good luck!